Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2005 7:16:40 AM EDT
 What do you guys prefer for 1911 carry....particularly concealed holsters...but what do you like, conversely,  for open carry? field use.  Feel free to give nods to more than one, if you prefer.....
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:00:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a Hellweg IWB for concealed carry.
For open or range carry, I have a Dillon Cactus League Slide belt holster. Don't know if Dillon still carries it though. It's been a great holster.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:14:10 PM EDT
[#2]
 I was going to get the Dillion "Arizona" 1911 rig...based off of an early 1900's design but I decided to maintain a more modern appeal...I picked up a Galco Dual Position "Phoenix" holster.....very, very comfy......and tossed in a dual 1911 mag carrier.  Also picked up one of the mag carriers for my soon to be refinished Browning HP.  VERY nice, indeed.

I based this purchase of off my satisfaction with a nice, paddle HP rig that my best friend gave me many, many years ago.  I am not a fan of paddle rigs but the Galco was about as good as you can get...I need to get a "Phoenix" for my HP now!!!!

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Biachi Askin's Avenger that I really like.  For CCW, try the Sparks Summer Special.  Takes a bit to get used to, but they really work well.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:38:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Blade Tech IWB. Mine has held up through 10+ years of daily use and is still going strong.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Blade Tech IWB. Mine has held up through 10+ years of daily use and is still going strong.

How bulky is it? I have some of there regular stuff, but isn't it kind of thick for IWB?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:49:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I have never really understood the purpose behind IWB holsters.

If you stuff the gun down your pants the butt will stick out (unless you use a tuckable holster), so you will still need a covering garment.  If I'm going to wear on overshirt/coat/vest, I might as well use an OWB holster.  Compared with the comfort and convenience of a nice leather strong side OWB, I've just never found a good use for IWB carry.

Maybe I've just missed the point.

But returning to the question posed in this thread, I find the Dillon Cactus League Slide to be great for CCW,  I also have a Don Hume strong side OWB that I like an awful lot.

For general range carry, it's hard to beat the basic Uncle Mikes kydex paddle.  Tough as nails and cheap as dirt.

Disconnector
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 2:54:54 AM EDT
[#7]
The IWB conceals much better than a OWB type holster. Once your used to them, they are just as comfortable. I actually find it to be more comfortable as my pants also help support the guns weight and help keep the holster from moving around. An IWB also pulls the grip of the gun in tight to the body.

While you do normally need to wear a cover garment with both, nothing shows below the belt with an IWB, so if you reach for something on a high shelf at the grocery store, your holster doesnt come popping out when your coat rides up. Same goes if you bend over or forward. The IWB also tends to print a lot less. Even without a cover garment, the IWB is a lot less noticeable and you can easily keep it out of sight to anyone in front of you with a subtle shift in body position.  

Two things on a nice new leather holster that will give you away, especially to another gun wearer is, the creak and the smell. New leather holsters can be very noisy and are about ten times louder than a squeaky pair of boots. (I always felt like I was in a three stooges movie when I wore one and walked) The smell, as nice as it is, is another dead giveaway. They need to come up with one of those little Christmas trees in that flavor.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:16:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have never really understood the purpose behind IWB holsters.

AK103K pretty well covered it.  

I find that I have to wear a much longer jacket to effectively cover a belt holster.  That is fine in some situations, but not all.  Like AK noted, an IWB holster holds the gun tighter to the body, helping to keep it concealed.  I have been known to carry a full-sized 1911 or Glock under nothing but a T-shirt with a good IWB holster.  The gun pokes out more with a majority of belt holsters that I have tried.

If I am sitting for long periods of time, I have found that a belt holster is more comfortable.  When I have to drive for several hours at a stretch, I greatly prefer a belt holster.

For a belt holster, some kind of black synthetic or leather may be a better choice in this day and age.  If you reach up for something and the bottom of your holster pokes out below your jacket, a black one would likely be mistaken for a phone case.  I haven't seen many tan molded leather phone cases, though.  Of course, the ideal situation is not to let it poke out at all.  Once again the IWB does a better job of this.

To answer the original question, I have a Kramer IWB which I have used for years.  I forget the brand of belt holster that I've been using lately.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:14:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Sadly, I have become too immensely fat for an IWB.  The only way I could return the the IWB is to either

A: buy an entirely new wardrobe with room to spare for an IWB in my waistline

B: lose weight.....which I am working on

However, I have noticed that even in my skinny days, the guns in IWB's often dug into my ribcage ( now cushioned by a healthy layer of man fat )....the OWB Galco Phoenix that I bought the other day seems to keep the gun exactly where it should be without any diggin' into the great white underbelly or even side belly.  GREAT HOLSTER!!!

Now, if I can find one for the High Power.....

by the way...thank you all for your replies.....and let's keep 'em comin'...plenty to discuss and more holster talk to be done!!!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:33:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Assault Systems "jackass rig" shoulder hoster...
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:38:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:48:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Andrew custom leather built this for me, its has a slight cross draw (dont care for FBI cant)  I wear it on my strong side, and use beltman double thick belt. I dont care for IWB, but thats me, this holster hugs soooo well I often forget I have it on. I have a total of 150.00 with my setup.

There are a lot of talented leather makers, so take your pick.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 12:06:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Comptac Kydex for me

paddle for the range, ghrukra for CCW
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#14]
V-Rod.....that is a SWEET bobtail.  Nice leather, too!!!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:49:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Milt Sparks Versa-Max II for IWB
Kramer Leather Vertical Scabbard for OWB

Both are very high quality leather holsters, that wear very well (especially in horsehide) and are extremely comfortable.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:31:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I carried a full sized 1911 today on a few errands.

I use a piece of para cord about 6 inches long with a loop on both ends.

Thread your belt through the loops, then stick the pistol through it and into your waistband.  Put your shirt (sweater for me today) over it.  This allows for unnoticable concealment, the pistol can't slip down into your pants, and costs about $0.10.

Balming
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#17]
PWL -- the #120ST or #121ST for OWB.  

ETA: There's nothing like some fine English leather. These guys set the standard.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:48:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Open carry, field use for me:  Safariland 6004.  Sturdy, good retention, and fits me well (doesn't flop around like other drop leg holsters I have used).  YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:25:37 PM EDT
[#19]
 Though I really like the Phoenix model that I bought, it appears to be more of a high qualtiy sporting or duty ( like detective ) use gun that a concealed carry rig for my location ( Phoenix ) sooooooo....I am off to Galco tomorrow to pick up a FLETCH concealment rig for my 1911 and another for my High Power.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top