Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2003 12:17:42 PM EDT
I have a M1A NM and I have shot about 2000 rounds thru it.  with a scope it shoots 3/4 MOA.  I have removed it from the stock once (it's bedded).  how many times can I remove it and put it back before accuracy goes down hill and I need to have it rebedded?  can I do this myself of do I need to send it off to Springfield or Fulton.  where can i find a procedure for rebedding an M1A.  I really like it and enjoy shooting it but I am worried about taking it apart to clean it.  

thanks.  

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:49:40 PM EDT
[#2]
There's no NUMBER of rounds fired to re-bed the stock.Just when it needs it.If accuracy falls off then that is a indication it needs to be bedded again.
1/2" groups at 100 yards is prefered but you could get better results (depending on the rifle or shooter).
You don't have to remove the receiver from the stock to clean it.ONLY TO REPLACE A BROKEN PARTS.
Bedding a M14 M1A is very difficult unless you know how.If you don't then you should have someone who knows how,do it for you.
I have bedded almost 4500 rifles and can tell you that unless you're experieced,it will drive you NUTZ.
I strongly suggest calling Ron Smith at Smith Arms.You'll be glad you did.He's a great guy to deal with.I don't have a FFL anymore or I would vollunteer my services (that may change as I'm considering getting a license again).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top