Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2003 4:58:51 PM EDT
I want a rem 700 in 6mm remington.  I was just informed that the accuracy is hit or miss out of the box.  can anyone tell me exactly what to expect
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:30:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't believe everything you read on the 'net, Tom. Quite a few Chicken Littles/Doubting Thomases (not you) post their stories of woe and scare everyone else into a frenzy.

The Model 700 has enjoyed an excellent out-of-the-box accuracy reputation throughout its manufacturing history. If there's a problem, Remington will back their product. Can't ask for much more than that.

My Model 700 VS LH shot sub-MOA from the get-go. No modifications, no nothing.

Worry about the important things, like getting some ammo!!!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Hop, I can't agree more with Jim. On this site and several other I keep hearing that Remington's are junk. I keep on buying them and love them more and more. Why 6mm? How about one of those new short mags? What will you be shooting with it? MIKE.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#3]
WoodChucks and prairie dogs crossed my mind but mostly i want it to punch paper. I was thinking i could use it for deer too but it may be a bit heavy to walk around with all day.  Might need a model 7 for that.
Ive wanted to take a trip for prairie dogs for years and i think this year i will finally be able to.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:19:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Tom, Well have you seen the article in this months Guns&Ammo about the Winchester .243 Winchester Super Short Magnum. Looks like it has lots of variety, small game punching paper and medium size game. MIKE.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#5]
My PSS shoots 3/8" groups with my handloads--it's box stock.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2003 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I own a 700P in .308 and a 700VSSF in .223.

Both were sub MOA out of the box.

'nuff said.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:07:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one in a 7mm Mag.  It shoots 5 shot groups @ 1/4" with only a trigger job done to it.  However, my Dad has a .270 that is probably 25+ years old now.  I can't get a group under 3/4" at 100 yards with it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#8]
About three years ago I bought a plain-Jane 700 ADL in .308.  With regular old cheap UMC ammo, and no tweaks to the gun, from the bench it will shoot into about 1.5 to 1.25" inches at 100 yards, until the barrel heats up... at which point it tends to open up vertically a bit.  I managed to shoot a couple MOA groups with handloads a few times, but I can't do it "all day long."

My 700 P in .308 will do a little better, but the barrel heats up slower, so it will shoot tight longer than the ADL.  A friend recently bought a Sendero in .270 that actually outshoots the 700 P.

I have confidence that any modern 700 will be quite accurate, or Remington will take care of it.  I think your biggest risk is getting hold of a used 700 that Bubba has "improved" somehow.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a 700BDL in .30-06 with a wood stock and no mods that shoots 1.5"@100yds with normal factory stuff (not the high priced premium loads).  My handloads will shoot 1.25" but I can't get it to 1MOA.  It's also very light, which may hurt accuracy but you can take it deer hunting all day and it doesn't wear you down.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:55:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Fear not!

You will need a trigger job and a clean barrel.  The rifle as you receive it new will be fouled.  Clean it to bare metal and make sure it is cleaned often. Test drive as many loads as you can to determine what shoots best in YOUR gun.

Get a trigger job...3 pounds release or less, $30 +/-.

Obtain the best scope you can afford...$200 and up plus base and rings, installation should be free.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#11]
With a 700 PSS and a 700VS in my gun safe, I agree with most of what has been said. Where you going p-dogging, Hop?? I've been wanting to go, also. Hope to next year.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 5:06:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
With a 700 PSS and a 700VS in my gun safe, I agree with most of what has been said. Where you going p-dogging, Hop?? I've been wanting to go, also. Hope to next year.

I have the PSS in .300 mag and im happy with it.  It shoots pretty well with blackhills 190 grain but i havent changed the trigger or fine tuned a load yet.  No clue where im going P-Dog hunting yet as i havent really sat down yet.  I will research it a bit next week.  Ive been wanting to do this for a few years

Jim thanks for setting me straight.  You always know the right answer.

New Ar 223:
Dont worry.  I dont go cheap on optics or the mounts.  Badger or leupold rings  and bases.  HAve an  iron brigade 1 piece mount on my pss and its very good.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I just bought a Remington 700 PSS in .308 and haven't had much luck with it. Four to five minute of angle shooting (crappy PMC) match ammo over sandbags. My Ruger .22-250 shot 5/8" five shot groups the same day.

I'm not willing to give up - a brand new rifle needing a bit of hot copper sent down the bore to polish things out. I've bought four different brands of match ammo for the next attempt at grouping the bitch ... then the weather went and got too hot.

The trigger was easy enough to do myself using a screw driver and a digital trigger guage. Got the thing set to 3 pounds one ounce. Really sweet trigger that feels lighter than it is. Feels better than the Ruger which out shot it so I feel my issues are with the ammo or the barrel - both of which are still in early testing.

My Mini-14 will group as good as my Remington 700
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I just bought a Remington 700 PSS in .308 and haven't had much luck with it. Four to five minute of angle shooting (crappy PMC) match ammo over sandbags. My Ruger .22-250 shot 5/8" five shot groups the same day.

I'm not willing to give up - a brand new rifle needing a bit of hot copper sent down the bore to polish things out. I've bought four different brands of match ammo for the next attempt at grouping the bitch ... then the weather went and got too hot.

The trigger was easy enough to do myself using a screw driver and a digital trigger guage. Got the thing set to 3 pounds one ounce. Really sweet trigger that feels lighter than it is. Feels better than the Ruger which out shot it so I feel my issues are with the ammo or the barrel - both of which are still in early testing.

My Mini-14 will group as good as my Remington 700

Check the crown.  My LTR came with an absolutely fucked up crown that you could snag skin on from all the burrs.  If that's clean, you need to start from scratch with getting the thing ready to shoot.  If you don't know how to do that, please advise - I'd be happy to get you pointed in the right direction.

Oh, and throw that PMC crap in the trash where it belongs.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#15]
My .223 ADL shot minute groups right out of the box.  Subminute happens from time to time.
And my PSS .308, second hand, shoots groups that are lovely to behold.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 2:52:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Bought some 2230c, looked up a load -168 Sier, first 5 down the barrel into just over .5 in, but it does this most of the time anyhow. Tasco CU 8x40x56 helps a lot.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 9:39:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Paul, I'd be sending that rifle back to Remington, pronto! Pretty much every PSS I've come across is at least MOA, if not quite a bit better. 4-5MOA!!!

My deer hunting rifle is a Rem 700 ADL mountain rifle, 30'06, stainless light profile barrel with a synthetic stock. When I first bought it NIB back around 1993, it would vertically string shots as the barrel heated. A little judicious sanding of the stock freefloated the barrel and cured the stringing. It has shot MOA or better with nearly every factory load I've put through it. Topped with a VariX3 3.5-10x40, I have a 3 shot group on paper with an extreme spread of 1.5 inches at 200 yds, and several groups at 100 yds in the 0.5 inch range. Not bad for a lightweight deer rifle. I had an equally accurate .308 PSS which I sold to a friend.

However...my brother has a fairly new Rem 700 ADL in 300 Win Mag. It suffered from a rough chamber (easily repaired) and an out of spec bolt (a factory authorized repair center was unable to successfully install a new extractor). The gun is still at Ilion.

I have owned a fair number of Remington products, and have always been happy with them. I will say the new action/trigger lock leaves me cold.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:17:38 AM EDT
[#18]
My 700pss was a 1.25 moa out of the box with factory ammo.

Handloads let me find a 7 shot 1 hole group, witnessed by a few of the dfwcrew.

Handloads are a necessity for any good rifle.

TXL
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 1:53:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I own four different 700s.  Not one shoots more than 1MOA with handloads.  The .22-250 shoots less than .5 inch at 100yds with 5 shot groups.

My dad owns....Hell I don't even know how many he owns....more than a dozen.  Not one is an inaccurate rifle.  He has an old 788 in .22-.250 that has shot 5shot 1 hole groups at 100yds.  Cheapest Rem he owns and it is the most accurate.  We laugh when he shoots his VSSF and it "ONLY" shoots a couple of shots out of 5 that are one holers.  "Ya, too bad it isn't a 788." LOL  

If I had to take a rifle out of the box...any mass produced rifle I could choose, the Rem 700 would be it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Got to have a clean barrel boys, pretend this is a scientific experiment.

Start with a clean barrel, no new factory rifle comes to you clean.

Clean to bare metal...not fun, but required.

Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:32:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh I'm not at all worried about the rifle!

First thing I always do is bust out the manual and field strip the rifle and do a good cleaning job. On the Remmington I used a one piece .30 caliber rod and a soft nylon brush.

I'm certain that the issue is the ammo and a brand new barrel. If I can ever arrange the weather and my schedule I'm in business. The weather this weekend is great - only in the 90's but my dance card is full ... there is a bit of time Saturday afternoon but everybodys on the highways and at the range then.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 1:41:38 AM EDT
[#22]
My Remington 700 VS shot ½MOA groups (still does) with Lapua Scenar 167gr factory load.

MN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top