Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 12/28/2011 10:16:25 AM EDT
im looing to get a upper  for my ar , about what kind of price am i looking at ? ( just starting out ) thanks
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 10:34:41 AM EDT
[#1]
what are you plans?
blasting?
matches?
elr?
whats your budget?
do you plan on reloading for it?
ALS and ferret are the best for an ar upper
there several in the field behind them
need more info from you
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#2]
i will be reloading  , just blasting first , and would like to stay under 2000.00 , thanks
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 4:22:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
i will be reloading  , just blasting first , and would like to stay under 2000.00 , thanks

Hey Kevin,
Does that budget include optics?
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I would love to recommend tactilite, but I haven't gotten mine yet, 6 weeks past the latest estimated delivery date.  And I have no estimate for a new date as off yet.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 2:15:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Ferret and ALS have the best rep currently... Almost anything *But* Hesse/Vulcan would probably serve fine for casual plinking.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 3:05:07 AM EDT
[#6]
thats with out optics , but would love to stay in that range with optics. thanks everyone
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 5:04:34 PM EDT
[#7]
For blasting would go with

The single shot is $1,450.00 and mag fed $2,283.00 The reason I recommend them is they are light and firing a .50 standing up takes it to a new level of fun.

I know the mag fed is higher than what you're looking to spend but firing a mag fed from a standing position is beyond fun.

Safety Harbor

This is me firing standing.
Making sure people are a wake at the range
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#8]
love the you tube  of you , looks like fun ,  what scope do you have on there ?
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Sent you an IM regarding an ALS.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 9:02:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Tommy 2399

What is your barrel length? From your vid the recoil looks manageable?
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
love the you tube  of you , looks like fun ,  what scope do you have on there ?

It is a cheap BSA, it has held zero surprisingly
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tommy 2399

What is your barrel length? From your vid the recoil looks manageable?

It is an 18" barrel.

Recoil: it is a 18 lb weapon and has more recoil in my opinion than other .50s. However it is manageable and in all fairness with a different stock it would be nicer. The stock is a Magpul Prs AR-15 and has a steel butpad and there are recoil pads for them but I never got one. In the summer with a tee shirt on the second shot is painful and the 3rd hurts and so forth.

Is very difference compared to a Watson upper, State Arms Shorty & Barret M82A1 CQ. Had the scope same scope on three differnt .50 and it has scope covers on it. The scope covers never moved on two of them and the Safety Harbor will knock the scope cover off.

To summaries, it has the strongest recoil of any .50 I've shot but it is doable and puts a big on your face.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Couldn't be happier with my Ferret.   Dave offers a very high quality build and unmatched customer service.  
Cheers,
cc
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:50:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Couldn't be happier with my Ferret.   Dave offers a very high quality build and unmatched customer service.  
Cheers,
cc

I'll see you and raise you one.

A big +1

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:31:05 AM EDT
[#15]
If you are just starting out then you might want to check out FCSA and start learning more about 50s.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#16]
My standard reply:

ALS

They use a two lug bolt, free floating match barrel, and have good match results. If you come across a used or older stock rifle check into their safety recall. $2300

Bohica Arms

The lowest priced of the true bolt-action uppers. They are decent quality, shoot well, but are nothing outstanding. Two lug bolt and an effective brake. According to the manufacturer currently in a "holding pattern" pending ATF review. Some have issues with rough chambers, which the manufacturer will correct. The current MK-IV is the current version and probably the best. Starts at $1295. This company is currently out of business, but used examples come up for sale from time to time.

Safety Harbor

Two lug bolt, non-floating barrel, available in single and mag-fed versions. Several barrel options and light in weight. Single shot $1950, mag fed $2450.

Tactilite

Single shot and mag-fed version. Two lug bolt, and full floating barrel (a few barrel options available). Single shot starts at $1898, mag fed at $2398

Ferret

IIRC the Ferret was the originator of a true bolt action upper. They use a 3 lug bolt (smoother action and less bolt throw than the 2 lug designs), full float barrel, and have a solid mechanical safety preventing an OOBD, as well as several barrel options. They have a solid reputation for accuracy. Uppers start at $2145.

Watson's Weapons

The first single shot upper. The rifle must be shot-gunned to remove the screw-in bolt with a hand crank. The receiver is a heavy duty aluminum AR-15 mated to a target barrel. It is slow to load but solid and accurate. Price is $1349. I had one when it was the only choice for an affordable upper. Accurate gun, but loading/unloading gets old fast.

I've had experience with the Watson's and Bohica only, though have researched the rest. Check their sites for features/options and online for reviews.

The general consensus is to stay away from anything by Vulcan Armament/Hesse Arms, as attractive as the prices may be.

For a bit more, fairly affordable, complete purpose-built fifties can be had from Serbu, Armalite, State Arms, Watson's Weapon's, Only Long Range, and Barrett.

ETA:
Check out the 50 BMG Price List for prices on most everything out there.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top