Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2003 7:27:42 PM EDT
is it illegal for me to have my bayonet on my sks? my sks isnt like other sks's, it has nice wood, a nice bayonet that has like silver paint on it. it really looks good with the bayonet on it. i gues it was used as a show rifle.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:52:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I would say that it would depend a lot on your local and state laws as to whether or not its legal. But I kept my bayonet on my SKS for a very long time and took it to the range in front of a Sherriff before and no one said anything.

You SKS sounds a lot like mine, where did you get it?
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 8:22:28 AM EDT
[#2]
it was a gift. i had to get all b's on my report card and i did and my dad's freind gave it to me. i dont know where he got it though
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 8:27:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Is it Russian, Chinese, Romanian or Yugo?

Does it have a blade bayonette or spike?

What are the markings on the receiver? (chinese characters, star, star with arrow)
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 8:42:00 AM EDT
[#4]
i guess its russian
it has a star with a arrow in it. and it has a blade bayonet
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#5]
A star with an arrow I believe is the Izhvesk arsenal.

Is the whole rifle chromed or is just the bayonet sprayed silver? If I'm not mistaken most Russian SKSs had black bayonets, if its sprayed silver it may be a romanian bayonet, or something a previous owner did.

I've got a Norinco Type-63 SKS (takes AK-LIKE (not AK mags) mags and is configured a little differently) with a hard chrome bayonet, but its a pig-sticker not a blade.

Generaly no one bothers about the SKS/Bayonet thing unless you live in Cali or whatnot. Its just too confusing to tell.

I think all Russkies though are OK with the.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#6]
it looks like it was dipped in silver paint
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 4:25:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Your bayonet is hard-chromed as was common with alot of Russian SKS's.  It's perfectly legal for you to leave it on.
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#8]
www.simonov.net can probably answer any and all of your sks questions
Link Posted: 8/2/2003 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I think the Chinese ones are the only ones you can't legally put the bayonet on, and even then some Chinese rifles of earlier manufacture may be OK.

But this is a federal thing, not a state law that varies from place to place. With the possible exception of California, of course, where things may be worse.

Your local sheriff has better things to do than waste his valuable time splitting hairs on this type of issue. Unfortunately the same might not be true of the FBI and especially the BATF or whatever they call it now. In this post-9/11 world, these suckers still seem to have plenty of free time available to kick around gun owners over trivial offenses, in between staking out whorehouses and roughing up terminally ill medical pot smokers. Our tax dollars at work.
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#11]
thanks for the help. ill just leave it off
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 4:35:52 AM EDT
[#12]
You can go to www.sksboards.com and just about any questions you have about your sks can be answered there.
Tell them coolatula sent you!
A Star w/arrow will be a Tula made rifle.
What is the year stamped below the star on the dust cover?
I have a 1951 Tula rearsenal with a Choate Dragunov stock that I am very fond of.
It is a great rifle and worth about $100.00 more than what I paid for it.
The Russian SKSs are very well made rifles and are very tough battle rifles.
They are on average more accurate than an AK,but
don't expect MOA accuracy out of it or you may be dissapointed.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:23:21 AM EDT
[#13]
it says 1954 with a little r to the right of the r.

i have been wanting to get another stock that is longer because the wodden one is just too short. are the druganov stocks any longer?
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 10:15:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't bother with the aftermarket stock on that Russian beauty.  Just add a 1" buttpad spacer.  They are available at http://www.tapco.com
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 12:38:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a Ugoslovian SKS.  It came with a bayonet.  If the gun CAME with a bayonet, then it is perfectly leagle to have a bayonet on it.  otherwise it is not leagal.

no without a pic I cannot help you.  but on the barrel where it says in tiny print 7.62x39, it also says "ugo"  meaning ugoslovian.  I have not seen a Ugo without a bayonet, so if its a Ugo, you are probably fine.

I am also not sure if that is a federal or state thing.  now, I am in MD which is a heck of a lot worse that VA.  I would say your fine with the bayonet
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 3:38:29 PM EDT
[#18]
yall have been a big help, thanks!
i think im gonna get a bipod that goes where the bayonet used to go
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 4:22:36 PM EDT
[#19]
This is what I did to my Norinco SKS for shits n giggles...

The 1" extension on the buttstock was the first thing I did. I thought it was really short too and that extension was a cheaper alternative to putting a crappy plastic stock on it.

I removed the spike bayonet after installing and pinning that break. The break rendered the use of the bayonet obsolete.

I put on the bipod after that. The quality isn't all that great, but it serves its purpose, especially for being mounted on a rifle that only cost me $150 to begin with.

The scope mount itself turned out to be a better quality than I had hoped. It's pretty sturdy and so far I haven't had any problems with it going off zero. The scope is a cheap Leapers, I didn't feel like wasting money on a high quality scope at the time but plan to put a better one on there in the future. Oh, and the shell deflector is a must if you scope your SKS, keeps those pesky shells from bouncing off of the scope itself.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 9:15:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 6:20:06 AM EDT
[#21]
It's not a suppressor, even though looking at the picture I can see that it sorta looks like it there. It's just a birdcage break pretty much the same as the one I have on my AR but just a bit longer. This is it here
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 10:33:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Damnit don't tell me that, I had a hell of a time getting that pin to line up properly to mount it... *sigh* It'll be coming off then.

Damn shame I can't prove the import date on my SKS, all I know is that it was manufactured in 1980 according to the serial number.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 11:53:16 PM EDT
[#24]
As the other posts have stated you can add a spacer to your wooden stock or go with an aftermarket plastic stock.
If you go plastic I HIGHLY recomend the Choate made dragunov stock.
This is a very good stock for the SKS.
Most members of sksboards agree with this.
It's the best modification you can do to the SKS IMHO.
If you order one make sure it comes with the butt spacers and cheek piece as I think some are
sold without at a lower price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top