Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/25/2002 5:38:45 PM EDT
I've recently read some posts on rec.guns regarding pre ban lower receivers being classified as post ban if they are sold stripped. Stripped being stripped I suppose (without anything?). The comments seem to suggest that the ATF regards these as post ban once this happens. Is this true? And if so, since when?

Can anyone enlighten me.

Thanks,

Double Sun
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 5:44:06 PM EDT
it may be true but i doubt a conviction could ever be had.

the cost of proving this type of case would not be worth it.

Link Posted: 3/25/2002 6:23:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 12:36:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 1:29:31 PM EDT
Troy,

Following that same logic (if you call it that) would a "preban" lower, transferred with a collapsing buttstock, and a pistol grip installed on it, retain it's status?

You mentioned "complete gun" but my understanding of the new ATF interpretation, is that if transferred with these two parts installed, it would still have to be considered an assault weapon, and therefore retain it's grandfathered status, correct?
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 2:13:25 PM EDT
That's what I'm wondering too. If it were sold completely built does it retain its pre ban status? Completely built meaning firing control group, grip and stock (fixed or telescoping). You know, complete!

When was this new intepretation made by the way? Anyone know?
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:02:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DoubleSun:
That's what I'm wondering too. If it were sold completely built does it retain its pre ban status? Completely built meaning firing control group, grip and stock (fixed or telescoping). You know, complete!

When was this new intepretation made by the way? Anyone know?

With a fixed stock, I would think it would not retain it's preban status, since thats only one evil feature (pistol grip)

See link posted above for background on the issue.
Top Top