Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/3/2009 6:34:19 PM EST
i got a bunch of 9mm cases i need to de-prime.my 9mm dies are on backorder for a few months. is there a way to manually de-prime the cases without a decapping die? like maybe with an icepick, or awl, pushing the primer out from the inside of the case?

or is there a manual de-priming tool?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:40:55 PM EST
Use a die for like a 45 or a 40 so a 308 win or some thing big enough it wont size the case that should do it
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:54:31 PM EST
Why on earth would you wait months for 9mm dies?
You could have had these 6 weeks ago.. Lee dies are the best IMO and the cheapest.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=885350
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:56:08 PM EST
Yeah you can do it that way too but another good thing to do would be to order a universal decapping die, this way you never have to worry about having the proper dies for any brass. As it is I have one and it is great, all I have dies for are 38/357, 40, and 308. I have decapped 9mm and .223 with it as well among others and not having the dies but a shellholder for them is really the only thing extra thing you would need.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:15:19 PM EST
Another way is Lee's manual decapper. Bottom right of pic in paper tray.

I mounted mine in an oak block.

They are less than $10 I think.

Here I am deprimming live primers with light hits with the rubber end of the hammer.

Wear safety glasses if you do this.

Of course it will work on spent primers also.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:43:13 PM EST
And WHY would you need to just deprime while waiting on a set of dies??? I only deprime as part of the sizing process...why waste time creating an extra, un-needed step?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:53:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By SMPrider112:
And WHY would you need to just deprime while waiting on a set of dies??? I only deprime as part of the sizing process...why waste time creating an extra, un-needed step?

Maybe the primer pockets need to be swaged?

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:00:37 PM EST

Originally Posted By golfroot:

And maybe he would like to tumble dirty cases before he sizes them.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 10:03:50 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/3/2009 10:06:32 PM EST by ma96782]
Try hammer and anvil.......same idea as the LEE de-capper in the pics above.

From an old post......

2) With once fired military brass, this next step only has to be done once. You could de-cap primers with the standard de-cap/re-sizer die. Though due to the primer crimp, there is a high incidence of parts breakage. IMHO, de-cap the once fired military brass using either, a “universal” de-capper die or with a skinny nail/punch and anvil (with a hole in it, large enough for the old primer to fall out of, but still support the case rim). Or, buy the LEE military primer de-capper set (#90102-.30 cal., #90103-.22 cal.). Simply, run the nail/punch down through the case neck. The nail will enter the flash hole and rest against the old primer. Put the case on the anvil (old primer centered over the anvil’s hole). Then, with a hammer hit the nail/punch head and knock out the old primer, letting the old primer fall through the hole in the anvil. Yes, the military crimp is sometimes that stubborn.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:30:05 AM EST
Originally Posted By MZMan:
Why on earth would you wait months for 9mm dies?
You could have had these 6 weeks ago.. Lee dies are the best IMO and the cheapest.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=885350

the 3 die set is the one i backordered.

ill get the one you linked to instead. thanks.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:31:37 AM EST
Originally Posted By SandHillsHillbilly:

Originally Posted By golfroot:

And maybe he would like to tumble dirty cases before he sizes them.

yup...that was my reason.

just wanted to tumble a lot of brass on my new tumbler.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 8:59:13 AM EST
You will probably have to pick media out of your flash holes if you deprime first. Tumbling does nothing for primer pockets. Leave the primers in for tumbling and save yourself some trouble.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:27:49 AM EST
Originally Posted By Birkleberry:
You will probably have to pick media out of your flash holes if you deprime first. Tumbling does nothing for primer pockets. Leave the primers in for tumbling and save yourself some trouble.

i was using the dish soap and lemon juice method, from this thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=286777

it cleans the primer pockets really well, from the looks of it.

thats why i wanted to de-prime, then tumble the brass.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:54:06 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 4:06:09 PM EST
Really no point, as you're gonna have to run them all through the resizing die anyway.

Hammer and nail on the vise, if you must, or the tool shown by dryflash.
Top Top