Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2007 8:21:27 PM EDT
hello all, im new to message boards but i have been checking out this site for some time now so please forgive me for being a newb.  lol....anyways i have a k98 i purchased about a month ago and after taking it to the range i noticed that it shoots about 5 inches high at 25m.  i was wondering if anyone can give me a link to show a proper site picture or if there is any ideas on how to fix my problem.  also the ammo used is 1950s yugo.   thanks guys
Link Posted: 5/26/2007 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't have an anwser for you but

WELCOME

So when are you buying an AK ????
Link Posted: 5/26/2007 10:46:34 PM EDT
[#2]
How is the windage? If it shoots center but 5'' high, you're in good shape.

Try shooting at 100m and see how it does. The rifle was meant to be shot at longer range, so excessive elevation at short range is to be expected.
Link Posted: 5/26/2007 10:58:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Try shooting it without the barrel bands or hand guard on it. Alot of those old rifles have poorly fit stocks that, when assembled with the barrel bands, bends the barrel slightly upward. It isn't a permanent bend, so don't sweat it if it is. Perhaps a better word would be flex. The barrels are sometimes flexed upward.
Link Posted: 5/27/2007 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to the site!

The advice is shoot at 100 yards is good.  Shoot at that distance and see where your zero is.  Adjust for shorter ranges from there.

Also, remember to clean REALLY WELL after shooting as all the milsurp ammo is corrosive.  Here's a good thread I found awhile back regarding cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo.

Box O Truth
Link Posted: 5/27/2007 2:34:16 PM EDT
[#5]
To answer your question about it shooting 5" high at 25 meters, don't worry.  25 meters is no stretch for the K98 or the 8 mm cartridge.  If you're shooting that high at 100 or 200 yds., then you have a problem somewhere.

Welcome, and pleasant shooting.
Link Posted: 5/27/2007 3:46:31 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks for all the welcomes.  first i do have an AK, a WASR 10 with a canted front sight that i havent fixed yet...must be something with me and front sights. lol... next the windage did seem to be dead on and i will have to try shooting at 100m and see where it hits next time out at the range.  i will also try removing the barrel bands.  thanks for the info guys
Link Posted: 5/28/2007 6:14:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Not to sound condescending, but your windage should not change when varrying distance.  Also, the numbers on your rear sight are labeled in meters.  Unfortunately, I believe the rear sight starts at 100 meters, so you should just leave it set to the lowest setting.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Like other said, thes rifles have long legs and can reach a ways out so i wouldnt worry about it at 25 yds. Play at 100+ and you'll see why
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 4:19:23 PM EDT
[#9]
One thing to check..The bullet weight, these and other '98's in 8mm, sights are regulated for what ever bullet weight the goverment of the country wanted. Most common is the 198gr bullet, but some of the surplus ammo being sold is 150gr,and commerical ammo (at least in the U.S.) is pretty weak, using a lighter bullet than the sights are regulated for could  cause a POI change.. I also agree with everyone else and  I'd set it up at 100 yds or meters, and then try again. I'd also try a 198gr or a 200gr bullet if you aren't already.. Another common problem is the height of the front sight, since there is no way of knowing what has happened to this rifle over the years and who or how often it was rebuilt,it's also very possible that the front sight blade is not of the correct height, with so many Mausers of diffrent types,(rifles carbines,etc) countries manfacturering, being used during WWII. It's very possible your could have the wrong height blade in it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 7:30:30 PM EDT
[#10]
hmm...well the next chance i get i will head to the range and try some targets at 100m.  the ammo ive been using is the surplus 1950s yugo and im pretty sure the bullet is 198 or 196 grains.  the gun is a russian capture k98 and hopefully the front sight isnt wrong cause that would just ruin my day.  also the windage is perfect dead center of the target at 25m just POI is a bit high.  thanks again guys
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 10:40:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
the gun is a russian capture k98 and hopefully the front sight isnt wrong cause that would just ruin my day.

Front sight blades for M98 Mausers are not even close to being rare. If it isn't the right one, it isn't a big deal to get another one.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#12]
ok guys i went out to the range today and shot my mauser at 100m and it still hit way high with the rear sight at the lowest setting.  i also shot steel plates at 200m and it still shot a little high.  with a little bit of guess work i could dink the plates but i was aiming at the bottom om the plate.  any ideas as to what i should do know?
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 7:55:56 PM EDT
[#13]
nm
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Shooting high at short range is normal for these rifles.  If you want it to hit closer to the point of aim at shorter ranges you will need to install a higher front sight.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 9:15:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Try a six o'clock hold, see how that works. I'd bet the rifle is zeroed for 300m. On a man shaped target, the elevation might not matter much. I don't know why the various militaries didn't just train the troops to use the 300m setting instead. Or why they didn't include a battlesight setting like on the AK.

Maybe try laying off the cocaine, too...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top