Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 3/17/2013 1:50:22 PM EDT
How does one go about manufacturing a pistol grip 20 ga pump?

I thought about starting with an 870. I assume that it is a $5 tax?

was wanting a little "hall monitor" piece for the house.

standard magazine tube with barrel cut down to match mag length.

Is this a cheaper (tax wise) route than a short barrel shotgun with stock?
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 3:05:40 PM EDT
ok now i am confused...

I can install a shorter barrel on a factory fresh 20 gauge shotgun that came only with a pistol grip.. i can also swap the stock pistol grip for one of those horse leg/knee whatever the are called pistol grips to increase the length to allow for a shorter barrel and still be above 26in.

I could do that today without a stamp and 6 mo wait right?

Link Posted: 3/17/2013 3:09:53 PM EDT
holee fuck now i am super confusd.......

can i take a regular 20 gauge 870 with a 26 in barrel, install a pistol grip, then shorten the barrel so that the overall length is still greater than 26" and it will neither be considere an aow or a sbs just a typical shotgun wit ha pistol grip?

OR does it need to start with a pistol grip???

I don't want to get weavered....
Link Posted: 3/17/2013 3:39:46 PM EDT
If it started with a stock, it can only change to sbs. Must leave factory with pistol grip to go AOW.
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 5:03:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By cmc201:
If it started with a stock, it can only change to sbs. Must leave factory with pistol grip to go AOW.

I guess main focus is now shift. how to make a 26.5" pistol grip 20 gauge that does not require any nfa wait or tax.

Can i start with a regular shotgun with a stock. add a grip and shorten the barrel and have a combine length of 26.5?

or do i need to start wit ha pistol grip shotgun first?
Link Posted: 3/18/2013 3:09:04 PM EDT
Def of shotgun is firearm greater than 26" and barrel greater than 18"

If you reconfigure a title 1 shotgun so that neither of those lengths are shorter than it is a legal title 1 shotgun. Shorter barrels, pistol grips, doesn't matter as long as the legal lengths are retained

Now to some other issues that are at hand. If you "make" an AOW it still costs $200 with a form1. The $5 fee is for transfers only (ie. form4). So in my opinion you'd be better off "making" and SBS unless you live in a state that does not allow them. An SBS does not have to have a stock but it can so a pistol gripped short barrel could be either an SBS or an AOW depending on how it was constructed and how it was registered.

In order to make an AOW, you must start with a stripped reciever (very rare to get ahold of) or a factory pistol grip shotgun that has never had a stock. Once an AOW it can never have a stock put on even when returned to a title 1 state unless it is removed from the registry or made into a SBS.

In order to make a SBS, you can start with any stripped reciever or shotgun. An SBS can have a stock, or not, it isn't required.

Basically if you aren't transfering an AOW, it likely isn't worth it unless you just have to have it, or SBS isn't allowed and AOW is!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 3:25:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/19/2013 4:32:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By gunguy45:

outstanding! now to find it in 20 gauge!
Top Top