Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2008 7:51:58 PM EDT
Thread title says it all, I am looking for a suppressor in the 500 or less range including stamp to attach to my ciener equipped bushmaster. What are my options and why would I go with one over another, I know next to nothing about suppressors, so school me please?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:04:56 PM EDT
[#1]
look at HTG.  He has really good reviews and makes a 22lr suppressor that is heavier than normal.  He uses stainless instead of aluminium.  He also rates it as good for limited 223 use.  I told a buddy about these and he told a guy we know about them.  Our other friend got one and now my buddy is wanting one.  He was saying it was often and worked almost as well as his 223 suppressor for considerably less weight.  I have not seen reviews of his 22 suppressor but have seen rave reviews on his 9mm.

ETA ooops missed the price range you would be looking at around450 + tax stamp sorry.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#2]
first tip: increase your budget.

a good 22 can is going to run around $300 give or take a bit.. transfer, $200, + your dealers fee, which could be nothing, up to $100 or more depending on your local market.

if you plan to shoot a bunch, i suggest getting a can you can take apart to service, preferably one that's made of stainless or anything other than aluminum.

i like my SRT comanche. it might not be the quietest, but, it definitely gets the job done. easy to take apart, easy to maintain. and doug over at SRT is a great guy to do business with.

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#3]
The YHM SS Mite is also a good can that you can take a part and clean.  It also is $300.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:05:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Hey Zack ,

Instead of taking it apart what do you think of ultrasonic cleaning?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#5]
what about the yhm wraith?
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 7:17:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I use my HTG Uni on my Bushy M4 and have been happy.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 7:50:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Tac-65 that is a take apart .22lr can that I'm very pleased with.  It was less than $300 if I recall.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 7:58:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
what about the yhm wraith?

Most people here don't like the fact that it is sealed and can't be taken apart.

That being said, I love mine, use it almost everyday.  It is very quiet, and I haven't seen any degradetion in perfomance.  i would by another one in a heartbeat.  Great for rfile use.  For pistol's it can be harder.  It works on a Ruger MKII Target. but for many other's (Like P22) it will block the factory sight b/c og the large diameter....

~~Dan
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 10:14:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hey Zack ,

Instead of taking it apart what do you think of ultrasonic cleaning?

never done ultrasonic cleaning.

my comanche gets very dirty, as it is used on F/A 99% of the time.

Take can apart, mix up some magic cleaning juice*, soak, change, soak, change, soak, clean!

*magic cleaning juice is 50% white vinegar, 50% hydrogen peroxide. Be warned though, this cleans gunk off of stainless steel cans, but will eat aluminum. oh, and it also turns all the lead based gunk into lead acetate, which you do NOT want to trifle with. Very dangerous substance.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 3:56:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm waiting to pick up my Tac65. It was $249 + tax. I shot one and was pretty happy with the sound reduction for the price.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I picked a NIB Tac65 from local dealer for $190 OTD awhile back and are extremely happy with it.  I shot it a long with other .22LR cans and couldn't tell the different between them beside they all have different tones.

I haven't take it a part yet but will soon, since round counts will be reaching around 15K
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 3:22:14 AM EDT
[#12]
OK....I'll use the G-word and probley get flamed but, my Gemtech Outback 2 works well and is light enough to not notice it's attached. Granted the price will be right at the top end of what you are wanting to spend and Gemtech doesn't want you taking it apart. Before you buy, try or listen (in person & from different angles & distances) to several models that interest you on the host(s) that you intend to use as everyone has a preference or bias. Overall the Outback 2 performs in the top 1/3 or so of similar suppressors (size/weight/diameter/etc.) and it is the right choice for me.

Also if you are connecting to a AR barrel that is threaded to 0.6" you will likely need a 0.2" spacer depending on which manufacturer and model you choose.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 8:28:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Check the EE.  Green-0 has a good can.  I think his price went up though.  I got one of the first runs for 225$ and it's a great can....well, at least I think so.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Check the EE.  Green-0 has a goodgreat can.  I think his price went up though.  I got one of the first runs for 225$ and it's a great can....well, at least I think so.

Fixed.

I have a checkmate and love it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 3:58:39 AM EDT
[#15]
What is the modification (new flash hider/thread extensions?) on the AR one would need to accept the 22 can?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 4:09:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Most .22lr cans are set up for .4" thread length and the AR has .6" exposed threads which could put the barrel dangerously close to the first baffle.  Someone on this board sells a .2" spacer that threads on first and allows you to snug the suppressor down to the spacer.
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 4:21:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What is the modification (new flash hider/thread extensions?) on the AR one would need to accept the 22 can?

Thanks

I can't say for others, but I can tell you with a YHM Wraith QD, nothing.  The QD threads are already .63.  The QD rest flat on the shoulder and the barrel doesn't go past the QD.  The only thing YHM told me is if the threads are typ. 22 (.4 inch long) you must make sure the shoulder is perp. to the bore since that will determine where the QD sits when you are not bottoming out the threads....
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 4:28:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks

I can't say for others, but I can tell you with a YHM Wraith QD, nothing.  The QD threads are already .63.  The QD rest flat on the shoulder and the barrel doesn't go past the QD.  The only thing YHM told me is if the threads are typ. 22 (.4 inch long) you must make sure the shoulder is perp. to the bore since that will determine where the QD sits when you are not bottoming out the threads....

Thanks.  Just to be clear how would the QD

mount on an AR and keep a FH given the picture from the YHM site?

Link Posted: 8/5/2008 5:32:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Check out silencer reasearch. They have a listing of the best 22 silencers for rifles and pistols. The lists give everything you need to decide what is best for you. Belive it or not there is a difference whether it is oging on a pistol or rifle. Not the best pistol silencer works the best on a rifle and vis versa.

You might have to register but if you are in the market for a silncer that is the place to go before you lay down you hard earned cash.

According to silencer reasearch the best stainless, take apart silencer for a .22 rifle is the SRT Commanche that lists for $375. It has a net reduction of 23.6 db for a db level of 113.7 out of a bolt action rifle using Aguila Super Extra Subsonic 40 grain rounds.

The best stainless, take apart silencer for a .22 pistol is one by Sierra Manufacturing  that lists for $295. It has a net reduction of 39.4 db for a db level of 116.6 using CCI Stand Velocity rounds.

Silencer Research

For an idea of sound reduction here are a few things that are similar in noise levels:
Browning Buckmark Bolt Drop on an Empty Chamber 112.2dB Average
Ruger 10/22 Bolt Drop on an Empty Chamber  112.5dB Average
Colt 635 Style Upper Bolt Drop on empty chamber  117dB Average

Dolomite
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 9:35:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Check out silencer research. They have a listing of the best 22 silencers for rifles and pistols. The lists give everything you need to decide what is best for you. Believe it or not there is a difference whether it is oging on a pistol or rifle. Not the best pistol silencer works the best on a rifle and vis versa.

You might have to register but if you are in the market for a silencer that is the place to go before you lay down you hard earned cash.

According to silencer research the best stainless, take apart silencer for a .22 rifle is the SRT Commanche that lists for $375. It has a net reduction of 23.6 db for a db level of 113.7 out of a bolt action rifle using Aguila Super Extra Subsonic 40 grain rounds.

The best stainless, take apart silencer for a .22 pistol is one by Sierra Manufacturing  that lists for $295. It has a net reduction of 39.4 db for a db level of 116.6 using CCI Stand Velocity rounds.

Silencer Research

For an idea of sound reduction here are a few things that are similar in noise levels:
Browning Buckmark Bolt Drop on an Empty Chamber 112.2dB Average
Ruger 10/22 Bolt Drop on an Empty Chamber  112.5dB Average
Colt 635 Style Upper Bolt Drop on empty chamber  117dB Average

Dolomite

I have visited SR and appreciate the differences in a rifle and pistol cans and the applicability.  I do not however see anything about directly using a AR and what one uses to attach the 22 can.

I guess I am blatantly looking for something like this - a description showing a FH/mount options with the cans.

Link Posted: 8/5/2008 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#21]
[

Quoted:

Thanks.  Just to be clear how would the QD

mount on an AR and keep a FH given the picture from the YHM site?

That mount replaces the FH.  Most FH mounts I am aware of are for .223 or larger,  and many feel that gives satisfactory results for 22.....so they use a .223 can for either .22 or 5.56

Here is a video of my wraith on a .22 AR with 5.5" Barrel.  Sound is always hard to judge on video, but if you listen, you will see it is not even disturbing the birds...
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
[

Quoted:
Thanks.  Just to be clear how would the QD mount on an AR and keep a FH given the picture from the YHM site?

That mount replaces the FH.  Most FH mounts I am aware of are for .223 or larger,  and many feel that gives satisfactory results for 22.....so they use a .223 can for either .22 or 5.56

Here is a video of my wraith on a .22 AR with 5.5" Barrel.  Sound is always hard to judge on video, but if you listen, you will see it is not even disturbing the birds...

Hmm - goal was not to keep swapping a FH to accommodate the 22 can every time I get that suppressor itch.  BTW - no link to your video.

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
.  BTW - no link to your video.

Thanks all.

Fixed Video
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top