Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/15/2004 7:30:06 AM EST
I bought a mossberg 500 about 4 months ago. So far I put a synthetic pistol grip and forend on it,as well as an 18.5" barrel. I keep hearing not so good things about mossbergs.My question is, should I sell it or keep it?I am happy with it but if I do part with it I'll get and 870.I want your honest opinion.

I don't want a pissing match, just some good advice.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 8:15:29 AM EST
I've had several of both over the years. If all you intend to do is just occasional shooting/range trips then the Mossy should hold up just fine. However, if you anticipate a regular diet of full-power loads and HEAVY-HEAVY use -- border-line abuse -- then you might want to re-consider.

Just my dos centavos...
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 8:59:22 AM EST
I posted the following in a similar thread:

As usual, I have to wade in as one of the few partisans of Mossbergs. The 870 Express looks just as junky as a standard M500 or M590. When you step up to the 870P, it isn't any better than the Mossberg M590A1.

As for reliability, It hasn't been my experience that the 870 is any more reliable than Mossberg 500/590's. The looseness of the Mossberg's action (by design) seems to makes it a little more tolerant of dirt, mud, etc. In the rather "extreme condition" match we had last weekend, I saw two 870's get crudded up to the point where the shooters had to use both hands to work the pump. One guy had similar problems with his Mossberg when he fed his gun muddy ammo, but he was still able to get the gun to work by just pumping it a little bit harder.

99.9% of shooters will never subject their guns to the kind of conditions that we do, so they'll never see this stuff happening. For these shooters, there is ZERO functional reliability difference between the two guns.

When new shooters ask me which gun to get, I tell them that I like Mossbergs because they are incredibly reliable, and you can buy a gun straight from the factory, much cheaper, which has all of the stuff that you need (ghost ring sights, etc.). I also tell them that Remington 870's are just fine too, and that they should pick up both, see which one they like the most (looks, feel, "coolness", whatever), and buy it. Either one will give a lifetime of service.

As for Benelli's..... Well, lets just say that there was one shooter whose fancy Benelli became a $1000 single-shot, and then later a "no-shooter", when it stopped working completely, under extreme conditions. For that money, you can buy a M590A1 for yourself, a M500 youth gun for your wife, several cases of buckshot, and beer for your entire gun club to sit around and drink after the match, while you make fun of the guy with the Benelli that jammed.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 9:14:11 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/15/2004 9:17:04 AM EST by MT_Pockets]
You are going to start another 500 vs 870 war.......hehe

I say pick the one that has the controls in a position you are comfortable with....

Remington, Ithaca, Mossberg and Winchester all have benefits and draw-backs depending on the users familiarity of weapons. I have seen parts fail on all the above. But most of us will never use a shotgun to that extent.

Also are you going to have a companion rifle. I always like to plan ahead. You might pair up a Remington 870 with a Remington 7600 or a FN Herstal Tactical Police Shotgun (Winchester 1300 based hybrid) with an M4(type).

I like the 870P if I am going to build one up and the Wilson Border Patrol if I want someone to build it for me.

MT

Link Posted: 8/15/2004 10:41:06 AM EST
I have always owned 870s, and have always been happy with them. My buddy bought a Mossy not long ago. We took it to the range, and I was not impressed. It seemed flimsy and cheaply made, compared to my 870, which is rock solid. That is only my experience, however, so YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 2:32:04 PM EST
I have always owned 870s, and have always been happy with them. My buddy bought a Mossy not long ago. We took it to the range, and I was not impressed. It seemed flimsy and cheaply made, compared to my 870, which is rock solid. That is only my experience, however, so YMMV.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pretty much covers things for me...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 6:38:58 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/15/2004 6:39:47 PM EST by Snake45]
Having owned and enjoyed both, I was about to post a lengthy dissertation about the strengths and weaknesses of each and then I noticed your ID name--"Glocksrock." If you are a Glock fan then you should be very happy with the Mossy 500, especially with the plastic furniture you've put on it.

A person who really appreciates all-steel construction and American walnut, the way REAL guns are built (alloy receivers of ARs and Colt Commanders notwithstanding) will be better served by a classic 870.

The truth is that both guns are fine. But the 870 is "finer."

Link Posted: 8/19/2004 12:06:11 AM EST
I am very happy with my 500. A buddy of mine has a 870. We went shooting together a few weeks ago. We swapped and shot for a while. Both are nice. Why part with your 500 if you're happy with it? If you like it, stay with it. Don't switch just because someone else likes it better. Only switch if you feel the other is in fact better suited for you.
flashlegs
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:07:57 AM EST

Originally Posted By 2Manchu:
I've had several of both over the years. If all you intend to do is just occasional shooting/range trips then the Mossy should hold up just fine. However, if you anticipate a regular diet of full-power loads and HEAVY-HEAVY use -- border-line abuse -- then you might want to re-consider.

Just my dos centavos...

i have only owned mossbergs, and one winchester

my whole life of thousands of rounds fired i have never had one failure of any kind, and anyone i know will tell you my guns are definately used and abused horribly, especially the shotguns
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 7:55:05 AM EST

Originally Posted By Snake45:
Having owned and enjoyed both, I was about to post a lengthy dissertation about the strengths and weaknesses of each and then I noticed your ID name--"Glocksrock." If you are a Glock fan then you should be very happy with the Mossy 500, especially with the plastic furniture you've put on it.

A person who really appreciates all-steel construction and American walnut, the way REAL guns are built (alloy receivers of ARs and Colt Commanders notwithstanding) will be better served by a classic 870.

img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/Snake45/870XM1.jpg

Is that why you keep the sling and saddle on the 500?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 1:45:49 PM EST

Originally Posted By Andreuha:

The simple truth is that I only just got the 870 and haven't gotten a sling and saddle put on it yet. I almost hate to drill into that 50-year old walnut to mount a sling stud! :)

Nice La-9 pic, BTW. Where'd you find it?
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 1:49:01 PM EST
I've had one of each, though both in basic non go-fast configurations.

They both ate birdshot equally well.

The 870 seemed to be a bit smoother action, though that was probably just because the 870 I had was made in the 70s or something where the 500 was brand new.

The 870 also seemed to have a better quality of build to it; again probably because it was older. Don't know about the quality level of the new ones.

Probably doesn't help you much, but there's my $0.03
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:16:22 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/19/2004 2:17:24 PM EST by Andreuha]

Originally Posted By Andreuha:

The simple truth is that I only just got the 870 and haven't gotten a sling and saddle put on it yet. I almost hate to drill into that 50-year old walnut to mount a sling stud! :)

Nice La-9 pic, BTW. Where'd you find it?

I'd suggest something like Hogue over-molded furniture if you plan on messing around with it and really like the wood. Very nice, comfy [esp. the grip as it's soft rubber overmold], and around $40 from midway USA.

As for the pic, thanks.
I don't remember where I found it anyways.
Here's the web-size version
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:55:12 PM EST
I like then new style Mossy 500 it has porting.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:15:23 PM EST
I love my 590.

Not quite a 500, but good nonetheless.

If i had a choice between a 500 and an 870, i'd prolyl take the 870.

But a choice between the 870 and a 590, i'll take the 590.

They are all good shotguns.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:28:53 PM EST
870 tastes great, but the 500 is less filling.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:08:46 PM EST
Yes, they're both good guns. I've had the Mossy for about 25 years or so, and just got the 870, but you'll notice I didn't give up the 500!
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:41:37 PM EST
I don't know what the fuss is about...

It's all basically the same with the only difference being safety. Yeah, you can install tube extensions on the other makes, but mossberg comes with what is normally a +2, and any more means long-assed barrels (I guess if you REALLY hate ducks...). So unless you're going for an SBS or a super-practical shotty, it doesn't really matter. Though I must say I really prefer the safety on the mossbergs (only better safety, IMO, is the 1911/UZI style grip-safety).
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 3:30:47 AM EST

Yo....smart ass I LOVE GLOCKS ,AND ALSO LOVE 870's!!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 11:03:16 AM EST
Just use it...it isn't like you'll ever need to in a life or death situation.

MT (is partial to the 870P but likes the controlled feed of the 1300)
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:13:35 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 1:24:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/20/2004 1:25:41 PM EST by HardShell]
This comes up pretty frequently, as some have mentioned. Personally...

I have 4 500s (2 in hunting configuration, 1 "tactical," and 1 Bullpup) and a 590A1.

I have 6 870s in various configurations, all "tactical."

I sometimes hunt deer with the 500 Viking Slug-gun and I sometimes hunt birds with the 500 Crown Grade - but loaded in the bedroom for home defense, it's two 870s (his and hers) ALL the time. Not the other 500, not the 590, but the two best of my 870s. YMMV, of course.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 5:50:16 PM EST
im not going to preach sing the praises of the 500...im too tired, but ive shot shotguns all my life, and the 500 is THE ONLY gun that takes a beating and keeps fighting back! now granted my 500 was made in the '80's , and 10,000+++ rounds have gone through it, it is easy to clean, and shucks shell with lightning speen, the trigger is as good and crisp as my 1911 colt, i keep it handy, either that or a Ruger 10/22 or Mini-14. im not a huge fan of the Ar-15/M-16A2's, but i understad and apreachate the design and function...i just dont care for them. I live in a Rual farming community...and i know if i walked down Route 15 with a shotgun, levergun...Ruger10// or Mini-14, a thushad State troopers could pass me and all ied get is friendly waves...i carry a M-16 or AR-15...i will bet money i would get tossed in the slammer!
Top Top