Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 1:14:34 AM EDT
just bought an m38 and i love this rifle way more than my yugo mauser. my only problem is it shoots about two feet low at 100 yards. it is an arsonal rebuilt rifle with matching numbers so it probably has a new front sight but i dont see any way to adjust it lower. am i supposed to use a file to get it to the right hight or am i just missing something. thanks for any help you can give.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:00:15 AM EDT
[#1]
If it is shooting low, the easier fix is to simply shorten the front site post.  This will give you a couple of hours good shooting fun.  Consider yourself lucky.  Many of the Mosins shoot a bit high.  To correct that, the front post must be lengthened or replaced with a longer one.  The post on the Mosin is a little more than a mild steel wire.  To replace it, the front sight must be removed.  In your case, you can adjust your site to match the POI by merely shortening the post.  Go slow and have fun.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:38:50 AM EDT
[#2]
What ammo are you using? Different ammo/bullet weights can have significantly different POI. Interestingly, a heavier, slower bullet can have a lower POI at shorter ranges due to the difference in muzzle rise timing. Before you make a permanent change to your rifle, you may want to try different ammo, or try adjusting the rear sight higher to see if you can get it on the paper.

Just my 2c

X
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:08:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Dr_X beat me to it.  Wouldn't the easiest fix be to just raise the rear site elevator some?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#4]
yes i can just use the rear sight to get me on target but once i know what ammo i want to use and stock up on it would be nice to have the front sight at the proper hight. i am mostly shooting the light ball stuff but both that and some 203 grain brown bear ammo shot about two feet lowe.  it is a new front sight so i am not surprised it was a little to tall but a little time with a file and it can be fixed. i just wanted to make sure there wasn't some way of adjusting the front sight i wasn't awear of.

by chance does anybody know what weight bullet the M38 rear sight is calibrated for?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top