Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2002 11:06:21 AM EDT
Hey! I'm a newbie on the site, and a newbie with an AR-10. I've been casually shooting for years, and recenently decided to get more serious. I just purchased a match grade AR-10 built by Armalite, and it pretty much rocks! The grouping is impressive, and it's tons o' fun to shoot. I don't know jack about what I'm doing, and look forward to pickin' your brain and sharing what little I know.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome aboard, Bradd.  You'll find more firearms knowledge here than you know what to do with.  Congratulations on your purchase - of course, you'll need an AR-15 if you don't already have (at least) one...
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 11:45:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  Yeah, I'd like to collect and learn about as many AR (and other) style rifles as I can afford.  I've been a big AR-15 fan for a while.  The rounds would certainly be cheaper, and I'm sure that a 16 in. barrel tactical AR-15 config would be much easier to lug around :)

I got the AR10 becuase: 1)it's a bigger round that's said to be less affected by wind (especially for competition shooting), 2) it's less popular than the ar15, and I always root for the less popular underdog, he, he, and 3) since I have no tactical training, and I don't know how to shoot accurately under pressure, if I ever did have to use it in a self defense situation, even if I just managed to shoot the bad guy in a "non-vital" area, it could still potentially "stop" him.  I've had friends that were in Desert Storm complain about not being able to stop the bad guys with the .223 round (of course, they were probably bad shots, heh), and maybe the .308 would have more relative "stopping power", but that could all be bunk.

Can anybody counter my reasoning and possibly argue that the AR15 would have been a better choice (for match shooting)?  I'd like to hear what you have to say.  As I said in my earlier post, I know very little about this, and I'm just gettin' started.  If there's already a discussion going on about this in another topic or forum, just point me to that, and I'll join in.

Of course, as I learn more, get better training, etc., I'm sure my perspective will change, and eventually, I'm sure I'll see that in order to be "well rounded" and prepared, you need to have a few different style rifles.  I'm looking forward to finding out.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 11:47:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 11:52:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Can anybody counter my reasoning and possibly argue that the AR15 would have been a better choice (for match shooting)?  I'd like to hear what you have to say.  As I said in my earlier post, I know very little about this, and I'm just gettin' started.  If there's already a discussion going on about this in another topic or forum, just point me to that, and I'll join in.

If you post competition questions in the "Competition and the Accurate AR" forum, you'll find people very helpful.  But if you want to shoot service rifle matches, you'll have to use a M1A or M14 if you want to shoot .308.   An AR15 in .223 will comply with the service rifle regulations, but a .308 AR-10 won't.  You could shoot it as a match rifle, though.  Just not in the service rifle category.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 12:16:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Badd_Bradd is a good shot.
I hope I'm never in his cross hairs.

Oops!

Hi   . Welcome to the gunsaholic board.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 12:22:38 PM EDT
[#6]
ilikelegs,
You're too kind!  I can't really take the credit though, my gun is a better shooter than I am!  :)
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 12:47:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome!  Fair warning on what you are getting into.  It is addictive. Started off a while back and thought I was lucky to have an AR.  Now I feel inadequate that I only have one.  So I have started building my second.  Lots of good info here, again welcome.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:35:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Welcome Aboard
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top