Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/7/2002 12:20:54 PM EDT
I'm looking for a quality SS 5"bbl govt model w/ good sights for less than $500. I know I'm asking for a lot, but someone's got to make one. I've looked at Rock Islands, but they're now over $440 for a mil-spec. Too bad Taurus hasn't made a 1911. I've always been happy with their quality and price. TIA, ZT
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:24:16 PM EDT
Your in luck. My friend just bought a SS 5inch full size 1911. He payed $450 bran new. It's a Charles Daly. The model is a full size superior. They say that its better than a springfield mil spec, but not as good as a Kimber or Springfield in the same type of gun.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:25:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 12:42:20 PM EDT
I've looked at the Charles Daly. They seem pretty good. I've been told they're made by same group thta does Rock Islands.

Thanks for link
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 2:23:22 PM EDT
Get a Norinco 45, search and you will find.
GG
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 3:42:11 PM EDT
Just put a Springfield Mi-Spec on Lay-a-way from a local Outdoor "Superstore". $449 plus tax. I love the basic model, but I'm surfing the Wilson site for upgrades already!
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:14:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Gun Guru:
GG

...Or a good used colt series 70 for about 450..........
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:56:19 PM EDT
Rock island arsenal pistols are made by armscor in the Philippines. Not a bad little pistol. They also make the Charles daily. Sarco in the current issue of shotgun news has them listed for $315. There are also other dealers was similar prices. Find a person to do the transfer and order it from Sarco. Check around you'll find some people charge very little to do the transfer. Maybe fifteen or 20 dollars depending upon where you live.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 5:14:02 PM EDT
I recently bought a Kimber Custom for $550 tax included from a dealer here in Arkansas. That might be an option.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 5:16:05 PM EDT
I recently bought a Kimber Custom for $550 tax included from a dealer here in Arkansas. That might be an option.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 5:50:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Gun Guru:
GG

I've not seen a factory Norinco up close in a long time. Are they of good quality BEFORE being rebuilt? If so, that might be the ticket. ZT
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:45:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/7/2002 10:47:15 PM EDT by Ratters]

Originally Posted By haulingice:

HA, you can't find one around here for less than $700. Gun prices in California are just nuts.

The early Charles Dalys had a lot of problems, but I think they are getting their stuff together.

Try www.1911forum.com for more answers. It's not a fun board like this one but some of them know their stuff.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 11:39:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jleable:
It's a Charles Daly. The model is a full size superior. They say that its better than a springfield mil spec, but not as good as a Kimber or Springfield in the same type of gun.

I tried to ignore it but I just couldnt. The fit, finish, and materials used in the Springfield Mil-Spec are far superior to that of Charles Daly. I have heard nothing good about them. The Springfield has a lifetime warranty along with customer service that cant be beat! Mil-Specs can be found all over for $449. I've put around 800rnds through my mil-spec without a hitch. I like it so much I used it as my carry gun. I also now have the Mil-Spec Operator on layaway.
Top Top