Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 6/30/2012 6:25:30 PM EDT
Semi, pump, sXs. Let's see your bad boy under the coat blasters.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:03:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 2:05:26 PM EDT
WHat exactly is your deffinition of a "whip it" gun?
I guess any pistol grip shotgun or AOW would be a whip-it, right? The only thing I'm familular with is the remington m-11s that bonnie and clyde used with sawed off barrels and stocks were called whip-its.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 7:07:36 AM EDT
My father, a deputy sheriff in the 50's and the elected sheriff in the 60's and 70's had a factory Remington 20 ga. pump "whip-it" which had been used by bank guards in the 20's. He would be working alone in some bad areas back when a deputy, and carried it with him. He told the story of having a bunch of suspects of a knifing lined up one night and one guy kept trying to sneak off. Touching off the shotgun in the air and the resulting 3 foot long flame brought the guy back into line quickly and instant respect among the rest of them.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 12:23:19 PM EDT
A Remington 20 gauge pump in the '20s would have been a Model 17.  It became the Ithaca 37, favorite hideout/whipit gun for generations.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 2:35:02 PM EDT
The book The World's Fighting Shotguns by Thomas Swearengen has some great info in it on whipit shotguns (IIRC a shotgun that can be easily "whipped out"). Have a hankerin to build one like Bonnie Parker used to use; IIRC four different 20ga Remington Model 11s were recovered over the years with different barrel lengths and various cut down stocks. My problem is that 20ga Remington Model 11s tend to be kinda spendy and I won't cut up a nice one… want to find one that's been cut down earlier in its life, maybe a nice old gun someone had a Cutts or Poly Choke installed on. I think there was a 12ga Remington Model 11 whipit in the guns recovered from Dillinger. I imagine any criminals used whipits.

A friend sent me this pic, not sure what museum it is from, but appears to be the above mentioned Remington Model 17 20ga cut down to be a whipit.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:25:25 PM EDT

How long is that barrel? That looks awesome.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:14:55 PM EDT
18 and a quarter inches from the breach face, mister ATF agent.

J/K,well about the ATF agent part anyway, it really is 18.25". I even had it threaded for chokes.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 6:37:08 PM EDT
I would love to build one off one of those new Savages.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 5:16:52 AM EDT
Quoted:
The book The World's Fighting Shotguns by Thomas Swearengen has some great info in it on whipit shotguns (IIRC a shotgun that can be easily "whipped out"). Have a hankerin to build one like Bonnie Parker used to use; IIRC four different 20ga Remington Model 11s were recovered over the years with different barrel lengths and various cut down stocks. My problem is that 20ga Remington Model 11s tend to be kinda spendy and I won't cut up a nice one… want to find one that's been cut down earlier in its life, maybe a nice old gun someone had a Cutts or Poly Choke installed on. I think there was a 12ga Remington Model 11 whipit in the guns recovered from Dillinger. I imagine any criminals used whipits.

A friend sent me this pic, not sure what museum it is from, but appears to be the above mentioned Remington Model 17 20ga cut down to be a whipit.

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l610/11-48/nyc08241101502.jpg

thats exactly what i wanted to do with an ithaca m37
Top Top