Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/23/2006 6:09:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/23/2006 6:04:17 PM EDT by blackbag223]
some questions:

is the tac star side saddle a bad idea?

it installs by replaceing the 2 trigger group pins right?

is the tac star 7 shot (+2) shot extension a bad idea?

how hard is it to dremel out the detents in my 870 mag tube?

will it look bubbaish?

will it look bubbaish if i cut my bbl at 18.5 and take my time and finish it right?

is about $20 a good price for the side saddle?

is about $40 a good price for the shot extension?

sorry about all the questions. i just thought i would get them all out of the way

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:16:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/23/2006 7:17:30 AM EDT by underdog75]

Originally Posted By blackbag223:
some questions:

is the tac star side saddle a bad idea? No, I prefer the 4 shot model

it installs by replaceing the 2 trigger group pins right?Not sure, Ive only used the Mossberg parts

is the tac star 7 shot (+2) shot extension a bad idea?No, but id look at the Wilson part

how hard is it to dremel out the detents in my 870 mag tube?Look at the the tacked thread at the top of the page

will it look bubbaish?IMHO no

will it look bubbaish if i cut my bbl at 18.5 and take my time and finish it right?No, but id go with a factory barrel

sorry about all the questions. i just thought i would get them all out of the way

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:24:30 AM EDT
The tacStar side saddle is okay. Make sure you locTite the screws and check them often. I hear that they have a habit of coming out and getting lost. There are alternatives (more expensive)

http://www.mesatactical.com/index.php?cPath=30&osCsid=b8cb2b50a82f11824cc592ef12628ce5

I use the +3 TacStar mag extension, and I have nothing bad say about ot. It seems reasonably well made, and has proven to be reliable thus far. Again there are alternatives.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/sa_mag_extensions.asp
http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_page.cfm?queries_index=index10&ProductCode=27&ProductSubCodeID=177&NewProduct=0

Good luck on your build.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:25:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By underdog75:

Originally Posted By blackbag223:
some questions:

is the tac star side saddle a bad idea? No, I prefer the 4 shot model why 4 instead of 6?

it installs by replaceing the 2 trigger group pins right?Not sure, Ive only used the Mossberg parts how did it work?

is the tac star 7 shot (+2) shot extension a bad idea?No, but id look at the Wilson part im sure its better, but im not in delta force, nor am i chuck norris

how hard is it to dremel out the detents in my 870 mag tube?Look at the the tacked thread at the top of the page

will it look bubbaish?IMHO no come to think of it, i will also be covered up.

will it look bubbaish if i cut my bbl at 18.5 and take my time and finish it right?No, but id go with a factory barrel price is of the ecessence in this build

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:56:07 AM EDT
A Choate Machine and Tool extension tube is the same price and of much better quality, from what I understand.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:34:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dxdgenert:
A Choate Machine and Tool extension tube is the same price and of much better quality, from what I understand.

thanks. ill check into that.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:10:05 PM EDT
i went ahead a did it. i cut my bbl at 18.5 inches from the bolt face (is that correct?) it only shows 18.0 inches out of the reciever, just in case i get checked.

i also cut down and restained the forearem so that it does not over lap the reciever.

i also hammered out the dimple in my mag tube using a socket (that way didnt work so well) i ended up finishin with the dremel (that way worked awesome)

i also cut about 3-4 inches off the stock, redrilled the holes, and then reattached the butt plate. it looks a tiny bit ghetto, but works really well.

all i need now is a side saddle, and a 2+ shot extension.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:00:06 PM EDT
if you have shortty questions you NEED to see the folks at
www.ironridgeguns.com
they can give you a hand give em a call,
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:06:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2006 8:07:29 PM EDT by StealthyBlagga]
The only disadvantage with the SideSaddle is that it does not reliably retain shells that are in the correct inverted orientation - I have one on my 870 and I insert the shells from the top, which is slower to reload from but gives better shell retention. If you prefer the shells to insert from below (for faster reloads), an alternative worth considering is the 3-Gun Gear (www.3gungear.com) version which uses elastic loops to hold the shells. I have the 3GG unit on my 3-gun match shotgun.

Here's a pic of my 870HD with 6-shell SideSaddle (shells in the "fall out" position):

Top Top