Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2002 4:28:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 4:48:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Fixed the link for ya Campy, you left out the 'D'.

www.redstararms.com/

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."

Edited cause I can't post & get my daughter ready for school at the same time. DOH!!
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 7:38:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow is that like 'Tits on a Bull'?
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 8:48:24 AM EDT
[#3]
As I seem to recall..the original AR15 and the M16A1 were not very accurate weapons at all, due to a very skinny barrel, slower twist rate, and poor sights.

It wasn't until rather recently that most high power shooters switched from the M14 (or M1A) over to the AR15, due to accuracy enhancements.
Heavier Barrel, Tube allowing for a Free floating barrel, higher twist rate, better sights. etc.

Now..there is now reason why you cannot create an Accurate AK.
Install a better trigger, Change the rear sight to a apeture sight with windage and move it back to the end of the receiver, Install a Heavier barrel with a faster twist rate, lap the bolt lugs and true the bolt face. Modify the front handguard.
Change the caliber to 22 PPC (after all the 22 PPC was nothing more than a 7.62x39 mm case blown out and then necked down to 22 cal).

And you should have one fairly accurate AK.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:Wow is that like 'Tits on a Bull'?

Well, I might go for it if it could be depended on to get rid of that awful trigger slap on my NMH91.  I hate shooting that thing because it's actually painful.

Link Posted: 1/10/2002 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well, I might go for it if it could be depended on to get rid of that awful trigger slap on my NMH91.  I hate shooting that thing because it's actually painful.

There are instructions (with photos) on the web for 'fixing' your trigger to remove the slap. This is One of them (I've seen others with step by step instructions including disassembly).

Link Posted: 1/10/2002 1:38:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
As I seem to recall..the original AR15 and the M16A1 were not very accurate weapons at all, due to a very skinny barrel, slower twist rate, and poor sights.

Well you're not recalling very well.  The original AR15 was indeed an accurate rifle.  No real difference than from today.

Skinny Barrel only makes a difference under prolonged shooting, heating of the barrel changes point of impact.

Slow twist rate was perfectly fine for the 55gr ammo that was used in it.  This made for an accurate rifle to 300M.  True with todays heavier/longer rounds (and necessary faster twist rates) you can shoot FURTHER accurately.  But within the 55gr performance envelope there were no accuracy problems

The A1 sights are perfectly fine for precision shooting, its just not as quick and easy as the A2 sights.  However there were people shot matches with M16A1 rifles (Rattle Battle), just took more effort to change the sights.

Tube allowing for a Free floating barrel,

This is not a new invention, been around for quite some time.  Its just they now have a DCM legal version

There is more to it just than the 'refinements' you mentiond.  As these refinements have been available for quite some time.  Its the High-Power culter that had to change.  You needed people willing to experiment to get the rifle accepted.  Old-Timers don't like to change, especially to a rifle they consider a 'toy'.

Now..there is now reason why you cannot create an Accurate AK.
Install a better trigger, Change the rear sight to a apeture sight with windage and move it back to the end of the receiver, Install a Heavier barrel with a faster twist rate, lap the bolt lugs and true the bolt face. Modify the front handguard.
Change the caliber to 22 PPC (after all the 22 PPC was nothing more than a 7.62x39 mm case blown out and then necked down to 22 cal).

And you should have one fairly accurate AK.

Wow you've just redesigned the entire rifle.  And guess what it will won't be as accurate as an AR.  The Gas system interfers with the barrel, this will interfer with accuracy.  Yes the 'new' rifle will be more accurate, but still won't be competative.

Besides Campy wasn't posting an entire makeover, just a "match" trigger.  Before I'd put a "match" trigger on such a rifle I'd get better sights, or better yet some optics.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 1:49:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
As I seem to recall..the original AR15 and the M16A1 were not very accurate weapons at all, due to a very skinny barrel, slower twist rate, and poor sights...

The M16A1 I had in Boot Camp had no problems keepin'em in the black at 500 meters (550 yards) on Edson Range.  It had also been beaten half to death by God only knows how many recruits.  The upper and lower fit was so loose it would rattle due to the rough use.  And mine was not the only one!
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 2:13:08 PM EDT
[#8]
...and the point is?  Great accuracy?  Yeah, right.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 3:15:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Oops, I'm outta here before the AR-15 VS. AK-47 flaming begins...
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

There are instructions (with photos) on the web for 'fixing' your trigger to remove the slap. This is One of them (I've seen others with step by step instructions including disassembly).

Thanks, I think I'll try that mod this weekend.

Link Posted: 1/12/2002 5:43:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Just wanted to update this a little.

I placed my order for 2 sets of triggers on Monday morning and they were delivered to my door on Thursday afternoon.

I opened the box and was very delightfully surprised at the extremely high quality of the parts. They are heavy solid parts. Much better than the crap in my SAR-1 & SAR-2.
I'm going to be installing one set this weekend and get then get some range time.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Ordered 2 sets on Monday morning and they arrived Thursday afternoon.
Great looking parts that are twice the weight of the crappy parts that are coming out of my SAR-1 & SAR-2 rifles.
I put one set in my SAR-2 rifle this morning and they dropped right in (after wrestling with the stupid retaining wire and the stupid hammer pin). Everything worked without needing any adjustment.
Of course that doesn't mean I didn't adjust it just a little anyhow. After working my trigger a few times I decided it needed a bit less trigger takeup (length of travel) and made the necessary adjustment (about one turn on the appropriate set screw - "C") and the trigger was perfect. Doing this made it necessary to file the safety yoke down so it could engage. It only took a few passes of a diamond file to accomplish this.
I took the rifle to the range and pumped 200 rounds through it and the trigger couldn't have been better. The trigger is now better than every one of my stock AR-15s and almost as good as my AR-15 with a JP Enterprises trigger/hammer set.
I know some guys laugh that people are spending $70 on a $300 rifle but believe me this is a no brainer. You must buy a trigger set to understand how nice these trigger sets are. It won't be money wasted.
All I can say to RSA is "Great Job"
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 3:04:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Has anybody tried installing one of these on a Romak 3/aka FPK/aka PSL?
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#14]
I got to go with Forest on this one, " Like tits on a bull.

The first thing that will have to be done is to mate the disconnector to the trigger sear/hammer, like that on a M1/M14. Without the extra weight pull of the disconnector, your still pulling blind without a reference of when the hammer is going to release.  Then once you have this wonderfull trigger, your still handicapped by the sights.  Once you overcome the sights, then its off to the barrel and chamber. Past that, then your off tighten the carrier,bolt and lugs. Then add the cost of match ammo.

I'm not saying that it can't be done, Just why???  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top