Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2002 8:14:55 AM EDT
Well my para p12 is really a nice gun but during the summer its fat grip gets a little hard to conceal with a T-shirt, so I am looking around for another carry gun I want a .45 and a perferably 1911 type and was wondering what kind of options I have, I want a single stack for concealability and maybe even something shorter than my para like with a 3" barrel, I also want something that will feed anything and is very reliable. anyone have a defender, those look pretty good except I don't like the grips, how about the springfield micro compact?

Any other compact .45's I should look at?
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 10:31:24 AM EDT
[#1]
That Springfield micro is quite nice.  Kimber also makes a couple of nice models.  The trouble with a lot of them is the weight.  I have a S&W 945 compact.  Like it a lot.  Similar in size.  BAsically, I bought it because I wanted one of the best made pistols - S&W performance center guns are supposed to be bench made by one smith, rather than production lines.  It's probably the last step before custom, which I didn't want to go to.  Worth spending some extra bucks on the better lines, you don't want your life to depend on junk.

I like to wear "cargo" shorts, which have the large pocket.  Yes, not good for quick access, but you have to watch your surroundings.  Easy enough to "transport" like that and put under the shirt (Galco Stealth) when necessary.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 11:01:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 11:05:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Colt Defender, Galco Summer comfort holster---I like it...  Take those goofy rubber grips off and put some galcavo alves or similar, enjoy!
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Glock 36!

I love mine-it's smaller than my S & W Chief's special, light and accurate. Of course I still lust after one of those little Kimber Ultra CDP's that come with the factory melt job and night sights-sweet gun (should be for $ 1000) but I don't honestly think it'd would shoot any better than my fugly little Glock

Amazing how that works isn't it. Every time I catch myself eyeing some snazzy 1911 pattern pistol I go to the range with my G30, G20 or both.

They are ugly, I have received snide comments from some of the "seasoned shooters" about plastic but I've never had a FTF from any one of my Glocks and they just plain shoot for me.

I even got the wife to shoot the G20 yesterday which is an accomplishment I never thought I would see.

Careful with buying a Glock 36, next thing you know you will want the 30, 21, 20, 29......
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#5]
a Glock 30 would just put me in the same boat as the para fat grip and the weight issue of carring 13rounds of golden sabers on your right side. I like the single stack 1911's because they are so thin even a full size gov model can be easyly concealed but gets damn heavy!
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:26:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
a Glock 30 would just put me in the same boat as the para fat grip and the weight issue of carring 13rounds of golden sabers on your right side. I like the single stack 1911's because they are so thin even a full size gov model can be easyly concealed but gets damn heavy!

The G36 is a single stack and has a comparable capacity of 6+1 to the smaller 1911s.

Also the Glocks I own have digested anything I have fed them. I can't say the same for the Para P-14 I had.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:45:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the P-12 limited with the ramped barell so it feed everything! I am a beggining reloader so it is really amazing the crap that the little gun with eat I accidently set my press to seat the bullets too low and my other .45s were jammin but the little para ate them all, cool little gun its too bad you didn't have good luck with your p-14 I have heard they have problems, I guess I have one of the good ones! was your P-14 a limited? I think the throated ramped barrel really helps reliability with hollow points and wadcutters.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have the P-12 limited with the ramped barell so it feed everything! I am a beggining reloader so it is really amazing the crap that the little gun with eat I accidently set my press to seat the bullets too low and my other .45s were jammin but the little para ate them all, cool little gun its too bad you didn't have good luck with your p-14 I have heard they have problems, I guess I have one of the good ones! was your P-14 a limited? I think the throated ramped barrel really helps reliability with hollow points and wadcutters.

Yes I had the Limited. I could not get it to feed Federal Hydrashoks at all. First time I tried to drop the slide on one it jammed straight into the feed ramp and was a PITA to dislodge. It would not function at all. I sold it shortly thereafter and bought a Glock 30.

Fed ball fine though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 3:37:45 PM EDT
[#9]
It wouldn't feed hydros even after it was all broken in?? I hear some people have to break the guns in on ball then they will feed the hollows.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It wouldn't feed hydros even after it was all broken in?? I hear some people have to break the guns in on ball then they will feed the hollows.

It's been about two years since I turned to the dark side and went Glock so some of the details are fuzzy.

I shot about 250 rounds the first time I took it out. Shot ball and didn't have a problem. I shot a couple of matches using ball and didn't have any problems, that was probably another 150 rounds.

I bought 4 boxes of Hydrashoks and the very first time I dropped the slide the cartridge went straight into the feed ramp and jammed. I dropped the mag and went about dislodging the jam. More attempts to get the Fed to feed had the same result. I wasn't very pleased. I didn't try any other HP designs and sold the pistol shortly thereafter.

It all worked out well in the end. I am extremely pleased with the Glock platform. I own 5 Glocks now and have had zero functions problems regardless of ammo. They fit my hand very nicely and I consider passive safety system a wonderful feature. I use it as a learning tool when taking newbies to the range to get the point across that the only reliable safety system is the operator.

Same trigger from gun to gun albeit the Glock stock trigger is by no means a match trigger but I have grown to like the trigger very much. Especially after I learned to "stroke" the trigger for double taps and failure to stop drills.

To each their own, Good luck with your search.

Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:44:55 PM EDT
[#11]
check out the para 6.45
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:50:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I carry a Kimber Custom CDP.  It's full length, but a thin single stack 1911.  It has an aluminum frame to help with the weight.

Any of Kimber's CDP's would work great for you.

The only draw back is the $950 price tag.  You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#14]
As someone who carries a full size 1911 in central Florida year round, my advice to you is that you should look at how you carry the gun rather than looking for a new, smaller gun.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 8:57:40 PM EDT
[#15]
RikWriter I do carry a full size gov model but it is a big gun and kinda akward what do you do for a living by the way? and what kind of cloths do you where to conceal a full size?
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a Glock 36 w/ a Bianchi profesional holster. It's an IWB w/ a belt clip, and it makes the gun disappear. The holster is made for a Glock 17, and it will actually hide one under a light windbreaker. My range officer couldn't see it. I love the 36. I got it just for the same reason, but have been thinking of selling it for a new rifle.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 9:18:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
As someone who carries a full size 1911 in central Florida year round, my advice to you is that you should look at how you carry the gun rather than looking for a new, smaller gun.  

Very good advice! I too tote around a full size 1911 all year round and would recommend the same for anyone who fancies the 1911 platform.

1911greg - What carry rig are you currently using? If the gun gets "damn heavy" you might want to try a new holster/belt/mag pouch system.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 9:27:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I love the look and feel of the Kimber CDP, and have heard nothing but good things about them.  Another option I havent heard yet, and seems to fit me oh so right is the Sig P220.  Lightweight and excellent pointability.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 10:20:32 AM EDT
[#19]
My vote goes to the Kimber Ultra Carry.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
what kind of cloths do you where to conceal a full size?

I wear a tucked-in tank top, with an untucked polo shirt over it.
I carry in a Galco Summer Comfort leather IWB holster on a Wilson carry belt.  The belt is the key.  You have to have a quality belt to carry a heavy gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top