Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2007 8:56:01 AM EDT
I just got 3 yugo AK bolt hold open mags.....covereed in cosmo and some light rust.....what is the best way to clean these things, I have heard leaving them to soak in gas(dont know how safe that is, and if ok for how long?)  

rusting issue I have heard use a very fine sandpaper(what kind?) or will a green scrubbly(used to wash dishes work ok?)

any help or advice greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:57:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I used WD40 on a bunch of surplus FAL and steel HK mags. They came out nice after I cleaned them up
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#2]
first thing is to just get as much bulk cosmo off as you can w/ a paper towl. then put them in the oven at about 200 and let as much as possable melt off. green scrubbies should do for the rust. if not then use the finest steel wool that the hardware store has.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 12:14:43 PM EDT
[#3]
ok I got alot of it off still a little cosmo left in outside and inside.........can I let them soak in something over night?  I have heard to soak in a bucket of gasoline.....what so you
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I used mineral spirits for cleaning my mags. It did a good job.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 8:08:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Bucket of gas probably costs as much as the mags!

Minerals spirits or the like works.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top