Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2015 4:18:14 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/31/2015 8:41:11 PM EST by angus6]
what size of hole are you guys drilling in the freeze plug to start the 9mm cones ?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:47:59 AM EST
I've tried a variety of sizes. Using either the centering tool from SDTA or the ebay die you start with a 1/8" hole. I found those seemed to split faster on me so I started using a 1/4". You're removing more material so you can't get as deep a cone before you're hole opens up to your required depth but for a 9mm hole which should be around .41 (.355+.06) you really have to press them pretty hard to get to that opening from a 1/8" without splitting / going off center.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:32:34 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tophatman:
I've tried a variety of sizes. Using either the centering tool from SDTA or the ebay die you start with a 1/8" hole. I found those seemed to split faster on me so I started using a 1/4". You're removing more material so you can't get as deep a cone before you're hole opens up to your required depth but for a 9mm hole which should be around .41 (.355+.06) you really have to press them pretty hard to get to that opening from a 1/8" without splitting / going off center.
View Quote

I used 1/8 and formed them with a plumb bob. I also used grease between the plumb and FP. only one split out of 10.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:29:52 PM EST
Originally Posted By goloud:

I used 1/8 and formed them with a plumb bob. I also used grease between the plumb and FP. only one split out of 10.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Can I see a pic of one of yours? I'm about to do this...
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:32:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2015 2:40:54 PM EST by goloud]
Originally Posted By lips3341:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lips3341:

I was just looking for my pics. Standby...

The angle is wierd, but the cones are pretty deep.

Top Top