Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2005 8:54:13 PM EDT
I want to rebuild my Ka-bar. It belonged to my dad when he was in WW2; he carried it from Guadalcanal to Iwo Jima, and Korea, and gave it to me when I joined the Marines for Vietnam.
The sheath and leather washers on the handle were all rotted away, blade somewhat pitted, handle definitely pitted, and small chip in the blade. I want to find someone who can do the work, plus new sheath, and handle made from rubber, like pistol grips from hogue. Does someone make these? Anyone here care to give it a try?

OJF
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:53:10 AM EDT
[#1]
It sounds like you have a great knife with a lot of family history. Given the high sentimental value of your original and low cost for picking up a replacement for everyday use, I'd leave it as it is.  If you insist on rebuilding, your best bet may be to pick up a current production version for part swapping.

YMMV

Blitz
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Look on the Kabar website. I thought I saw something on there on rebuilding originals.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Any decent knife maker could restore/re-build your Kabar.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:12:13 PM EDT
[#4]
i Rebuilt an old ka-bar from ww2.

its not original.

Cotton cloth strips wound around handle to bulk out the grip.

then black duct tape.

then od green paracord knot wrap.

its at home in a od green duct tape sheath.

Its now fully functional as good as a new ka-bar.
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top