Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/24/2005 10:38:07 AM EDT
I am interested in picking up 5 or so of these items.
What I would like to know is…
Do they have a expiration date? Since there is most likely some form of chemical mixture in them, I am sure they “go bad” after a while. How long is what I am curious about?
Also, are these legal to own/buy for a civilian?
If so how much do they usually go for?
How do the rechargeable ones compare to the one time use ones?
Any info is greatly appreciated.
thanks
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:06:53 AM EDT
Not legal for civilians, considered a dangerous device by the govt, and I'm sure someone will be along shortly with more detail
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:12:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bushrag:
Not legal for civilians, considered a dangerous device by the govt, and I'm sure someone will be along shortly with more detail

Perfectly legal for civilians if you can find someone willing to sell them to civilians.

They are considered a destructive device and as such fall under the NFA, which means you have to pay a $200 tax on each one. There is also a bunch of shit you have to go through as far as storage. Each of them would have to have a serial number AND IIRC if you ever use one you have to report it to the BATFE that you used it. The other thing is that they may be restricted or banned at the state level, so while there is no federal law against them, there could be state or local ordanances against it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:13:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/24/2005 11:15:27 AM EDT by G_MAN]

Originally Posted By Bushrag:

are they a class 3 item?

(already answered above)
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:41:20 PM EDT
1.) They are classified as DDs, and have a $200 transfer tax PER flash bang, not including the cost of the FB itself.
2.) Wait a few months to get one approved by the NFA branch, after getting local CLEO signoff....
3.) Finding a company to actually sell you one? Good luck....
4.) Some states don't allow explosive DDs. WA state allows large bore DDs (40mm launcher, etc.) but not explosive DDs such as FBs and grenades for non-leo agencies and military.
5.) The only (very expensive) work around is to become a type 9 dealer or type 10 manufacturer of destructive devices, actively working in the business. I believe those fees are $3,000 for the first 3 years, and then $1,000 a year thereafter. I also think you have to have your FFL before adding the type 9 or type 10, but I'm not 100% on that.

I wish it weren't so......
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:52:04 PM EDT
very unfortunate....
damn i really wanted one too...
Top Top