Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2010 7:11:43 PM EDT
I have a point and shoot Sony dsc-t20 that I'd like to use for taking PVS-14 videos/pics. I searched and found 2 options: one from morovision, monocam ($760), and one from Yukon for $32 on opticsplanet. I'm not spending $700 on an adapter, so looks like yukon is the way to go––if it works. Anyone try it? or know of an low-cost alternative?

thx
Link Posted: 9/28/2010 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know of any other than the yukon for point and shoot, but try searching for "digiscoping"

heres a adapter for slr cameras etc..

tnvc adapter
Link Posted: 9/28/2010 7:33:53 PM EDT
[#2]
A friend uses this one, and I was amazed at the pics,Cabelas
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 6:40:11 AM EDT
[#3]
$700 or $32. Man talk about extremes.....
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 6:43:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

nothing's cheap when it comes to the pvs-14 I'm finding out!
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 6:49:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. It kind of pisses me off to be honest.

Flashlight? 5 bucks.
IR Flashlight? 500 bucks. WTF.

Ok thats a stretch but you get the point.
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 6:51:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flashlight? 5 bucks.

or a $600 helmet mount!
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 7:07:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flashlight? 5 bucks.

or a $600 helmet mount!

Yup...
Since its usually uncle sugar or some agency thats buying with your taxpayer dollars everyone takes what something should cost and multiplies by 10, you know, so they can make a bit of profit...
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 7:15:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flashlight? 5 bucks.

or a $600 helmet mount!

Yup...
Since its usually uncle sugar or some agency thats buying with your taxpayer dollars everyone takes what something should cost and multiplies by 10, you know, so they can make a bit of profit...

Yep. I just wish everyone else thats playing in the field didnt feel the same way. Its one thing to say "Hey this is built and marketed to Uncle Sugar, triple the price!" Its another for a small shop to say "Hey I'll never sell to the military but screw it I'm going to charge like I am!"

My opinion.
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 7:21:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flashlight? 5 bucks.

or a $600 helmet mount!

Yup...

Yep. I just wish everyone else thats playing in the field didnt feel the same way. Its one thing to say "Hey this is built and marketed to Uncle Sugar, triple the price!" Its another for a small shop to say "Hey I'll never sell to the military but screw it I'm going to charge like I am!"

My opinion.

Well that small guy is just entering the market at a similar (usually a tad lower) price point. But yeah its lame.
Link Posted: 9/29/2010 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#10]

I use a Yukon adapter... It's great for still... But only "functional" for video.

Here's an example of a video I took.

The video isn't too bad, but look at the edge - The scope is vibrating everywhere.

David.
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 4:52:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/30/2010 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A friend uses this one, and I was amazed at the pics,Cabelas

Beat me to it- it was awesome.

That's exactly what I use and it works really well. The bottom is threaded so it can be attached to most if not all tripods.
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 6:46:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I may haul my MUM and camera up to Cabelas this weekend and do a test fit.
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 11:35:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cabelas sells a small and large- buy the small for mono applications.

*Hope this helps*

I hope my sister in *Teaxas* can find one of these for her night vision.

*This did help *  
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 8:31:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cabelas sells a small and large- buy the small for mono applications.

*Hope this helps*

Thank you

Wont be making Cabelas tomorrow, I forgot my daughter has a volley ball tournament. Doh!
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/2/2010 5:19:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I actually have two sisters in Teaxas. One in Ft. Worth and the other just a little south. One is a professor at TCU and a user of night vision (with my help) . She is a bunch smarter then me I must say.

I am the dummy in the family !   Mostly cause I type slow ... but,this adapter will help her with photo taking !

Link Posted: 10/3/2010 10:11:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/3/2010 10:13:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/4/2010 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Great pics Chip ! Only wish I was that good .
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 5:44:47 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Great pics Chip ! Only wish I was that good .

TNVC pics are always good... I only wish all my tubes were that good. :)

Although that Night Enforcer did seem to have a rather striking eagle-shaped photocathode defect by the look of it ?

Which reminds me... Are you still working on the comparison? I'm really hanging out to see how that goes - !

David.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 7:38:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 6:52:09 AM EDT
[#24]
tag
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 7:34:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 9:35:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The adapter does require step rings to fit your lens.  Call Calumet Photo

ok, so ill have to ask them for the size of the carmer lens...basicaly ill be stepping up or down (depending on camera lens size)...

but as far as the size of the side that will attach to the carmers, what size is that?

in other words...
i need a step ring to step from (a)? to (b)?...

ill have to get the info for (b) from them depending on camera lens size, but what is the size of (a) the adapter...

does that make sence?
Link Posted: 10/8/2010 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#29]
ok, so here's the rig I came up with using the Yukon mount. It's a crazy contraption, but it does capture the image properly. As you can see from the video, though, my shot missed the coyote even though I pulled the trigger with the cross hairs on him and the scope had just been sighted in that afternoon at that same distance.

So either it's the luckies coyote alive and he moved at the last milisecond, or the adapter is affecting parallax and changing the POI.

here's the video I took with the little Sony T20 video
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
ok, so here's the rig I came up with using the Yukon mount. It's a crazy contraption, but it does capture the image properly. As you can see from the video, though, my shot missed the coyote even though I pulled the trigger with the cross hairs on him and the scope had just been sighted in that afternoon at that same distance.

So either it's the luckies coyote alive and he moved at the last milisecond, or the adapter is affecting parallax and changing the POI.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk218/ironbyron_2008/fb6f5406.jpg
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk218/ironbyron_2008/c619591c.jpg

haha, it looks crazy with the yukon adapter!! looks like it works though
Link Posted: 10/10/2010 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep, the image works, but I'm not sure the scope works after going through the pvs and Sony..

Link Posted: 10/12/2010 5:22:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep, the image works, but I'm not sure the scope works after going through the pvs and Sony..

try testing it on paper so u can see if and how far it is off
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#33]
i just ordered the small cabelas adapter, i will post some picks and a report when it comes in!!!

i wanted to get the TNVC one and use my GF camera, I know the through the tube picks would turn out better, but she is super protective of her work camera, so i figured i would go the cabelas rought so i can use my digital camera and be able to take video as well.  i was able to get some decent picks just lining it up by hand, so i am hoping i will be able to get some kick ass picks!!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 10:55:27 AM EDT
[#34]
the cabelas adapter is great, it seems well made, tons of adjustments, i would still recomend to dummy cord the NV to the adapter just because of the way it attaches, it seams firm, but just in case it would slide out.

once everything is set up, as long as you hold still or the adapter is not shaking or moving, the pics turn out great.  MUCH easier then holding the camera and NV and trying to line them up and hold everything still.

the biggest downfall is when the camera is attached u cant look thru the NV, so make sure the focus on the NV is correct for the distance you are taking pics at.

the adapter also can be attached to tripod, which will give you perfect pics since nothing will be moving.

you still have to make sure the setting on ur camera are set right.  i put mine on macro (since its taking a pic of the NV, not looking thru the tube) and i put mine on a shorted then normal exposure since the flash is off and it trys to have a longer exposer becuase of that.

on the last pics i realised i could zoom in a little and get a full shot instead of the round shot.  only had time to get a few, but like i said, as long as you hold still, you can get crisp pics, i need to see if my tripod for my spotting scope will work!

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 11:09:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I bet you are getting some shift from all those optics in line. As another poster said, shoot it on paper to verify..

It did look like a little pull to the left just as the trigger broke and the  flash, but it could be youtube..

ETA  What kind of flash hider are you using?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top