Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/16/2020 9:48:49 PM
Posted: 1/17/2015 6:02:14 PM EST
Hey gents my PVS-14 which is a few years old now but has few hours on it has started making a buzzing noise when I turn it on. It sounds a lot like a mosquito flying by your ear. I cannot recall it ever doing this before. Is my unit damaged or is this a non-issue. I've had probably 5 or 6 of this type of optic issued to me and I've never had this happen. I also worked in my units armory before and can not recall ever hearing 1 out of 200+ units making the noise. I searched and read that either it is the autogation or a bad power supply. Both comments came from TNVC employees and was on this forum. BTW, the noise stops a few seconds after it turns on.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:06:41 PM EST
Originally Posted By Andrew_Jackson:
Hey gents my PVS-14 which is a few years old now but has few hours on it has started making a buzzing noise when I turn it on. It sounds a lot like a mosquito flying by your ear. I cannot recall it ever doing this before. Is my unit damaged or is this a non-issue. I've had probably 5 or 6 of this type of optic issued to me and I've never had this happen. I also worked in my units armory before and can not recall ever hearing 1 out of 200+ units making the noise. I searched and read that either it is the autogation or a bad power supply. Both comments came from TNVC employees and was on this forum. BTW, the noise stops a few seconds after it turns on.

View Quote

My autogated L3 MX-10160 tube does the same thing: it whines for less than a second or so after I power it up, then it goes silent. Could be different temperature as well...

G.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:29:03 PM EST
The whine is the autogate.

My ITT unit from TNVC buzzes too, at first I never noticed it because I was always in the woods with wildlife covering the noise.
In a dead silent room I can hear it.

No biggie, carry on.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:01:09 AM EST
PVS 15s at work do that. We run alkaline batteries when it's cold to mitigate this some
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:36:53 PM EST
Did you just notice it, or did it just start?
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:55:01 PM EST
It just started. Could be my room was really cold yesterday though. I warmed it up and the unit still made the sound but it was significantly less noticeable. I appreciate the comments guys.
Top Top