Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
9/23/2020 3:47:02 PM
Posted: 1/1/2007 9:46:28 AM EDT
All,
I've had an AIM Ishapore for a few years now, and am just getting around to thoroughly refinishing it.

First let me say that this thing was cheap enough to begin with, I am not concerned with returning the rifle to as-issued condition--simply to de-grease, refinish the wood, and make the metal parts black, somehow.

In the course of removing the cosmoline, I managed to take all the stoving off, exposing some mild metal pitting, light rusting in spots, and some areas of (now greenish) parkerizing.

I was considering using duplicolor engine paint to restore a black color, and provide some corrosion resistance. But, I have polished a few areas to bare metal where there was rusting. Is it safe to simply apply the duplicolor on top of the bare metal?

Any other finish tips would be appreciated; if I've pissed anybody off with my treatment of this poor Ishy, well at least I haven't gone and sporterized it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 10:30:06 AM EDT
Hello GT . .

Looks like your Ishy looked like my Ishy  ! !

Mine had enough black paint on it to paint a truck -- a really BIG truck ! !

I stripped both the metal and the wood.  Refinished the wood with several coats of tung oil.

As for the metal, I used Duplic-Color High Heat engine paint -- the 1200 degree stuff.

First, make sure that ALL oil/grease is removed from all the metal surfaces.  I think I used acetone as a "final wash".  (just make sure you do this OUTSIDE or in a garage with open doors -- if not, you'll be so fuzzy-headed that you'll forget what you're doing  ! ! )

Then . .  I warmed up the metal parts in my oven.  Most ovens are a "30 inch" size, so the barreled action might not fit inside (mine's a 40 inch size - popped right in ! )  If it won't fit in the oven, try using a hair-dryer, set on high-heat.  Seems that the paint will adhere better when the metal is warm.  Spray a couple of light coats and it you can't get it back into the oven, let it dry/cure for about 10 days or so.

Mine came out looking really nice  !   Nice, satin finish on the metal.  So far it's held up really good over the past year with several trips to the local range.  

And . .  for what it's worth, mine will hold a nice 2 1/2 inch group at 200 yards -- off the bench -- with surplus Port ammo.  

Can't ask for no better than that  ! !
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:24:10 PM EDT
well, I went ahead and applied some duplicolor 500 in a semi-gloss black. It's drying in the garage right now. I will post pics when it is dry, but I will probably refrain from re-assembling the parts until the full 7 day cure time is complete. Unless you've had no trouble assembling earlier?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:55:17 PM EDT
Wait, son . . .  wait . . .

No problmes, but let the paint cure for at least seven days.

Believe me, you'll be glad you did . . . .
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:24:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 2:43:06 PM EDT
right you are, the both of you. and on inspection, I left a few spots a little light. so it looks like I need to wait the full 7 days.

Top Top