Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2007 9:46:28 AM EDT
All,
I've had an AIM Ishapore for a few years now, and am just getting around to thoroughly refinishing it.

First let me say that this thing was cheap enough to begin with, I am not concerned with returning the rifle to as-issued condition--simply to de-grease, refinish the wood, and make the metal parts black, somehow.

In the course of removing the cosmoline, I managed to take all the stoving off, exposing some mild metal pitting, light rusting in spots, and some areas of (now greenish) parkerizing.

I was considering using duplicolor engine paint to restore a black color, and provide some corrosion resistance. But, I have polished a few areas to bare metal where there was rusting. Is it safe to simply apply the duplicolor on top of the bare metal?

Any other finish tips would be appreciated; if I've pissed anybody off with my treatment of this poor Ishy, well at least I haven't gone and sporterized it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Hello GT . .

Looks like your Ishy looked like my Ishy  ! !

Mine had enough black paint on it to paint a truck -- a really BIG truck ! !

I stripped both the metal and the wood.  Refinished the wood with several coats of tung oil.

As for the metal, I used Duplic-Color High Heat engine paint -- the 1200 degree stuff.

First, make sure that ALL oil/grease is removed from all the metal surfaces.  I think I used acetone as a "final wash".  (just make sure you do this OUTSIDE or in a garage with open doors -- if not, you'll be so fuzzy-headed that you'll forget what you're doing  ! ! )

Then . .  I warmed up the metal parts in my oven.  Most ovens are a "30 inch" size, so the barreled action might not fit inside (mine's a 40 inch size - popped right in ! )  If it won't fit in the oven, try using a hair-dryer, set on high-heat.  Seems that the paint will adhere better when the metal is warm.  Spray a couple of light coats and it you can't get it back into the oven, let it dry/cure for about 10 days or so.

Mine came out looking really nice  !   Nice, satin finish on the metal.  So far it's held up really good over the past year with several trips to the local range.  

And . .  for what it's worth, mine will hold a nice 2 1/2 inch group at 200 yards -- off the bench -- with surplus Port ammo.  

Can't ask for no better than that  ! !
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#2]
well, I went ahead and applied some duplicolor 500 in a semi-gloss black. It's drying in the garage right now. I will post pics when it is dry, but I will probably refrain from re-assembling the parts until the full 7 day cure time is complete. Unless you've had no trouble assembling earlier?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Wait, son . . .  wait . . .

No problmes, but let the paint cure for at least seven days.

Believe me, you'll be glad you did . . . .
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:24:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 2:43:06 PM EDT
[#5]
right you are, the both of you. and on inspection, I left a few spots a little light. so it looks like I need to wait the full 7 days.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top