Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2010 4:01:08 PM EDT
Moved my Liberty 23 (Gander Mtn) gun safe and we removed the door by jimmyn' the door until it came off
Now we can't get it back on....
I saw specs on their website that the hinges are welded on the door and body so they don't unbolt off the door, unfortunately
The door lines up but then we need to pull the door towards the top of the safe to get the male hinge pins on the door into the female ones on the box side.
Now here is the problem.... the male hinge pins are 3" long and the door can only move 1" at most....

The only way we see to get it back on is to cut the hinge pins down to an inch maybe 3/4"

Yes, i know now to never remove the door but does anyone have a suggestion besides cutting the hinge pins???
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#1]
why did u have to take the door off? That's a major pain.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#2]
DON'T CUT THE HING'S?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:00:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Your not supposed to take the door off a liberty. I work on safes for a living and have never had a liberty door off. Good luck with that one.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#4]
By "Jimmying" do you mean stuffing a crowbar between the door and the box and spreading the box apart till the door came off?  Or maybe prying the door away from the box until it slid off?  

However you tweaked it to come off you're going to have to do the same to get it back on, but this time you don't have the leverage of the door to help.  So you've got a couple of options, find some other form of leverage like a farm jack, use hydraulic power like a porta power, or heat the hinge, bend it, put the door back on then heat again and bend it back.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#5]
@$#k... just my luck....

No tools were used to remove the door just a few beers and some bad advise....

The biggest problem now is that i moved an hour away from everyone i know that can help.

I honestly don't see anyway to position the door to drop the pins back into the hinges.

Liberty says there hinges use ball bearings, does that mean there is a bearing in the bottom of the hinge that the male pins sits on to open smoothly?? This was the only concern i see with cutting the pin.

I understand the leverage tip i guess my next plan is to use a bottle jack and see if i can cram the hinges into place.

Thanks for he help guys, i'll let y'all know the outcome but i wouldn't be able to work on it until next weekend.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:09:06 PM EDT
[#6]
It sounds like you may need some type of hoist that can safely hold the weight of the door while the door is maneuvered into place.

This might be a good time to contact the factory before doing anything else like cutting pins or whatnot. There might be a simple, non-obvious trick to putting the door back on.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:46:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Well one thing for sure don't cut anything. If you got the door off with only beer and man power then you should be able to get it back on.
Maybe you can rent an engine hoist or something to hold the door while you try and slide it back on.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:43:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Where are you at in NC? I have an engine hoist in Sanford that you could borrow if you think it would help.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:21:21 PM EDT
[#9]
A simple hand truck/dolly to lift the door and manuver it into position and one person holding the door to stabalize it works wonders.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:15:26 PM EDT
[#10]
there is usually a set screw, and a round ball bearing that sits in the hole.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Well one thing for sure don't cut anything. If you got the door off with only beer and man power then you should be able to get it back on.

Maybe you can rent an engine hoist or something to hold the door while you try and slide it back on.

This...........Simply drink MOAR beer.

Problem solved
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#12]
If you can take the bearings out you may be able to put the pins in the holes at an angle, then use a hoist to hold it in place while you put the bearings in and line it all up.  This would be ideal as you don't have to bend or force anything.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:58:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Moved my Liberty 23 (Gander Mtn) gun safe and we removed the door by jimmyn' the door until it came off
Now we can't get it back on....
I saw specs on their website that the hinges are welded on the door and body so they don't unbolt off the door, unfortunately
The door lines up but then we need to pull the door towards the top of the safe to get the male hinge pins on the door into the female ones on the box side.
Now here is the problem.... the male hinge pins are 3" long and the door can only move 1" at most....

The only way we see to get it back on is to cut the hinge pins down to an inch maybe 3/4"

Yes, i know now to never remove the door but does anyone have a suggestion besides cutting the hinge pins???

Buy a new safe, cause you just destroyed that one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 12:12:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Can you explain why you took the door off????  It is not like moving a dresser and taking the drawers out.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:17:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Can you explain why you took the door off????  It is not like moving a dresser and taking the drawers out.

From an earlier post
a few beers and some bad advise...

The job at hand is getting it back on, not berating him for taking it off.  But don't worry, when it's back on we'll have a long thread where we get to call him a dumbass as many different ways possible, we'll even use a thesaurus to make sure we don't miss any.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#16]
You might try calling Liberty, worst case scenario they join the majority in laughing at you...
Link Posted: 11/7/2010 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I am sure you already figured it out, but just to put it out there because I just had the same problem.  The key to getting the door back on it to turn the door and the safe upside down, then you will be able to roll the "top" (now the bottom pin) pin inside the frame and the bottom (now the top) will roll right into the frame.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top