Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2002 12:00:30 AM EDT
What's a good brand/type of paint for AR plastic
such as stocks and handguards. How well does it hold up?
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 2:19:20 AM EDT
[#1]
az, i've used Krylon in the past. i was just "messing around" with the idea to paint an old set of AR furniture OD green, i sanded and sprayed it, it looked good.
the job lasted (with normal use) about six months, but who cares right? sand and paint again.
just my 2 cents
colt
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 2:55:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Aluma Hyde II from Brownells. Epoxy based and comes in several colors. Holds up well.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 7:35:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 7:43:56 AM EDT
[#4]
If your in Az why dont you just come on over to Cav Arms and pickup a set of colored plastic handguards?
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Ditto on the Aluma Hyde II. Just be sure that the surface is immaculate and that you let it cure for at least a week. Personally, I sand lighty, degrease with lacquer thinner then alcohol. Let the Alumahyde stand in warm water for a few minutes so it sprays well, then spray multiple *THIN* coats. Hand up and ignore for 1 week.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Aluma Hyde II directions recommend heating the paint and surface to approx. 90 degrees F. Set the stocks and can in the hot sun for a while before applying. Dry hanging in the shade. Perhaps in the garage to minimize the fumes.
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 1:17:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Bed Liner...   A spray pickup bed liner in a can has been used and found quite effective...  
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had great results with Dupli-Color Flexible Bumper Coating - Black. It is available at Wal-Mart in the auto section for around $3 a can, slightly more at auto supply stores. One can will do about two complete stock sets. It is a close match for original, maybe just a tad shinier. The shine can be knocked off with some 0000 steel wook after it dries. As far as durability, mine has been on for several months and still looks fresh (normal range use, no jungle combat).

Larry
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 5:52:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Plasti-Dip (used for tool handles)  is available in spray cans,  makes a very tough, slip resistant coating for rifle stocks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 6:12:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Alumahyde II holds up well.  I have some on an A1 stock and on FAL furniture.  Make sure you let it cure for 2 weeks minimum.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I knew I'd seem it somewhere...   Liquid bed liner with pics...www.proshooter.org/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=14&t=000003&p=
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 1:24:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I knew I'd seem it somewhere...   Liquid bed liner with pics...www.proshooter.org/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=14&t=000003&p=

Hey. That's really neat!!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Alumahyde II from Brownells. Great stuff.

Sergeant82d
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 4:59:28 PM EDT
[#15]
FNG-
Actually, I'm starting with a CAV lower. This is going to be a custom home project and I'm using the CAV ARMS lower as the base. I wanted a white one but no go. Maybe if enough people want one in white, Shawn will do a limited production. I did speak with him and they did a white lower in the past. They found that it got dirty VERY easily. So for now, I'll work with what's available and see how it works out. Because I will be using muliple colors with various patterns, some of the products suggested won't work. I am hoping to have it completed by next weekend. We'll see. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

Link Posted: 7/20/2002 5:14:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Are ya hand painting or spraying???   Artists Acrylics would work well...   They're durable as iron and come in any color imaginable
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#17]
bigyeti
I'll be spraying the paint. This one will be a little gamble that hopefully works out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top