Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2009 8:17:34 PM EDT
i will be at the least parkerizing my romy G ak's i built, as they have been function checked and work 100% now. what i am debating is a protective coating/paint for over the park. in the past i have done moly resin with good results, however i am open to trying a new coating.
I am debating buying more moly resin and using that as i did that to my FAL and it has worked out ok.
powder coating is supposedly more rugged/durable. is this true? i have access to a professional powder coating shop, so it will not be a DIY kitchen oven job.
can it handle a mag dump and not blister or discolor at those temps?
is there any other type of finish i should consider? maybe the black oxide(hot method of applying)
thanks
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 9:28:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Powder Coating is very rugged and durable, but I don't know the max temps it can go to and what the max temp your barrel will hit, it might be close.   Seen automotive engines powder coated and it worked well, I thin the exterior of a barrel will get hotter then the exterior of a car engine, so that might NOT be a good indicator.

Also check the temps for curing the Powder Coating, I've "heard" gear heads do NOT powder coat Chrome Moly Steel because the temps to cure it will weaken the steel, so they paint it instead.  Of course that may be different kinds of Chrome Moly Steel, I'd think a barrel would get heat treatment and use the alloy that would NOT weaken at higher temps.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:27:06 PM EDT
[#3]
The CZ Polycoat uses a phosphate (parkerized) base with a polymer paint over it.

A typical automotive powdercoat job may cause some clearance issues since powdercoating is fairly thick compared to most firearm finishes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top