Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2010 3:51:58 PM EDT
hey guys im currently stationed in S Korea and want to pic up a full sized 7.62 when i come home on leave, what are the pros and cons of each? Im looking at a standard ptr 91 or a  stg58 from DS Arms any help would be appriciated. please include pics
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#1]
no pics I can share but I can tell you I have owned both......I would pick the FAL   cheap parts, readily available......extremely easy to break down, I think a better operating system(adjustable ga system)....and If I am not mistaken maybe a hair lighter.  FAL for me.  Sold them both though.....down side to both, heavy, ammo is expensive, quick follow up shots with a heavy rifle are hard.....did I mention heavy? lol       I have since gone strictly 5.56
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 4:19:23 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the response survivorman i dont mind the heavy since im used to a 249 saw and i want some more power than a 5.56
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#3]
After owning both a PTR91 & a DSA FAL

DAS FAL
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 4:37:36 PM EDT
[#4]
currently owning both, I'd say you really cant go wrong with either one.

many people dislike the large grip of the PTR/HK, and I can tell you that they are kind of a pain to clean. although the 4 that I have owned functioned fine when they were filthy, so cleaning is not really mandatory.

I like the push button and flapper mag release of the PTR better than just the flapper mag release of the FAL, but I have giant hands and reaching the button isnt a problem.

the FAL seems a little more robust due to the milled receiver, and the last shot hold open is nice.

I would immediately get the SAW grip for the FAL as the grip angle is a little extreme for my comfort.

mags are going to be a little cheaper for the PTR, and if you ever decide to get into machine gun land, the PTR will take a sear with an auto carrier.

if you have anybody that has either one that would let you shoot them, that may be your deciding factor.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I  just bought a ptr91-kf carbine ,gun is very accurate just wont eat surplus ammo. i use brown bear , silver bear and wolf works fine, Is a little heavy but that is what slings are made for. mags are very cheap.
Link Posted: 4/17/2010 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Ive got the PTR 91F, its probably my favorite gun that I own. Mine shoots anything I feed it without problem and the magazines are .97 a piece. The gun itself is very clean and is more like a new production gun, not one from a parts kit. Once you get used to cleaning them and putting the bolt back together its not a big deal. I dont know much about FALs, other than that I want one .

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 3:10:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Between the two, I like the FAL considerably better.  The PTR is not balanced as well (front heavy) and I do not like the sights as well.  The FAL is much easier to scope if you like optics.  A DSA FAL will likely have a better trigger from the factory (slightly) but Bill Springfield offers trigger jobs for both riles.  The controls are in much better locations on the FAL, and it has an auto bho, unlike the PTR.  In my opinion, the PTR's only advantages over the FAL is the cheap mags and easily reconfigured buttstocks.  (Although if you shoot it much, you'll leave the collapsible stock in your range bag.)

With that said, my favorite 7.62x51 rifle is the M1A.  The only thing it gives up to the FAL is a little extra weight and lack of pistol grip.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2010 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Get both.

Classic MBRs. About $1000 each (PTR is $1000 @ CDNN)

Decent FALS can be had for 750-850 if you look for any amount of time, spend some time @ FALFiles.com.

Lumbergh
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 11:27:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Cetne owner here, BUY THE FAL!
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#10]
FAL.
Link Posted: 4/18/2010 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I experienced the exact same dilemma.  I guess it's all in what you want.  I held the PTR 91 at my local and did not realize how heavy it feels compared to the FAL, though, I don't believe there is much of a difference in weight, the PTR is front-heavy.  FAL has an excellent balance to it.  I guess the other deal would be when the dude showing me the PTR couldn't even rack the charging handle, he couldn't do it...he said, "It's just me...I'm a small guy."  I said, "oh...that's a hell of a selling point there Mr. Wizard!" I was able to do it, but either there was something wrong with it, or something was stuck in the guts, because that SOB was not easy! HAHA!  Have you considered an M1A or AR-10 also?  I was trying to choose between those 4; I own two 5.56 AR's, and wanted to give the piston a whirl. I figured I'll end up with all of them in the future... If you go with the DSA FAL, contact my boy Douglas King at USmadeFAL.com (ERG Services), he'll hook you up.  Tell him TJ sent you.  ... Good luck, let us know what you decide!
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 2:57:20 AM EDT
[#12]
my hk91 is my favorite rifle, bought it new in 1988. I had 2 sar48 over the years and sold them both off.
I love the feel of the fal guns, you know you have a real battle rifle in your miitts but the hk always outshot them.
Plus the hk's allow you to really customize quickly to what you want to do with it. the hk scope claw mounts are great. I can go from my pvs-4 to scope in seconds and both stay zerod. spare trigger packs, folding stocks, slim forend or large, light bipod or heavy. All 10 second changes.

FAL's are very nice as well just not for me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 7:47:50 AM EDT
[#13]
If you're thinking about future sear host, PTR.
Otherwise, get the FAL.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 8:19:11 AM EDT
[#14]
the FAL is a better rifle.
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 8:51:45 AM EDT
[#15]
FAL
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I would lean toward the FAL...  

That being said, have you seen this bad mam jamma?

7.62 NATO Win!
Link Posted: 4/19/2010 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Both are excellent rifles. To say one is better than the other is fanboy bluster. Pick the one that fits you better.

Link Posted: 4/19/2010 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#18]
wow thanks for all the great replys everyone, looks like im going for a FAL when i come home on leave again
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top