Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2002 10:42:38 PM EDT
I have recently become interested in purchasing a lightweight AR post ban carbine.  I have a Colt H-BAR post ban but would like a lightweight carbine "for my wife" (I am still convincing her that she really needs one!).  For weight savings I (I mean she) would like one with a fixed collapsible buttstock, and no muzzle break.  To my way of thinking muzzle breaks are loud, increase muzzle flash and are not necessary on a rifle chambered for 5.56mm (low recoil) even for a short barrel.
 My real question is this; what are the opinions of people who have bought or shot rifles of this type?  I have looked around and only the Oly FAR-15 and the Colt lightweight model seemed to fit the bill.  All of the B.M.'s, RRA's, etc. seem to have heavy barrels only or some sort of muzzle break attached.
 I am leaning towards the FAR-15 based on price, light weight, and proper configuration.  But, I am a little worried about the non-chrome lined barrel in terms of barrel life and rust resistence.  Does anyone know what the expected barrel life is for non-chromed barrels of this type with mil-spec ammo?  Sorry for all the questions but I am tired of searching the archives and hope that there is some new info out there from people who have purchased these rifles or have experience with them.  Thanks in advance.

We R 138
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 11:00:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Bushmaster just built the first run of "Superlight 16" uppers.  Got one on order at the BRC and it's on its way home to Texas as we speak.  Bushy says it's the lightest upper they've ever made, similar to the A1 style barrel from Viet Nam days.  Don't know how light till next week.  Bushy is making it in pre-ban only so the bayo lug has to come off and the FS gets changed to one of Kurt's A2 brakes.  You could also put on a LeVang brake.  They're quieter than anything I've tried.  LeVang's don't work like most brakes they exhaust gas forward instead of to the side/rear.  Bushy isn't making complete Superlight 16 rifles so you'd have to scrounge up a lower.  They can help you there too if you don't already have a spare.  Or you could get a Cav Arms polymer lower and go for a real lightweight.  That's my plan.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 12:50:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't worry too much about the muzzlebrake. Granted, some of them are loud, but you should be wearing protection for your ears (and eyes) regardless. The brake just redirects the noise, it doesn't actually make it any louder. And if for some reason you did have to fire it under emergency conditions without hearing protection, noise will be the last of your worries anyhow. With that said a brake protects the crown, keeps the barrel level when firing and just makes the rifle look 10 times better than with a bare muzzle.

If I were to buy an AR type carbine right now (and I am scrounging up for one slowly), my first choice would probably be a Rock River Arms M4. These seem well put together and in my opinion they are the best looking (postban) M4 on the market. I want the flat top and would really love to have an aimpoint red dot sitting on top of it. These do have a muzzlebrake but it is a great looking one and would probably not be too loud. Personally, if it isn't a Bushmaster brake, I don't find them too loud anyway.

Something else you might look at is the DPMS line of carbines. They have a Lo-Pro and Hi-Pro carbine as well as a CAR type rifle that uses A1 style sights and has a bare muzzle. For a 16" barreled carbine, I really don't see a need for adjustable sights that extend out to 800 meters anyway. Just doesn't make much sense. One of these might be what you are looking for. DPMS has a website. I am sorry I can't think of the URL off the top of my head, but do a search for it and you will probably find it easy. It may just simply be www.dpms.com...but I can't say for sure.

Anyway good luck and let us know what you settle on for yourself.....I mean your wife! LOL.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 1:31:20 AM EDT
[#3]
FAC carries DPMS uppers and their prices appear to be $100.00 less than DPMS's catalog price for non-FFL holders. Their website is atvsnstuff.net or www.gunsnstuff.net/ 16" upper with bolt for $349.00.

If you have an FFL who can order a lower for you they have DPMS lowers which are less than my FFL was able to get them from DPMS (which he gets for me at cost).  They also advertise Olympic arms and Cavalry Arms lowers.

I have never ordered from them yet but you might want to check it out.

I had a 16" Bushmaster postban which was a sweet gun but if it is for your wife I think a regular A2 stock would be fine with a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 9:20:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info, I ordered a catalog from FAC and also checked out the DPMS Panther lite 16".  This looks pretty good but I am wondering about A1 sites, what's the difference between these and the A2 sites?
 Also with regard to a muzzle break, I always wear eye and ear protection when shooting but would not be in a SHTF scenario.  This is why I think that muzzle breaks are generally worthless on tactical weapons, yeah they look cool but you pay for it with increased muzzle blast and noise.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:31:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
 I am leaning towards the FAR-15 based on price, light weight, and proper configuration.  But, I am a little worried about the non-chrome lined barrel in terms of barrel life and rust resistence.  Does anyone know what the expected barrel life is for non-chromed barrels of this type with mil-spec ammo?

Oly has had the lightest metal (not plastic) AR15 on the market, at just under 5 pounds.

Based upon how most of us shoot, it will outlast us and ou grand kids.  Cleaning like the typical shooter does and rust will not be a problem.  It is a good gun that has been around for a couple years.

mark
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Bushmaster just built the first run of "Superlight 16" uppers.  Got one on order at the BRC and it's on its way home to Texas as we speak.  Bushy says it's the lightest upper they've ever made, similar to the A1 style barrel from Viet Nam days.  Don't know how light till next week.  Bushy is making it in pre-ban only so the bayo lug has to come off and the FS gets changed to one of Kurt's A2 brakes.  You could also put on a LeVang brake.  They're quieter than anything I've tried.  LeVang's don't work like most brakes they exhaust gas forward instead of to the side/rear.  Bushy isn't making complete Superlight 16 rifles so you'd have to scrounge up a lower.  They can help you there too if you don't already have a spare.  Or you could get a Cav Arms polymer lower and go for a real lightweight.  That's my plan.

DONT FORGET TO POST PICS!
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#7]
find an A1 "pencil" barrel. you could get a gau-5(sp?) barrel. thier only a few hundered dollars from colt
(yes, "only" was a sarcastic remark)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top