Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2001 3:23:34 PM EDT
I seem to have an isue with my AR jamming once it starts to get dirty, after say 100-150 rnds.
After that, I'll start to get feeding issues as well as the occasional spent casing that wont extract.
I think it must be a cleaning issue, because the first few magazines seen to go through with out a hitch.
How much oil should be on the mechanism after cleaning? Should it be wet or relatively dry?
I use Break-Free as my cleaning agent.
Also I *typically* use PMC ammunition.
Any insight or comments would be appreciated !

Link Posted: 12/4/2001 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a chamber brush and give it hell.
what kind of barrel do you have?
Colt and Bushmaster chome lined are the most reliable in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 3:48:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I seem to have an isue with my AR jamming once it starts to get dirty, after say 100-150 rnds.
After that, I'll start to get feeding issues as well as the occasional spent casing that wont extract.
I think it must be a cleaning issue, because the first few magazines seen to go through with out a hitch.
How much oil should be on the mechanism after cleaning? Should it be wet or relatively dry?
I use Break-Free as my cleaning agent.
Also I *typically* use PMC ammunition.
Any insight or comments would be appreciated !

I have a new dpms rifle that I have been shooting fairly extensivly with the SA battle pack ammo and I had several failures to extract and feed in the first 30 rounds even though the rifle was spotless clean and lubed inside. After 30 or so rounds I have had ZERO jams or misfeeds.  I clean the barrel with Butches Bore Shine and the rest of the gun with break-free.  The breakfree dries to an almost dry-sheen that seems to be slick enough so I would say that the carrier mechanism should not be "wet" with the stuff.  

I have read that sometimes the extractor gets hot and the spring tension changes enough to cause malfunctions.. There is a little donut looking do-dad that goes under the extractor thats supposed to help this but my gun certainly works fine w/o.  Is your gun new? If so then mabey it is just still breaking in?  

Link Posted: 12/5/2001 5:56:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Clean and lubricate per the military operator's manual for best reliability:  old.ar15.com/books/TM9-1005-319-10.pdf.

Not sure how close PMC is to military spec, nor how close your rifle is, but start with the "dash 10" and see how it goes.  Extraction is often a problem with tight, rough chambers common on inexpensive barrels (such as the kit guns and Olympic).

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 8:18:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, the Rifle is an American Spirit Arms ASA15.
It has a 16" Wilson 1:9 Twist National Match Heavy Barrel.
I have 2 *new* 10 round magazines that I got when I bought the rifle, and I have purchased some pre-ban and surplus 20 and 30 rounders. The problem seems to occur more often with the 30 rounders, but will happen occasionally with the other mags.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#5]
There is such thing as too much lubrication.  If you put a lot of oil on your bolt carrier and then get powder residue and such blowing back into the action via the gas tube, the action can gunked up to the point of malfunctioning.  Or as others have suggested, you might have a tight chamber that once it gets hot has issues extracting spent cases.

My .02
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 10:18:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Well, the Rifle is an American Spirit Arms ASA15.
It has a 16" Wilson 1:9 Twist National Match Heavy Barrel.
I have 2 *new* 10 round magazines that I got when I bought the rifle, and I have purchased some pre-ban and surplus 20 and 30 rounders. The problem seems to occur more often with the 30 rounders, but will happen occasionally with the other mags.

HMM Suspect barrel (chamber issues) and 10 round magazines.  Test your USGI magazines, worn-out ones do get surplused out (and worn out USGI mags are just as good as USA mags - i.e. junk).

Go over to the Maintenance and/or Build-It forum and search for Chamber Polishing.  That will probably help you out.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 10:21:33 AM EDT
[#7]
There ought to be some AK people in here shortly to offer their advice.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 2:02:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a PWA that jammed and a Armalite in 308 that jammed...the PWA was old and been worked by( a dumb ass )  a  time or two,maybe thats why it jammed..So i sold it ...as for the ArmaliteT10 it was new out of the box.Thats what pissed me off so much about it ......I looked on their web site(Armalie's) seems that I wasn't the only one that had the trouble..I personaly think it had to small of a gas tube,but i mite be wrong  ..I know some of yall here swear by the armalite ,I think the 223 armalte mite be ok   but not the 308....I have (3) colt AR's ..never had a jam not one ...I'v used dif. mags some good some bad  still no jams,I have one mag that will not push the last two rounds in the rifle , but It don't jam...150 or 200 rounds should not make one jam  I think your trouble mite be the AMMO..
If not sale it ...thats how i fixed the ones i had trouble with .....works every time...The AR is my rifle of choice..ALL AROUND..best thing going........

Semper-fi
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 4:39:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I've never had problems with my LEGP. Once I put 300 rds of South American and about 300 rds of British through it in one day without any cleaning. It functioned flawlessly. This after having only put 60rds of it the previous week(with a cleaning in between)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top