Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/9/2002 8:38:41 AM EDT
So I live in Utah and am a resident here. My parents live in Wyoming, where Glocks are freaking avaliable. I am 21 years of age. To avoid a transfer fee would it be legal for them to "sign" for a glock and then give it to me? I have never really understood the laws behind signing for someone else. Like when I was 14 and got my hunting rifle, the FFL guy new exactly what it was for because he fit the scope for me and everything. I need some input.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 11:57:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/9/2002 11:59:43 AM EDT by ajacobs]
ahh, perfect opertunity to whip out my atf firearm guide book.

Normally purchasing for or transfering to a family member is not considered straw purchases. And are therefore legal.

On the other hand you reside in a different state so this would be illegal for a handgun.

But if they were buying it as a gift it would be legal. i.e. they were paying for it.

Tricky ground.
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 12:19:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/9/2002 12:20:58 PM EDT by EOD_Guy]
It is illegal for an unlicensed individual to transfer any firearm of any type to another unlicensed individual who is a resident of another state. The only exception is for firearms that are bequests from an estate.

(Edited to add unlicensed, meaning non FFL holder)
Top Top