Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2011 6:49:08 PM EDT
Got to hold a Martini-Henry the other day and I think I am in love.  Does anyone have one and shoot it?  I found ammo that was 145 bucks for 20 rds but I reload and have over 100 lbs of soft lead.  Lets hear about them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 7:58:07 PM EDT
Century Arms has vintage Kynoch 450/500 ammo for $15 per 10.

The Martini  is a thumper.
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 8:30:02 PM EDT
I reload

I use a sabot 45cal with 30 cal muzzle loaders bullet on top of 20 grains of triple 7 (777)

I can usually get about a 1foot group and there is no bore wear.

Do not use the goex or other corrosive powders they are a pain to get out from under the action block.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 5:58:54 AM EDT
I brought several back from Afghanistan a couple years back when it was easy to do so (they have since changed the regs to make it much harder)
I use a cast 45/70 bullet sized 458 of the softest lead I can use (basically pure) lubed with spg lube in either a case reforemd from cbc 24 ga shotgun shells or jamison ready made brass. Good enough for 6 inch groups at 100 yards.
Jamison brass is thicker and some guns have a tough time chambering it.
cbc brass chambers better but cracks sooner since it is so thin.
some guns will shoot a bullet in the 458 size range ok ,others will have oversize bores and be difficult to get accuracy from. Increase the bullet diam too much and the assembled cartridge will not chamber.
I use 60 grains of black powder then fill the remainder of the case with cream of wheat, nice light shooting accurate load- I'd not even consider any smokeless loads in these guns
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 6:18:32 AM EDT
ps the reloading dies for 450mh are a larger diameter than regular dies and unless your press has a ring that can be removed to accomodate it, a spare large ring opening press is required. Reloading for this round and 577 snider present quite a challenge- It took me a long time to find a load combination that would work in my 577 snider- oversize bore and found a local caster making 577 minie projectiles that works well.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 10:45:37 AM EDT
I watched some videos last night on forming cases on the CBC shotgun brass.......looks like some work to say the least, but the end result would be fun.

What should I look for on the rifle if I go back?  Is there problem areas?  The wood looked sound, no major pitting, good looking rifling and the proof marks looked legit from what I remembered.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 2:59:49 PM EDT
They are a hoot to shoot and everyone on the range will want to try it.  Be aware that full power loads are heavy on the recoil.
My go to load is the Lee 45cal 500gr SP paper patched over 70gr of 2f or the equlivant of 777.  About a 2" gropup at 50yd.

The original elephant rifle from the turn of the century.
MLG
Top Top