Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2012 8:47:21 AM EDT
I have multiple guns in .308 and 5.56 and was wondering if everyone does a load development for each gun with each guns ammo seperated? I am not looking to load match grade single raged holed groups but close enough to factory. I hope my question makes sense.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 9:09:29 AM EDT
[#1]
if they are mainly just for plinking work a load up in your tightest chamber and it should work well in the rest of your guns.

I find if i work up a good load for a particular projectile they shoot about the same through whatever gun.

This is a little backwards from what i am recommending but i worked up a load in my 556 barrel that i like to shoot a lot and it shoots fine through my 223 wylde trunk gun
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 9:18:35 AM EDT
[#2]
It's for plinking, my rifle classes, and just to get my stockpile up. I don't own a sub moa gun so what I am mainly after is just getting my stockpile up.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 11:24:36 AM EDT
[#3]
My short answer is Yes.

I develop loads for each of my bolt action remingtons (223 and 308).

The 223 loads for the remington are different than the loads I use in my ARs.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 2:57:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I pick the rifle I'm most likely to shoot the most and dial it in for that then test it out in the other one.  You'd be surprised how close that can get you on many rifles. For instance, my 68grn Hornady load developed for my 20" AR also gives 5/8" groups in my son's Savage bolt gun.  My 158grn 357mag load developed for my 24" Rossi levergun also is really accurate in my 20" Rossi carbine.  That said, I think we got lucky on the Savage as it produces smaller groups than my AR.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 2:13:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I don't own a sub moa gun .....

You might. You just have to spend a bunch of time and money doing load development to find out!

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 2:48:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I pick the rifle I'm most likely to shoot the most and dial it in for that then test it out in the other one.  You'd be surprised how close that can get you on many rifles.

This is working just fine for my ARs.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't own a sub moa gun .....

You might. You just have to spend a bunch of time and money doing load development to find out!  

ain't that something everyone is running short of now days?
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:09:15 AM EDT
[#8]
The headspace of all my AR's are within a mil of each other (which I find amazing).  This is within the measurement error of the method I use to make the measurement (using fired brass).  Because I push the shoulder back 2 or 3 mils, the reloads fit all the rifles.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#9]
As a general rule, I find that if you tune a load to your lightest weight barreled rifle in that calibre, it shoots good in all the others too.  That's my observation at least.  

Some of my personal exceptions:
30-06 loads with components not appropriate for a Garand, are loaded specifically for bolt action rifles, and kept carefully segregated.  I just burn those up as fast as I can, and try standardizing on Garand appropriate loads only, for all of them.

For .223, I do have some 600 yard loads for a long throat NM rifle, that are specific to that rifle.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top