Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2002 5:46:21 AM EDT
ive been looking for a summer carry piece.  mostly at 357 snubbies but this 40 cal peaks my interest.

how is the recoil?
reliability?
can it fit in a pocket and be concealed?

anyone?
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 3:47:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had one for a couple of years.  I did a fairly diligent search for the smallest, most powerful hand gun I could find.

I found the very small ($1000 Kimber for example) .45's to be too much bullet in too small a package.  This made control and second shots marginal at best and for me, unacceptable.

But the MK40 is very small, as you know, and it weighs enough to make it controllable.  You will not do quick double taps with it unless you have a gorilla grip, but sequential shots are very manageable and controllable.

There is no +p ammo for a .40 but a round like a Pro Load, set to full SAMMI specs, is very powerful and has noticably more snap than your average off the shelf .40 round.

The only issue with concealment is you can not (I can not) carry the thing in your pants pocket easily because it weighs about two pounds.  Inside waistband or inside a leather jacket is a piece of cake.

I picked up the wood grips from Kahr and it looks nice.  The other thing I did was to purchase the Pearce extensions for the magazines.  This little extension made the pistol very controllable for me.  Without it and with a little sweat on my hand it is very hard to control.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2002 5:51:46 PM EDT
[#2]
 I own the Kahr MK9 . I love it . My favorite carry gun. The recoil is not bad considering gun weight . I can put mine in loose jean pockets . It works great in a light jacket also . I believe it is the same frame size as the MK40 . I know they use the same mags .
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 5:05:51 PM EDT
[#3]
about how much do these MK 40's run?  are there any early production runs i should be wary of if i buy a used one?  (ie some early K9's had  tight chambers and i hear early p40's had some issues...)

thanks
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey ColtDriver there is +p ammo available in 40 S&W , its from CorBon the 165gr really kicks but is managable in my SW99
Link Posted: 4/6/2002 7:30:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I am not a reloading expert but a respected poster on another forum told me that by definition, there is not such thing as +P in .40 S&W ammo.

It is, by the definition of the cartridge, loaded to the highest allowable sammi pressures, etc.

He said Corbon's +P was just marketing for this particular round.

Anyway, you have shot it and you know it has a heck of a snap to it!  The Kahr's weight really works well with this particular round because anything much lighter and that small would probably jump out of your hand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top