Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2002 5:44:08 PM EDT
When looking for a preban lower how do you tell
if it's preban can you tell by it's serial number? What I'm looking at is a pre ban Bushmaster lower the man said that he had paper
work showing it was complete before the ban. If I was to ask for the serial number and post it
can anyone tell if it is up to par?????  
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Iloveglocks

The cut off for preban bushmasters is L063000.  The best way to keep it legal is first to obtain a letter signed by the original owner in effect stating that the lower was assembled into a complete rifle before September 14 1994, with parts obtained from what company and assembled by him with any supporting documentation such as receipts for both the lower and parts kit.

To CYA even further obtain a letter from Bushmater that states that the lower was made before the ban.

Remember that the burden of proof lies with the agency charging you with possessing an illegal assault rifle.  The more paper work you have to prove that it is in fact legal is better for you.( To date I have not known anyone that has ever been questioned about the status of their rifle.)

If I am wrong in any way, I am sure there are members here that are more knowledgeable than I.

Max
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:21:55 PM EDT
[#2]
You can also call Bushmaster, tell them the serial number of the lower in question and usually have an answer in less than 5 minutes. That's exactly what I've done, and to back it up, requested a letter from them stating the status.

I don't know if they still will do it over the phone, but it's worth a try. You'll find their number posted @: www.bushmaster.com

Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:36:19 PM EDT
[#3]
old.ar15.com/legal/serialNumberList.asp

Bushmaster 800-998-SWAT
Below L051000 - Assembled Pre-Ban Rifles and some pre-94 lowers.**
L051001-L063000 - Mixed Pre-Ban Assembled Rifles and Pre-Sept 94 Lowers (Call to verify)
L063001 and Up - Post-Ban

Link Posted: 1/7/2002 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Last time I called Bushmaster about this, they said they were only taking emails and written letters for verification status.

However, that was six months ago. Who knows, on any given day you might be able to call them and find someone who will run them for you. It's sure worth giving them a call.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for your help guys.........
Todd
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 11:53:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Burden of proof has been discussed several times here before. The unfortunate consensus I've read seems to be they prove your rifle has pre-ban characteristics and you prove it's legal to have them on your rifle.

Get the papers. If worse comes to worse you can hope they only confiscate your rifle.
Link Posted: 1/8/2002 2:03:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Just did a trade with a guy here for my Bush lower. Only took 2 days for them to verify (E-mail) it's pre-ban status AND the fact it left the factory as a rifle...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top