Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2012 4:54:55 AM EDT
I ordered my self a Dillon 550 with some extras set up in .45 ACP, (4"1911)  and the lyman 49th manual. I've read bit about reloading before i purchased and got my self into it.
what components should i get? primers, bullets, powder, and brass (will also start saving my old brass now).
do you just pick a random load in a book that you want to try out see how you like it? or is there a recommended list of components that you could recommend that i could pick up.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:03:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't go nuts just yet.  Start small, just get 100 bullets primers cases.  If you are only loading .45 right now, yeah, just look at the loads and pick a powder that you like.  If you  are planning on more calibers, then you can pick a powder that will work in both calibers.

I like hodgdon Titegroup for conservative loads.  The powder goes a long way!  If you want a bit more velocity and Flash, go for PowerPistol.

Don't forget to take your time, load up one cartridge at a time, work up your loads, starting 10 percent down, and work up in .3-.5 increments.  I'd only do up about 50 rounds, broke down into groups of 5.  Go to the range, see how the feed, recoil, accuracy (Although, in a pistol, just about anything is accurate.  YOu're more looking for feeding and pressure)
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:06:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:41:59 AM EDT
[#3]
You are doing great
Dillon- great
Lyman book one of the best (my favorite)
45-one of the simplest calibers to load

I like winchester large pistol primers. Most outfits offer two different primers for large pistol , one regular,one for magnum
Both would fit in 45acp but you would use one based upon load and powder type. for whatever reason in large pisstol size
winchester only offers one primer,suitable for regular or magnum loads. it works and is one less thing to stockpile

The old standby bullet that I have loaded most over the years for 45acp is a cast lead 200 swc (semi wad cutter)
Many guys like the plated bullets.

I use Bullseye powder for Bullseye loads (imagin that!) and for mid range plinking loads I find Hodgens Clays to be simple,clean
and consistent.

Some guns and some calibers respond to absolute full power loads that rival or beat what is available from the factories but 45acp in 1911
for various reasoins is not one to fool with the hot rod stuff . With care you can certainally approach the factory loads if you need the power for some reason
but generally there is no point and many downsides to that path.

Brass is easy. With the exception of a few oddball cases with small primers anything you find that is brass is good to go without worry about brand .
Some calibers you will spend hours sorting brass for brand,conditition and various other qualities but 45acp lasts about  forever

Along with your info in the Lyman book you might also refer to the websights provided by many powder companys for info on loads
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:48:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:01:59 AM EDT
[#5]
do you just pick a random load in a book that you want to try out see how you like it?

No not really, but kinda.  You first read the front half of your new Lyman manual.  It will tell you all the procedures on how to handload safely.  One of those procedures is, after you select a particular powder/bullet combo is to "Start Low and Work Up".  Most load data has a "Start" load and a "Max" load.  Start at start or a hair above, make a few rounds 5 or so, increase the charge a few tenths of a grain, make a few more etc. and keep working up looking for signs of accuracy and pressure. Never exceed Max loads.  Some load data only lists one charge (Alliant).  Anytime you run into published data that lists only one charge that is considered a "Max" charge and you should never start there.  Reduce this by 10% for a "Start" charge and work it up.

There is a ton of powders and bullets that work very well in a 1911 45.  That said there are a couple of favorites, 231, Bullseye and WST are among the top three as far as powders go.  If you are going to shoot lead bullets then the 200gr LSWC is hard to beat.  If you are not ready for lead then the 230gr FMJ or JHP is another great choice.

I have five 1911's and they all love 200gr Missouri Bullet LSWC powered by 4.9gr WST.  For target and range loads with Jacketed bullets it's 230gr Zero Brand FMJ or JHP powered by 4.5gr WST.  If you want to go full power for self defense loads or whatever 230gr XTP and 8.0gr of Ramshot Silhouette is a real barn burner, accurate too.

Remember, never load any rounds based on forum data without verifying it through one or more publishes sources.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:12:37 AM EDT
[#6]
well I haven't got the lyman book yet but I did read the ABC's of reloading 9'th edition. and some other older reloading book from the 60's from the library. I'll try loading one at a time like a single stage press just to get a hang of everything first too. lots of good info in this post so far thanks! I planned pistol to learn on as some one that reloads a lot locally suggested that. but i plan on adding more calibers once i get more funds for sure .223 and 9mm. i already have an ultrasonic cleaner what would be good a good solution could i just use some purple power and lemon shine?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 7:25:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top