Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2001 8:24:21 PM EDT
Do you know if the walther P99 is better then the Glock & 1911 i have $700.00 to spend I am going to get one soon can you help
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:27:00 PM EDT
[#1]
accuracy yes

sex appeal yes

reliability <still out on that one but so far equal>

grip and fit  FAR BETTER than glock

Buy it you wont be sorry.

mike
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:36:06 PM EDT
[#2]
In your dreams... everybody knows 1911 is the choice of real pros
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#3]
"1911 is the choice of real pros"  why do you think so
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:50:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Try all three, then get what you want..

The Glock is known for it's reliability.
The 1911 for it's service record
the P-99 is a Walther.. Nuff said..

PERSONALLY, I'd get a Glock 17L, but I already have a 1911 and a Walther (Although not a P-99..)

Meplat-
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, I know that the Walther P99 is better.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 8:58:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
"1911 is the choice of real pros"  why do you think so

I enjoy the 1911 a lot. I enjoy the Glock a lot. Don't know about the Walther. But you kind of come across as being fairly new to this(forgive me if I'm wrong)so I would recommend the Glock. Load, Aim, Squeeze. And thats it. For 700 you could get a nice used setup, some hicaps and a case of ammo.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Get yourself a real gun.... a sig.

But in reality, you are comparing very different guns, some are polymer, some are metal, some are SA only, and some are DA only.  The P99 can be DA, DAO, or QA(semi-SA).  You need to go to the range and rent the guns.  Then choose the style you want(DA, SA, DA/SA), and then pick from manufacturers offering those guns.  Try polymer framed guns(lighter, but more movement due to recoil) as well as metal framed guns(heavier, but less movement due to recoil).

How do they feel in your hands, and do you have any trouble with the position of the buttons/levers.  After you are done, shop around and buy one of the make/model you have chosen.  

If you already have other handguns, and are just getting the newer P99 to try something new, then go ahead.  You can always sell it if you don't like it or grow bored with it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#8]
i own all three.
accuracy my kimber gold match smokes them all.

Recoil walther much easier

durability should be the same between the glock and walther both tenifer treated

for carry i use my glock30. easier to conceal for me.

For fun or when concealed isn't a problem its the walther.
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#9]
MOPAR. They go faster.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 4:31:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I like the P99....At least it is a better looking than the Glock.

Link Posted: 10/25/2001 4:40:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I have all 3 guns too and the Walther feels much more comfortable in your hands compared to the Glock 19 and the Kimber.

Accuracy however goes to the Kimber and most number of rnds goes to Glock. I do feel that of the 3 pistols, the Glock is probably the most reliable since I have not had any FTF since I got it. I had some with the Kimber but I think it was because of the CMC mags. When I switch to Wilson's 8-rnd mags, didn't have FTF anymore.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 8:16:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Just remember to buy a winch for your truck so you can pull the DA trigger.

Link Posted: 10/25/2001 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I know looks don't matter but I find that pistol to be just plain uuuuuugggggly!
I have shot it and it seem to work fine, didn't like the trigger at all but that could be personal preference. I would take a 1911 first, Glock second, and a p99 last.

Just my opinion.

ps. I have yet to find a pistol that out shoots my  1911's.

Good Luck....
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 11:51:55 AM EDT
[#14]
gunman0 said it: get yourself a real gun... a Sig

My opinion is that Glocks are HIGHLY over rated and that they are actually no more reliable than any other pistol out there save the S&W.  Buy what fits your hand, you'll be better off in any case...  you cant shoot what doesn't fit.

Try a Browning Hi-Power, also.  Who can say anything bad about a Hi-Power?

JRB
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 12:00:51 PM EDT
[#15]
P99 is a tack driver. I shot one out of the box and had a ragged hole off-hand at 25 feet. However, I hate the trigger even more than I hate the Glock trigger. I prefer the 1911 over either of those, YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 12:18:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Very subjective question.  
All of these handguns do the same basic thing, just with some minor differences.  

That's the thing about handguns.  They basically all do the same thing.  Size, shape and power vary, but still.  

To me, no one is better than any other one, unless the other one in question is poorly built, couldnt' hit the broad side of a barn, and has lots of FTFs.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#17]
what exactly do you guys not like about the walthar trigger? the single action is FAR better than the glock. The double action is not bad at all. As good or better than most double action triggers i have fired.

If your comparing it to a tuned 1911 triger than i understand. But just realize  you not comparing apples to apples.

mike
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 12:45:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I have all three, with the most recent purchase being the Walther P99 .40  It shoots like a gem, and is an all around better performer than a glock.  Being a DAO, the trigger in double is acceptable and in single the standard play then crisp.

One problem I've had is with a Walther mag which I have tagged for watching.  Every so often a round jams by pointing too much down.  I can sit there and fiddle with the jam but can't determine what the deal is.

Hard to say what is better, I better go try the 1911 and glock again.

Link Posted: 10/25/2001 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#19]
do you think the 9mm or the 40 is better
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top