Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2002 6:12:13 PM EDT
I was shooting my 500 today blastin rounds and it goes threw birdshot no problem real quick shots then when I used the federal classic 000 buck the gun would lock up for a split second but would function. any ideas of why the higer power loads are causing the action harder to work?
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 5:51:59 AM EDT
[#1]
My guess is the birdshot you were using was low brass. The 000 buck has high brass shells. When you switched over to the 000 buck the higher brass is thicker then the plastic and is tighter against the chamber walls. The blow by of expanding gas leaves carbon deposits in the chamber down to the top of the low brass shell. When you went to the 000 buck you were forcing the taller brass part of the shell into the chamber further, where it has the carbon build up.
Kind of like the .38 switch to .357 scenario
When I would shoot about 100 rounds of .38 thru my .357 I couldn't get a .38 in the cylinder until I cleaned it.

Clean the chamber and you should have no problem.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 6:04:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I would strongly suggest that you check the headspace on the Mossberg. I suspect that it may be excessive. Good luck. Charles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top