Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/27/2002 12:39:57 PM EDT
do you have to follow the same type process to obtain a full auto or can you just go out and buy one from the factory and regesiter it. as much as it pains me to admit I am ignorant in the area, so guys if you don't mind. please help me out.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 12:49:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/27/2002 12:55:46 PM EDT by shaggy]
An individual cannot register to make a new machinegun since 1986. In May of 1986 there was a cutoff - no new ones for unlicensed individuals since them. What was made and registered before that are grandfathered and can be transferred between owners. Supressors (silencers) however, are a different matter and can still be made and registered. They have to be registered before they're made though - you can't buy an unregistered one and register it at your leisure. Its registered when made and every successive transfer of it has to be on the NFRTR. If you make it yourself you have to get an approved form 1 before you start.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 12:56:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/27/2002 12:58:07 PM EDT by gregw45]
First you have to live in a state where they aren't phohibited.

Then, find a reputable Class 3 dealer. Here's a link: www.subguns.com/c2c3/c2c3.htm

He'll guide you through the paperwork, fingerprinting, and hoop-jumping that the BATF wants you perform. Then, if all is approved you get your suppressor in a few months. A sound suppressor also counts as a flash suppressor in the BATF's eyes and counts as an evil feature on your post-ban AR.

Lots more info here:


Link Posted: 1/27/2002 1:25:52 PM EDT
thanks for the information guys. ps thats what I was hoping for
Top Top