BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2007 5:17:45 PM EDT
SOG says they just got some in:

www.southernohiogun.com/new.htm
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:58:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Heh, I bet these are CMP rifles.  A "small lot".

I would also bet that if any are being brought back in from some other government's arsenal, they would be going to CMP.  Most of the ones still overseas were loaned, not sold, and CMP would have first claim.

The Garand 30-06 Military rifle was adopted in 1936. The M1 remained the standard issue rifle of the United States until it was replaced by the M14 in 1957. S.O.G. has aquired a small lot of these historic rifles in good condition, and is offering them for sale to FFL holders, while they last. There have been rumors of these type rifles being importable for some time now, but it just never happened. We were fortunate to have the Government approve this one, small lot. There may never be another, as it seems the import regulations change just as the administration in Washington changes. These are from Springfield Armory originally, and ended up in an overseas arsenal where they’ve been for decades. These have to be excellent investment rifles!

Notice also that they are for sale only to FFLs.  You can't order one and have them send it to an FFL.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:11:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Lend Lease (borrowed) Garands and Carbines returned to the U.S. Govt. go to CMP.

Garands and Carbines on the international market that were purchased rather then borrowed are now being imported into the U.S. first time in some 15 years.  

There was talk of M1911s too.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:58:55 PM EDT
[#4]
So where's the "it'll never happen" crowd that was so vocal a couple summers ago when the no return of US origin military arms policy got reversed, which happened at the same time of the barrell ban?

It didn't happen overnight, but here's the results.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:30:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Lend Lease (borrowed) Garands and Carbines returned to the U.S. Govt. go to CMP.

Garands and Carbines on the international market that were purchased rather then borrowed are now being imported into the U.S. first time in some 15 years.  

There was talk of M1911s too.

shut your mouth when you talk to me!!

that would be cool.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So where's the "it'll never happen" crowd that was so vocal a couple summers ago when the no return of US origin military arms policy got reversed, which happened at the same time of the barrell ban?

Here is a link to the letter:

www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/071205openletter.pdf
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:02:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

What results ? its only a claim in an ad..Maybe they only have a few and they will be sold to to dealers..
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:19:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Here is a link to the letter:

www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/071205openletter.pdf

Uh, yeah, no kidding. That's a letter alright

When it came out, there was widespread discussion that the letter pretty much precluded mass reimportation for sale.
And now, two years later, there's US origin martial arms available that aren't CMP items.
Just wonderin' where all the original naysayers are now? Curious is all.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:58:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I saw the ad yesterday, it's a beautiful thing. I have two Garands and money is tight. Otherwise, I'd get one or two or three
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 4:58:57 AM EDT
[#10]
All the more reason to have a C&R.
They may not compete with the CMP in quality or price. But then again they may.

Its very nice to see any coming back regardess of condition or price.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:58:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I got an email a couple weeks ago from Century Arms about the 1911s.  I don't remember prices, but they weren't good enough for me to order one.

These imports are rumored to be from Guatemala.  Very few weapons come from South America in nice condition, too much humidity.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:12:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Century Arms would be the importer, SOG is a distributor.  There are supposed to me more on the way.  I figure prices will drop as more come in.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:35:20 AM EDT
[#13]
What price range are we talking about on the centry 1911s? I don't have one and really really really want one!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:02:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I saw the ad yesterday, it's a beautiful thing. I have two Garands and money is tight. Otherwise, I'd get one or two or three

First you would have to track down to which FFL they sold them to because you can't buy directly from them.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:32:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Basically these are Korean Garands... The CMP looked into getting these last year but passed as the Korean Govt wanted an exorbanant 'fee' for these and the CMP passed on them.... I'll see if they have my C&R on file and get my password to see what they are asking for these Garands....
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:09:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:16:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
First you would have to track down to which FFL they sold them to because you can't buy directly from them.

Not even with a C&R license?

My bad.  Of course, with a C&R.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#18]
The batch SOG has now are $695 each.  Yeah, too high.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 7:23:56 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The batch SOG has now are $695 each.  Yeah, too high.

They will sell out quickly.. people will buy then at that price, especially if they don;t know about the CMP or don;t want to jump through the CMP's imaginary 'hoops'(can we say lazy) to get one.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:49:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
especially if they don;t know about the CMP or don;t want to jump through the CMP's imaginary 'hoops'(can we say lazy) to get one.

At one time, I thought that is was a total pain in the ass to do what CMP wanted.  Once I did it, I realized that it wasn't bad at all and started making the trips to Anniston.

I have spent a few dollars there in the last 1.5 years.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#21]
The CMP South Store.............crackhouse for the firearms enthusiast.

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Southern Ohio Guns wants $695, +$25 for handpick.

I faxed them yesterday my C&R and got a reply to my email today with the login/passwd.

They some other neat stuff too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 3:43:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I wonder how these rifles would grade by CMP standards?  Rack, Field, Service, or better?

A CMP Service grade is $595 + $22.95 shipping and won't be import marked.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
especially if they don;t know about the CMP or don;t want to jump through the CMP's imaginary 'hoops'(can we say lazy) to get one.

At one time, I thought that is was a total pain in the ass to do what CMP wanted.  Once I did it, I realized that it wasn't bad at all and started making the trips to Anniston.

I have spent a few dollars there in the last 1.5 years.

For the longest time I put off going to the CMP, discouraged by the hassle of "jumping through the hoops."

After seeing the ridiculous prices for Garands at countless gun shows I finally gave in and decided to go "jump through the hoops."

So I showed up at the South Store one sunny day, signed in and was buzzed into the vault. I reported to the window to start my hoop jumping session.

I showed the nice lady my military I.D. card and birth certificate. She made xerox copies of them. "Now," she said, handing me back my documents. "go pick yourself out a nice rifle."

"What about the hoops I'm supposed to jump through?"

"You just jumped through them."

"That's it?"

"That's it."

"Wow," I exclaimed with a wide grin as I headed for the racks.

Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#25]
These Garands from SOG are in my opinion are terriable, however this is only based on the 2 that I have seen personally. SOG is out of the handpicked or so they say. The barrels are black even after cleaning, the wood on one of the two is not only pitted severly it thick with hopefully linseed oil. The wood is so thick with crap you can not see the grain. The metal looks decent very little finish left. The other is of lighter wood and you can at least see the grain, it is also pitted and the metal finish is not the best and the bore is black on this one as well. These are definitly project guns. I am not that versed in Garands but I know people that are and they  said that at a minimum you have to change barrels, get new wood and parkarize them.  Like I said this based on the two that I have seen and I don't know crap about Garands. Hope this helps
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top