Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2005 10:29:34 AM EDT
So, I was pondering the wide and wonderful world of rifles from years long past, and put together a wish list of rifles I'd like to get, in some far-off future when I have money. So far I have considered:

Lee-Enfield
M1 Garand
Johnson M1941
M1903
K98/k
Gewehr 43
Mosin-Nagant
SVT-40
K31
AK-47 (of some sort)

So, my question is, what am I forgetting here? And, can someone tell me how hard it would be to get an M1941, and what they cost? I have read about them, and I would guess they are rare and expensive. But what dollar amount are we talking here? If anyone has any other info on the going rate for some of the more hard-to-find rifles, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#1]
the only place i have every heard of that claimed to have 1941s on a regular basis is Mil-Tech.  they are a restoration place.  should be able to find them with a web search.  IIRC they were in the $2000-$2500 range.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:07:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Not Rifles but nice C&R pistols that at one time were tough to find.......

Makarov
Cz-52
Tokarev TT-33
Argy HP's/P-35
Sistema 1911
Walther P-1/P-38's

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 1:41:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So, I was pondering the wide and wonderful world of rifles from years long past, and put together a wish list of rifles I'd like to get, in some far-off future when I have money. So far I have considered:

Lee-Enfield
M1 Garand
Johnson M1941
M1903
K98/k
Gewehr 43
Mosin-Nagant
SVT-40
K31
AK-47 (of some sort)

So, my question is, what am I forgetting here? And, can someone tell me how hard it would be to get an M1941, and what they cost? I have read about them, and I would guess they are rare and expensive. But what dollar amount are we talking here? If anyone has any other info on the going rate for some of the more hard-to-find rifles, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

AIMsuprlus.com is selling the last of their Mark1 no3 Enfields.  Might want to get one now.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:16:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow, excellent information so far, so thanks for that. I have seen the Lee-Enfields on AIMSurplus--but I guess I'll just have to let them pass for now, because like I said, I'm broke. So what kind of availability is there for an SVT-40, or Gewehr 43? And when you buy an AK kit, do they already have the requisite number of US parts?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#5]
As long as you are wishing you should put an M 1 Carbine on your list. G 43 rifles are few and far between any more and expensive.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:53:36 AM EDT
[#6]
rumor is that there are more SVTs and G43s than you could ever imagine waiting off shore.  prob is that the russsians and the the satelite states know that they are worth $ in the US, and the importers won't pay the price they want to get for them.  maybe in the next few years it'll get straight.  the russians also have about 100,000 wincheter 1895 in 7.62x54r in the same limbo.  it's supply and demand. they have the only supply and are waiting for the demand to catch up with their price.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:35:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow son  ! ! !

Must have a lot more money that most  !

Cheapest Johnson I ever saw was a "sporterized" model at $2,500.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:02:31 PM EDT
[#8]
So not considering pistols, these specimens are the only old firearms out there that anyone has taken a serious look at, either in buying or importing for sale? I mean, surely there are a couple rifles from some decade, from some maker, that left its mark on history like these others certainly have?
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
rumor is that there are more SVTs and G43s than you could ever imagine waiting off shore.  prob is that the russsians and the the satelite states know that they are worth $ in the US, and the importers won't pay the price they want to get for them.  maybe in the next few years it'll get straight. the russians also have about 100,000 wincheter 1895 in 7.62x54r in the same limbo.  it's supply and demand. they have the only supply and are waiting for the demand to catch up with their price.

The thought of this rifle remind me of a Louis Lamour novel...and not just a western, I think of Alaska, or Siberia, or of Teddy Roosevelt hunting in Africa.  I would like one of these, even one in a commie caliber.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 12:19:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
... So, my question is, what am I forgetting here? ...

Japanese Arisaka
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#11]
No Swedish Mauser or Japanese Arisaka
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:38:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Aren't the Arisaka's in some goofy Japanese caliber? I want to shoot these things, not put them in a climate-controlled vault. And, what can you tell me about Swedish Mausers?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:45:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Aren't the Arisaka's in some goofy Japanese caliber? I want to shoot these things, not put them in a climate-controlled vault. And, what can you tell me about Swedish Mausers?

6.5mm Japanese (for the Type 38) and 7.7 Japanese (for the Type 99), respectively.

Reloading equipment/components are readily available or, if you're not into handloading, new loaded ammo is available, if not common (not as cheap as current standard cartridges, but not outlandishly expensive either).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top