Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/14/2003 11:02:25 PM EDT
What should I look for in the below example...the price seems okay, but this is my first Garand and don't know what to look for.

http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FG&Product_Code=096&Category_Code=R+CMR
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:07:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Why buy a reproduction M1 Rifle with a dubious cast receiver when you can get a real one from CMP for less money?

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:14:52 AM EDT
[#2]
cmp requirements are MUCH more than I want to complete...
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:18:08 AM EDT
[#3]
then good luck.......
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't argue with that "logic".
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:14:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
cmp requirements are MUCH more than I want to complete...

Way to difficult........
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:12:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What should I look for in the below example...the price seems okay, but this is my first Garand and don't know what to look for.

http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FG&Product_Code=096&Category_Code=R+CMR

O.K., I'm through shaking my head in amazement. Now I can give you an answer. The rifle you're looking at is a Century receiver. I highly doubt that the parts are new old stock. Century receivers are cast and of dubious quality. For a little more money, you can get a genuine U.S.G.I. M-1 from Orion 7. For the same amount of money or even little less, you can get one from the CMP. Consider this before you buy, buy this rifle and it will always be a replica. Spend a little more money or put in a little extra effort and you will own a genuine U.S. military artifact. A weapon built for and used for the preservation of our Republic. How many more chances are we going to get to buy genuine U.S. military issue rifles?

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:39:07 AM EDT
[#7]
You know, I'm sort of sorry I asked the original question. It seems everyone that has answered so far has had a bit of an attitude about it, especially since I said the CMP requirements were too much. I don't want to join a club in order to purchase a Garand. It's not that I'm opposed to others that want to participate, I just don't want to. If that prevents me from purchasing a CMP garand, and the one I'm looking at is no good, then I'll save a little more money and get a good one, or a new Garand from Springfield Armory.
I just want one to shoot and tinker with. The fact that it is a Garand is good enough, it did'nt have to see action in Normandy or Iwo Jima.
Lighten up!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:25:31 AM EDT
[#8]
You're right. One of the purposes of this site is to educate the uninformed. Some of us (me included) can tend to get carried away. Most of us see the CMP as an opportunity not a hassle. I just can't see spending more for a replica when you can have the real thing. Regarding S.A. Inc's M-1's all but a few of the first releases are built with cast receivers. Keeping in mind that their M1A's are built with cast receivers as well, they are probably of good enough quality. To me, an M1A is a compromise. I would rather have a genuine U.S.G.I. M-14. But we are not entitled to them so we must compromise and buy replicas. Since we can have a genuine U.S.G.I. M-1, it only makes sense to buy one while you can. In case you don't know, you can join the Garand Collectors Association for a nominal fee. That meets the club membership requirement for the CMP. You don't have to be a member of a shooting club to participate in a "match" to meet the shooting qualification. Many clubs hold shoots simply  to help people meet CMP requirements. They use these rather informal "matches" in hopes of recruiting new members and getting people involved in the shooting sports. I recommend that you give it a try. You will meet some great people and you just might have some fun while you're at it. Otherwise, it's your money, spend it how you see fit. S.A. Inc.'s M-1's should fit the bill for you but they are awful pricey for a replica. Before you buy an S.A. Inc. contact Tony Pucci at Orion 7 and see what he has for sale. @ www.m1garand.com
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:40:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks...this is some info I can use.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:25:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Sukebe is right, to join the Garand collectors assn, will cost you all of $25.00, my club holds garand matches,(open to the public) cost to enter, $15.00,and from what I can find out that's about the going rate, So, for $40.00 you've met the major reqirements to buy from the CMP, you can also buy up to 8 rifles a year from the CMP, And from what I've seen over at the Garand board, (www.jouster.com)the CMP has been shipping some really nice H&R M1's with little to no wear on them! If you insist on buying elsewhere, I would strongly suggest Orion 7 or Fulton Armory over Springfield inc's M1, Reason being that Orion and Fulton build these rifles, using good USGI parts, forged USGI receivers,and not some cast crap,and the people who build them KNOW what they're doing, they're not some gun-monkey slapping parts together, I mean, if you are going to pay almost twice what a service grade from the CMP costs, at least get a good one,The people at orion7 or Fulton will stand behind their products, Seriously, I do think you should think about what you're doing, you're about to spend a$1000.00 on a rifle you could get from the CMP for $520.00 (shipping included) I don't understand what's so hard about meeting the CMP requirements...I did it, and if I can do it, ANYBODY can.... One thing I almost forgot,if you decide to change your mind, give the CMP a call, they will bend over backwards help you find a club that holds matches so you can meet the requirements, I'm like alot of others here, I really hate to see a newbie pay too much, I guess that's why we're all harping CMP, Really, joining the GCA is'nt hard,they have meetings,but you don't have to go, and besides meeting one of the CMP requirements, you'll also get a magazine full of  excellent Garand collecting/tinkering info every 3 months, you only have to shoot a match once every 5 years, and you can buy up to 8 rifles a year from the CMP, I know you said you did'nt want to join a club etc, but, is it worth the extra $500.00 you'll pay for your rifle to avoid it?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:36:11 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't mind the $25.00 fee, but I really don't like the "proof of marksmanship" part.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:53:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I don't mind the $25.00 fee, but I really don't like the "proof of marksmanship" part.

The CMP has a club list. Try doing a search of clubs in your area. Call them and ask about matches that they hold that will fulfill the marksmanship requirement. There is no minimum score needed. You basically go to the line when your up and put holes in paper. All you need is a rifle(some clubs will loan weapons), ammo, hearing and eye protection. You're heading in the right direction when you learn before you buy. Educate yourself regarding all of your options, then make up your mind.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:12:52 AM EDT
[#13]
When you shoot the match, you'll get a cerificate in the mail and a list with the names of all who shot the match and their scores, that's your "proof of marskmanship" you send in copy of both the cert,and the list, with your order,they (CMP) dont care what score you get, there is no minimum score, the idea here, is to get you interested in shooting rifle matches, is a lot of fun and the people there will help you,it's pretty informal, so, maybe think it over,it dosen't take alot of time from your day, and it is a hoot,and you can see what kind of rifles guys have gotten from the CMP, ask them questions,and probably pick up a few pointers...  
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:23:14 AM EDT
[#14]
The part that sucks is where do you get a Garand to shoot the match that your shooting only to get a Garand? The club *may* have some rentals, but what if they don't?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#15]
You can shoot a "Garand match"with a M1 carbine, 1903 springfield, 1917 enfield (30-06) and most clubs have "loaners" NOT rentals! you are LOANED the rifle, you don't pay for the use of the rifle,(at least at my club) that and alot of people will bring more than one rifle so someone who dosen't have one can shoot the match.. if you want to shoot the match they'll find a rifle to loan you..trust me on this...you might have to wait, and shoot in the second, third, match but, you will get to shoot the match....might not be with a Garand, but you'll get to shoot the match and make the requirement for the CMP....

I should point out, that what I ment by saying that you may have to wait and shoot the second,third match, I ment 2nd, or 3rd match of that day!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Our local club has "Garand Matches" throughout the year and has free loaner M-1 Rifles for people that don't own one. The CMP Recognized Club membership is also accomplished by joining a State Rifle/Pistol Association. The first (then) DCM M-1 Rifle I bought was on a Pennsylvania State Assoc membership because it was only $10 (less than NJ). When you're young, saved money is important. Wait a minute, it still is. Since you are interested in the M-1, the Garand Match route gives you an introduction to the beast, you don't have to clean it, and the military training on it stopped in about 1963 when I had it in Basic Training.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Jetlag,
Most, if not all the CMP Garand matches/clinics have rifles there that you can use.  After you shoot the match, you are qualified and can actually purchase the rifle you used in the match (if you want to) right then and there.

Also, as mentioned earlier you DO NOT have to shoot the match with a Garand.  As far as prof of, "marksmanship" goes.  My "proof" was shooting a postal milsurp match with my Enfield.  Nothing fancy at all.  It's not as tough as it sounds.

Rich
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I own a Century receiver Garand, and it has given me ZERO problems over the years. I have shot both factory and surplus through it. Parts are USGI (mostly SA), and the barrel and wood are from a Danish Garand. I was owned by someone previous to me, so I do not know how they are/were shipped from Century.  

As for the CMP route, I found that the high-power shooters were some of the most rude people I had ever met. I don't have a spotting scope, or a shooting mat, or jacket, or free-floated barrel on my AR, or match ammo, or leather sling.

I was LAUGHED AT when I wanted to try it. I had a stock AR-15A2, the web sling it came with, and a couple of 20 round mags so I could shoot prone easily.

Frankly, after being asked by the RO if I was sure I REALLY wanted to shoot, and comments by other shooters asking why was I even going to bother since I was going to loose, I walked out.

Is $450 a good price for a CMP Garand? Sure it is. Is it worth the aggravation? In my case, NO!

Av.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Avalon;
I hate to say it, but the club you went to must be the asshole club..I had the exact oppsite happen to me, I'd never shot a match in my life, the guys were very helpful,told me what was going on, helped me figure out how to use the score card,loaned me a rifle,coached me a little,I did'nt have a mat, or a spotting scope, The guys there loaned me both, and I had a great time, Since this was a Garand match, it was very informal, no one was concerned about "Winning" As they were about having a good time,I would say YOUR experience was a bad exception,rather than the rule.... The club I belong to has a high power league, in it are two classes, rifles with scopes and rifles without, you can bring whatever you have, The club I belong is not so snooty as to make fun of people who want to try shooting a match, new shooters are always welcome,I guess I'm fourtunate to have a club like this, I'm not a high power shooter, yet, but I'm thinking of giving it a try, I' don't have anything to lose,everything to gain...
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:51:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Avalon01

Exactly what I don't want to subject myself to...I've seen those guys at the range here in south Florida...Markham Park Range...they all have Jackets and boxes and even have a special entrance on the far right of the range. I tried going there just to check it out but the RO held me back and said it was for "members only". That put me off then and there.
I enjoy plinking and trying different loads..(I have a pre-ban oly arms commando ar15, an ak47 sar 1, and a .45 auto pistol), and I've always been enamoured by the garand since I was a kid,( I'm 52 now ), but I sure am not going to kiss somebodys backside to get it, not at this stage in life.
However, I want to thank EVERYONE for the input, it opened my eyes to alot.

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

As for the CMP route, I found that the high-power shooters were some of the most rude people I had ever met. I don't have a spotting scope, or a shooting mat, or jacket, or free-floated barrel on my AR, or match ammo, or leather sling.

Like any other group you sure can run into some poop-heads!  One club here only shoots out to 100ydsn about the 3-4 time I shot there it seemed to be stuck up jerk day.  They sure got pissed when I shot my strings really freakin fast.  BAM BAM ::ping:: ::click  thaw::  BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM ::ping::

Did I win?  Hell no!  Do I ever?  Hell no!  Did I have fun?  Yeah baby!

Oh yeah they "laughed" at the rolled up throw rug I use for a shooting mat and my work glove I use for shooting slung up.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:45:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Avalon,

From all I have read and experienced, your experience is far from the norm. My first match was before I joined the Austin Rifle Club, and even though these guys had never met me before, they were all very encouraging and friendly. Our club will usually try and pair up a newby with a more experienced shooter to show them the ropes and lend them any equipment they might need.

In my case, I was paired with the ARC property manager. He let me share his scope and shooting mat. His shooting mat, like about half of the guys out there, is jus a scrap of old shag carpet. He gave me lots of helpful advice along the way, as have a bunch of other guys. They also encouraged me to start going to the matches that they hold up in Temple twice a month.

Originally, I went to the match to meet the CMP requirement, but have continued to go shoot at matches because of all the friends I've made and the great advice I get from them. Its kind of like coming on this forum, CSP or Battlerifles.com with the added benefit of actually being able to shoot.

The level of competition is pretty low key, and mostly only a friendly competition amongst the few top shooters. The rest of us are only shooting against ourselves and for the pure joy of shooting. My goal is to only shoot better than I did the last time.

On a side note, I still haven't purchased a Garand from the CMP, because our club has been raffling off its DCM/CMP Garands to buy ARs for the junior's program (I know, its a sin, but I was in on the decision), and I got lucky and one an near original IHC. The club armorer had installed a new barrel that was unshot, and it has an SA trigger group, but all other parts are IHC and seem original to the rifle.

The M1A in the pic is my loaded model that I shoot in most matches, and the M1 is my "Raffle Rifle."

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I tried to join a local club. Called the guy, we played 20 questions.

Him: Why do you want to join?
Me: I want to get into high-power shooting. And I used to shoot when I was a kid.

Him: Have you ever shoot a rifle, a M1 Garand, a AR15, or other highpowered rifle?
Me: Yes, I used to own a NM M1 Garand.

Him: Well we are taking members at this time but we don't allow them to buy through CMP anymore.
Me: So if I pay the dues and follow the rules I can't buy the guns?

I joined a club back East. Mailed a copy of my DD214, Birth certificate, Cashiers Check, Copy of Club card, less then 2 weeks later had my new (made in 1942) M1 Garand.

ED
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:34:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, that's good enough for me...two people with bad experiences is more than enough for me to stay away from those clubs...just to buy a cmp garand.
I know...there's a million stories in the naked city, and these are but two of them, but if there is an infitesimal chance I'll have to put up with a hassle, I'll just buy a Cmp from Gunbroker.com..there's lots of em!
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:22:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Local (Ohio) area has at least 3 clubs where you can "high power" qualify.  Costs about $15 and they provide the rifle, ammo, and coaching.  Two on my non-veteran buddies just did this in the last month.  Most of Saturday, but no hassle.

Ohio Rifle and Pistol Association will be glad to take your $21 or so for a "club" membership.

Once you get your CMP M1 Rifle, delivered to your door with no FFL hassles, you can buy parts and ammunition thur CMP.

It's no hassle at all.  

The very old system was a monster hassle.  Army regulations required finger prints (!) and you could buy one (1) rifle in your lifetime (and none after your death).  This system is nothing.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Don't Fear the Century Garand!

I own 3 M1's. One is a CMP and the other two are CAI's. The "real" Garand is a good investment. The Century's are for shooting and group better than the "real" Garand.

I have often been shocked by the "snobby" behavior of the old guard high power guys. The behavior you folks have mentioned is probably more of a threat to shooting sports than any laws could ever possibly be. They actively discourage new shooters and put up all kinds of barriers to keep other shooters who are interested from even trying to start high power.

One of our local ranges has a "stock military" shoot. Any weapon used by any armed services is eligible. Nagants, Mausers, Krags, Garands, AR's, whatever. It's a good time for all. Friendly folks and low pressure. Someone just starting out can bring a $80 Nagant and compete. That's the way, IMHO, to keep people shooting.

ZIPDRIVE - Look that Century over really well. Take a vet with you and check it out. If it looks good and runs good, get it. Grab a sh^tload of M2 and practice up. Then punish the equipment snobs at the local range. Don't get sucked in to the expensive equipment trap. One of the most deadly accurate guys I know shoots a 1903 Springfield that looks like he drug it behind his car to the range. A lot of wins? No. Consistent? Completely. Plus he has a great time. Have
Jethro
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:09:17 PM EDT
[#27]
There's nothing like the real thing (Garand).They rise in value also.There's one note I beleive has been left out.Wasn't there recourse for clubs that did not follow the rules for highpower shooting???? If a club had any bias against any new or current match shooter they would loose their status or any funding for jr.shooters.

I don't have the rule book in front of me but I recall something on this.I still shoot high master class.Many of us older shooters give help and direction if asked for it.

I've coached many new shooters  and would do it again in a heartbeat.So many clubs have their own agenda and forget the spirit of the matches.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#28]
My club is always tryign to get people in matches, I just haven't had the chance as of yet.

They will loan oyu the rifle, and GIVE YOU THE AMMO for your first match!!!

Still gotta go and shoot my first one, I didn't have to shoot a match for a CMP rifle cuz of USMC service.

They try to get everyone an their brother to shoot in matches.

The only thing I don't like about those guys is their spotting scopes, only becasue I had to wait for everyone else to get ready before calling a cease fire.  I usually go in the afternoon, cuz those guys go in the morning.  They are nice guys and everything, they just take it a bit more seriously.  

I personally think the shooting jackets are cheating too, they get so tight that you can't help but steady a rifle....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top