Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/7/2004 12:18:07 PM EST
is this a good deal?
it is from my local gun dealer...
or should i scope out the local gun shows in milwaukee WIsconsin for a better deal?
i am looking for a 8 round cap. heat shield and maybe the speed feader thing, what exactly is that? is it esential to have?
thanks
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:30:10 PM EST
Not sure about Mossy's but it sounds like a good deal. I got my 870 for $260.

The only thing essential IMO is the shotgun itself. Maybe a sling and side saddle or even a light. Never used a speedfeed, I assume you mean the stocks, but have heard of problems with them. Heat shields are for tacticool shotguns.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:35:24 PM EST
well, i tend to trick my guns out the their max.
so i will get the heat shield, and a surefire with a 120 lume bulb for the light, and a tact sling along with a nice sash like thing that carrys shot shels[8P
i think i cant get much of a better price than 280$ and then tax 5.6% in wi
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:36:52 PM EST
Buy it, thats a pretty good deal. Assuming its in good condition.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:51:41 PM EST
its new as far as im aware
im going to go in and look at it tomorrow
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:01:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/7/2004 1:18:20 PM EST by par0thead151]
i just called them and its new.
for the 9 shot without the heat shield and a blued finish it is 290$ before taxes
is it worth 80$ more ot get the other finish that comes with the heat shields?
the dealer claimed it is more durabe, but the guns primary use will be for home defense and stay in a secluded spot unless needed or taken to the range for practice...
heat shield.... yeay or nay? worth 80 bucks?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:21:50 PM EST

Originally Posted By par0thead151:
for the 9 shot without the heat shield and a blued finish it is 290$ before taxes
the dealer claimed it is more durabe, but the guns primary use will be for home defense and stay in a secluded spot unless needed or taken to the range for practice...

I don't have the heat sheild on mine, IMO its mostly for looks, limited usefulness for what your descibing. But make sure it has the ghost rings, they are great. Of course I think all the 590's have them.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:04:56 PM EST
I just picked up a Remington 870 at Gander Mtn for $244, plus I get a $25 rebate on it. Pretty basic 870, syn. stock, parked finish, bead sight on a 18" barrel. So keep looking around and don't forget to check out the chain stores(ex. Gander Mtn Dicks, Walmart).
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 3:49:12 PM EST
What did I say???? I did see one at a gun show I forgot how much it was. Did you read my post or something???? You're scaring me!!!!!!

The one I saw I think was like $400 so I think the $280 would be a good deal. The one I saw had the ghost ring sight though. Does this one?

And anyways, it was in Waukesha.

Maybe you are referring to something else but I'm confused.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:09:57 PM EST
i got the quote from badger outdoors/arms
i am going there this weekend to see if what the quoted me is what i asked for
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:40:59 PM EST
The heat shield can be ordered online from Mossberg for $30. They show 3 different finishes.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:20:34 PM EST

Originally Posted By Slumlord:

I don't have the heat sheild on mine, IMO its mostly for looks, limited usefulness for what your descibing. But make sure it has the ghost rings, they are great. Of course I think all the 590's have them.

I feel the same way about bead sights.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:07:14 AM EST

Originally Posted By shotgun:

Originally Posted By Slumlord:

I feel the same way about bead sights.

I don't follow, you think bead sights are great over ghost rings or you think bead sights are mostly for looks? I'm confused, my head hurts, I think I'm going to go lie down now.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:15:16 AM EST
NOT ALL 590'S HAVE THE GHOST RING. FYI
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:17:06 AM EST
I THINK I MIGHT GO TO BADGER AND PICK THAT ONE UP, THAT IS A GOOD DEAL!!!!. HA HA HA H AH AHA . BUT I'M BETTING IT DOESN'T HAVE THE GHOST RING SIGHTS. HAVE FUN IN MKE. MICHAEL MOORE IS HERE TODAY (FRIDAY) I BET YOU'D WANT TO SEE HIM!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:19:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2004 8:24:53 AM EST by SHIPSNIPE1]
I paid $250.00 for a 590 w/heat shield, blued, bead sight, 9 shot, at my local gun store.
It was pre-owned, definitely never fired before and had been put on the shelf the day before on consignment. What I saved there I wound up blowing on ghost ring sights.
I ordered a set of the MMC sights from Brownells and they set me back about $150. Couldn't resist ordering a KNOXX Cop-stock while I was at it.(another $75)
I still am considering getting it parked, but this would require sending the aluminum receiver one place to get it hard anodized and the rest of the steel parts somewhere else to get them parkerized.
Its probably a lot cheaper if you can find one that is already in the finish you want with all the stuff you want already on it.

BTW: In my experience gun shows are not the best place to buy firearms unless you are buying from a private seller and know exactly what you are getting. Especially now with the ban going away the general public is starting to flock back to the shows and driving up the price of anything 'Tactical' or 'Evil' looking. The sellers are more than happy to capitalize on their ignorance.
Top Top