Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2002 6:03:50 PM EDT
What can I expect out of this gun as far as accuracy and what can I do to improve it for not too much cash?  can you hit anything at 200 yards or is that out of range.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:11:41 PM EDT
[#1]
There really isnt a whole bunch to do for accuracy.they can be improved but not as accurate as an ar.200 yds can be done on bigger targets.they are fun plinker guns though.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Got a Mini14...its ok.  OK accuracy vs. an AR.
I would not expect much MOA accuracy out of it at 100yds, let alone at 200yds, but I'm not an expert shooter like some of the guys/gals here.

Once you get an AR that's all you'll need.  I'd save up & get the AR15 instead.  Am going to sell my Mini14 which has about 100rds through it.  Wasn't sure what to expect out of it but got it on the recommendation of a buddy who is a TX state trooper since that is what they carry.  In retrospect, I should have skipped it & got the AR..which I did & now don't even think about using the Mini14 Ranch Rifle.  If you want something just for plinking, get the Mini.  If you want something to compete with & has much better accuracy...get an AR15.

Link Posted: 1/6/2002 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Couple of notes:

(1) MOA is not distance sensitive (up to a point, of course).  You get the same MOA out of the gun at 200 yards as at 100 yards.

(2) You can spend a bunch of money and get the Mini14 accurized, but when all is said and done you've paid as much as an AR would cost.  Might as well get the AR.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#4]
the Mini 14 is good for 6 to 12 MOA, in my experience.  An inherently innacurate design.

The AR15  1 to 2 MOA.

I learned the expensive way, there is no competition.

The AK clones are a better alternative to the Mini 14 if money is a big factor.

Just my .2cents
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#5]
What does MOA stand for ?  When does the .223 run out of power where it wouldn't be lethal?
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 8:47:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Go AR cheap mags.  Mini 14 high caps of high quality are hard to find.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#7]
MOA: Minute of Angle

Run out of power to not be lethal?  If you are shooting that far away at something you will need one hell of a scope!  Someone more qualified will have to answer that question.

If you run a search on Google for MOA you should come up with lots of answers.

Link Posted: 1/6/2002 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is one explanation for MOA:

riflestocks.tripod.com/moa.html
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 12:05:47 PM EDT
[#9]
1911greg....
I have a Mini and three ARs so am familiar with the designs. As configured they are four very different rifles, optimized for very different tasks.
Questions to be asked are manifold. What do you foresee as your *primary* use of the rifle? What is the political climate where you live? How often will you shoot? What will you shoot at? How diligent are you vis a vis maintenance?
The answers to those questions have a bearing on any decision involving a choice between the Mini and the AR.

Link Posted: 1/7/2002 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#10]
The quick answer to moa is to think of it as 1 minute of angle is 1" per hundred yards.

If a rifle will shoot 1MOA then it will place shots in a 1" group at 100 yds, 2" group at 200yds on up to 10" at 1000yds.  this is a rough estimation, but close enough.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 1:36:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for explaining MOA.  I really would like to get a AR, always liked the look and feel also really like the sights but I never had enough money for one so I am 18 now and have the cash but I cannot get one because I live in CA. and all the semi auto .223 rifles have been banned except for the MINI 14.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 2:03:39 PM EDT
[#12]
This site has lowers that  are supposed to be legal in kali .has fixed 10 shot lowers for AR-15 .
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 3:56:59 PM EDT
[#13]

I really would like to get a AR, always liked the look and feel also really like the sights but I never had enough money for one so I am 18 now and have the cash but I cannot get one because I live in CA. and all the semi auto .223 rifles have been banned except for the MINI 14.

My recommendation would be to forget about the Mini-14 and use the money to buy a 1-way bus ticket to Arizona-- assuming they can get rid of that idiot McCain.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Isn't Mini-14 a variation of M-1 grand/M-14 design?
I think the bad accuracy is the result of loose tolorance and cheap components.

Quoted:
the Mini 14 is good for 6 to 12 MOA, in my experience.  An inherently innacurate design.

The AR15  1 to 2 MOA.

I learned the expensive way, there is no competition.

The AK clones are a better alternative to the Mini 14 if money is a big factor.

Just my .2cents

Link Posted: 1/7/2002 4:48:39 PM EDT
[#15]
You got a point about moving to Arizona it isn't just the gunlaws its the stupid car smog laws and pollution laws, the dumbocrats have taken over. The only reason for staying in southern CA is it is the weather is so fuckin nice never too hot or too cold also I live a block away from the beach so that makes things nice. It was about 75 degrees today and nice and sunny out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top