Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2006 5:26:25 PM EDT
i've noticed that my point of impact changes HUGELY when switching between different types of .22 ammo.  to the point where i'm perfectly zeroed with one type, but with a different type of ammo i'm not even hitting paper - at 25 yards!  what's the deal here?  should i just buy more expensive ammo?  also note that the first type of ammo was copper plated, and the second type was just lead, and that they had roughly the same velocity.

ETA the ammo was CCI blazer and federal champion target.  i also tried wolf, which seemed to hit closer to the federal POI, although i can't be sure because that was before i bought a scope and my irons were zeroed incorrectly. maybe the CCI blazer just shoots different in my gun than most other ammo?
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Last year I tested 5 different kinds of ammo in 20 different rifles and I didn't ever experience a POI shift like you're talking about. At 25 yards most of the groups would have been well within a half inch of each other.

First thing I'd check if I were you is your muzzle. See if you've got any lead buildup there. Hit it with a brass brush. Even a small bit of lead at the crown can throw rounds way off.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:55:18 PM EDT
[#2]
did you try going back to the first ammo? that would have answered your question right there.

i have noticed the poi difference with different ammo and no stick with just federal champions since it shoots the most accurate out of my peashooter and fairly cheap
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top