Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2006 9:45:39 PM EDT
i have a shotgun class on the 22nd, and i dont have any sites on my shotgun. it was a 28 in vent rib that i cut down to 18.5 and i have no sights.

could i mount a BB?

could i drill a hole and insert a piece or thin rod?

could i weld a small piece of pipe on the rear? like a scout mounted peep sight?

rifle sights are not an option, since all my extra cash is going to the class. price is of the essence, but i dont want someting ghetto.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 10:00:18 PM EDT
[#1]
try this...
http://www.truglosights.com/content/prod_long_gun_sights/magnum_gobble_dot.asp

I put a set on my 1100 CM until I could get the extra cash for a barrel with rifle sights... I liked them so much and they work so well I still have them mounted. They may look kinda cheesy and cheap but they work very well and have held up for more rounds than I care to count. simple install also... just clip them in place on the rib... they also have an adhesive pad to help keep them locked down.

If you removed the rib truglo offers some other styles that should work... never used them though.

John

Edit

They cost me all of 12 bucks at bass pro shop.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:20:37 AM EDT
[#2]
you can buy bolt on ( to the vent rib ) at academy for 20.00 ! truglo or hi-vis not sure

Simple instal they also have others that just fit onto the rib. and I think they are 16-17 dollars

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Egads!  The 22nd?  You're cutting it close!

I have tried a BB before.  I had drilled a slight dimple before the barrel was cut.  I thought that dimple would be fine for a BB and some super epoxy.  I was wrong.  The BB will stay put for a few rounds, then disappear.

If the rib is still on the gun, it should be easy.  Get a small screw, say a 4-40 thread, a 4-40 tap, and the appropriate drill bit.  These should all be available at your local home supply store (Lowes, Home Depot, etc).  Try to find a short screw, at least one that will bottom out against the barrel and not stand very far above the rib.  Drill a hole and tap it.  Clean the area thoroughly and remove all oil and debris.  Put a drop of epoxy in the hole, put the screw in, and your done.

If you look very closely at these pictures, this gun has a stainless 4-40 thread screw instead of a bead

What can I say?  Necessity is a mother.  I was going to put a proper bead on it later; I have several beads for it, but don't have the appropriate tap yet.  I've gotten used to the screw sight, and really don't see any need to change it.  It works, and that's what matters.

The 4-40 thread is common and small.  Later you can drill the hole slightly larger, re-tap, and install a proper bead.  All of the stuff for a proper bead are available at Midway or Brownells.

I'm not a huge fan of TruGlo.  I've tried a couple of their snap-on sights for non ribbed barrels.  Both of them cracked and flew off the gun after some shooting.  There are a lot of add-on sights for ribs that can be ordered from everywhere, but since time is not on your side you can look at those later.  Unless, of course, you are fortunate enough to have a good store withing driving distance like Cabelas, OutdoorSports, and some of the others.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#4]
WAIT! Did you still have the end you cut off? If so just unscrew the bead, drill a hole in your vent rib (over a support, so the hole has a bottum), just a little bigger than the screw part of the bead, then use a tooth pick to mix up a dab of JB Weld Quick and use the tooth pick to put some in the hole, then carefully insert the bead and wipe away the exess that getts scwished out, let it set up over night for good measure.
If you've lost the bead go to any gun shop, or even Wal-Mart and look for either a reguler bead, or a screw in fiber optic bead/rod deal () and do the same thing. I had to use the fiber optic on my 870, because I couldn't get the factory bead out, but I've done the factory bead on two Winchesters now with great success. I live in the middle of butt fuck egypt and couldn't find a tap and drill, so as usaull, I WECSOGed the hell out of it. It looks damn perfect!
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
WAIT! Did you still have the end you cut off? If so just unscrew the bead, drill a hole in your vent rib (over a support, so the hole has a bottum), just a little bigger than the screw part of the bead, then use a tooth pick to mix up a dab of JB Weld Quick and use the tooth pick to put some in the hole, then carefully insert the bead and wipe away the exess that getts scwished out, let it set up over night for good measure.
If you've lost the bead go to any gun shop, or even Wal-Mart and look for either a reguler bead, or a screw in fiber optic bead/rod deal () and do the same thing. I had to use the fiber optic on my 870, because I couldn't get the factory bead out, but I've done the factory bead on two Winchesters now with great success. I live in the middle of butt fuck egypt and couldn't find a tap and drill, so as usaull, I WECSOGed the hell out of it. It looks damn perfect!

thats a GREAT idea. i may do that.

are the "tru glo" sights durable? i need them to be VERY durable. nothing would suck more than having to shott have my class with no front sight.

thanks for all your help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top