Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 1/19/2006 5:58:58 PM EDT
does anyone know anything about this company? my buddy asked me to see if i could find something out about his shotgun. it's a meriden firearms co. of meriden, ct. it's a 12 ga. side by side with hammers. 32" barrels and both are full choke. thanks for any info you guys have.

jake
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:23:57 PM EDT
nobody????

jake
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:33:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/21/2006 2:01:03 PM EDT by bigsapper]
Stand by...

ETA:
Sorry, I had a thread on one that has fallen into the 3+ month black hole. Not sure when it will emerge in the archives.

My understanding was that they were all made for Sears, Roebuck & Co. Mine was definitely *not* a shooter. Damascus steel barrels and unknown chamber size, which I found out was a bad problem with 12 guages back in the day.

Maybe some of the assistance I got on my thread will show up here.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 2:26:11 PM EDT
Blue Book doesn't list Meriden either as a stand-alone brand nor as a supplier to Sears or Western Auto.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:08:09 PM EDT
My wife's grandfather gave me one a few years ago. I have been trying to find info on it ever since. Mine is a hammerless side lock with 32" damascus barrels, and some engraving. It has 1907 on the barrel. It is actually in pretty good shape. No one seems to know much about them. One gunsmith told me that they are pretty rare. I had never herd of them until I got the gun.

Jeremy
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:30:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JKrammes:
My wife's grandfather gave me one a few years ago. I have been trying to find info on it ever since. Mine is a hammerless side lock with 32" damascus barrels, and some engraving. It has 1907 on the barrel. It is actually in pretty good shape. No one seems to know much about them. One gunsmith told me that they are pretty rare. I had never herd of them until I got the gun.

Jeremy

Depending on condition, your shotgun might be worth a decent amount of money. I had a 32" damascus barreled Meriden that was in excellent condition and also had 1907 on the rib in between the barrels. Mine was labeled "The New Aubrey". If everything is original, no cracks in the stock, and overall very good condition, then you own a high quality shotgun with some definite collector appeal.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:16:32 AM EDT
It is all original. You can even read the but plate. Mine says "The A. J. Aubrey" on the lock plate. I would rate is fare to good condition. The lock is rock solid, the left barrel is near perfect, but the right barrel has a small pit in it. There is a thin crack running the length of the top of the stock. But it looks like it from being to dry, because there is no other damage to the stock. Not to bad for a nearly 100 year old gun. Do you have any other info on these guns? What kind of price were you talking about? I will never sell this shotgun, I'm just curious.

Jeremy
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:41:06 AM EDT
In fair to good condition it is tough to say what the value would be especially with a crack in the stock. Earlier you mentioned engraving, that would also play a role in determining its value.
In good to excellent condition you could get $800 + and as you have noted there is not much in print on this shotgun so the price is negotiable. $1500+ for a excellent condition Meriden is not out of line.

I do have some copies of original sale ads for Meriden shotguns. It is neat to see the original prices along with all of the options that were available.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:49:33 AM EDT

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:56:36 AM EDT
well thanks guys, i know my buddy will appreciate the info.....

jake
Top Top