Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2011 5:18:35 AM EDT
i want a M1 Garand, i know ill probably get laughed out of here.  But would it be cheaper to find parts and build one or is CMP the cheapest place?  I really cant justify spending alot right now so the $1000 guns are way out of range right now.  But ever since i got about 250 AP rounds in the clips for a M1 ive been wanting one
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:28:12 AM EDT
[#1]
IMHO CMP would be the best opition.  You'll get a gun that's put together by folks who live and breath Garand at a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 5:56:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not laughing. The CMP is definitely the ticket. And its a lot easier to qualify to order than you'd think. Your best bet as far as that goes is to go on the CMP website, find a club local to you, call to enroll in a CMP match (some clubs will have loaner garands and these folks are generally helpful as far as getting you set up to get on paper), then use the certificate as your proof of marksmanship. After that, all you need is membership in a club that promotes the shooting sports (Garand Collectors Association; apply online and they will send your info to the CMP), and some scratch. You send in a packet with all your info, and you wait. I'm not sure what the delay is right now, but I only waited a month for my last field grade. $495 plus shipping for a field grade. The service grade is $100 bucks more, and basically guarantees a cherry barrel, but lately, all the field grades I've seen or received have had cherry, ie. fresh from rearsenal, barrels installed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:42:42 AM EDT
[#3]
CMP all the way.  

Back in the day I bought a HRA M1 barreled reciever as there were allegedly no more HRA's coming down the CMP pipeline.   It cost me more than a CMP one (old price and higher new price) to put together.  Sum of the parts is always more than the whole.  Even more so when you add in the details like shipping on all the parts and finishing your own stock.

Go buy a CMP service grade if you want a nice shooter with a ton of life left in it.  Buy a field grade for a few bucks left if you want one just to shoot on the odd occaision as it already has more wear on it.  The service grade is the best deal in their lineup.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 6:44:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Read up on their requirements to purchase, gather your documents;  proof of citizenship, proof of marksman ship (I think a hunting license even qualifies or a pistol licensing course) and make a road trip to Anniston, Alabama and pick your own rifle out of their racks.  Can't go wrong picking your own.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 9:23:26 AM EDT
[#5]
CMP.  Garand parts are not cheap.  Nor is assembling a Garand easy.  To do it properly requires tools and knowledge, it is most assuredly NOT like slapping an AR together.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 9:43:49 AM EDT
[#6]
A Service Grade Garand from the CMP will cost you $595 + $22.95 S&H.  Personally, I would save the AP ammo and shoot standard Greek ball from the CMP.  AP ammo is just too pricey to just go out and shoot.  I save mine for special occasions.
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 3:37:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy a CMP Service Grade. I have built serveral but I did it becuase I enjoy it, not becuase it was cheaper (which is wasnt)
Link Posted: 8/9/2011 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Amp it will be then as I had no luck finding a receiver anyways.  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 2:28:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Amp it will be then as I had no luck finding a receiver anyways.  Thanks

CMP has recivers but that will run you $200.00
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#10]
As of like 1630 EST today, CMP SGs are sold out.  Got mine a month ago.  With the matches they sold ALOT!  I just hope its not gone like the carbines are.  Dang, I knew I should have ordered a few more.  Im gonna drive up there and see if I can find a good FG.

Semper Fi,

Hud
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 8:14:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Building an M1 hasn't been cheap since the late 90's, when the Danish kits were flooding the market. Those were good days.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 10:19:01 PM EDT
[#12]
dang that sucks....
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 2:33:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Service Grades are not out, they are just not taking orders until they get caught up. Happens every year at this time, many, many rifles left that havent even been graded
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 4:43:22 AM EDT
[#14]
$495 for a field grade, I got one from the North store a few weeks back and you could argue its a service grade
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:23:25 AM EDT
[#15]
The CMP gun will work.  It will arrive fast.  It would be very hard to beat the price vs quality.  

Send in your paperwork.  Buy some ammo too.  

I put this off a long time and finally did it.  You have to get started to get finished.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 9:48:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I have 3, a FG, SG and SG Special all purchased from CMP North store. Very hard to beat for the price. My most recent was a FG, 1944 SA with post war barrel, mostly WWII parts and a SA/GAW stamped stock set.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 11:13:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
$495 for a field grade, I got one from the North store a few weeks back and you could argue its a service grade

Handpicks yes, mail order is a crap shoot on FG many will nedd rebarreled
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top