Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2001 7:07:03 PM EDT
My best friend from high school just called me tonight. He and his cousin just inherited the family business since none of the direct heirs wanted it. They own a small machine shop in Ohio. It is floundering with its subcontract business moving south (f*cking NAFTA). They are looking for a new market and product line to get into. They have some heavy duty CNC but no bending or folding. They have manufactured tank parts in the past for the USARMY but nobody is really marketing their shop anymore. I think they have about 20 employees.

I had already been considering the idea of getting my FFL but this might change things considerably.

I told him that I was willing to sink some cash into the biz as a partner but there is no business plan to speak of. I have tons of exp. with startups (sold 2) and corporate finance, but never had any desire to go into manufacturing.... till now...

Anyone have any ideas about this? Parts? Receivers? Aftermarket?

Any of you existing mfgs need subcontract work with the increase in demand?
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 4:58:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Is this near Lima?  Just curious...
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 11:45:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Nope... all the way on the border of Indiana in Preble.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 11:49:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope... all the way on the border of Indiana in Preble.

Is it near decature?
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 11:53:19 AM EDT
[#4]
You could always go broke trying to make cheap onshore knockoffs of Makarovs
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Remington 788 bolts.
Chrome lined AR15 barrels.
GI forged sight towers.
Barrelling services.
Custom metal signs if they have a plasma cutter and CNC.
M1A and FAL receivers.
General gunsmithing.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
M1A...receivers.

I second that idea.  What about also offering 80% receivers for, ohhh I don't know, M14/M1A's, AR's, FAL's, MG42's, etc...

Money moght be in inexpensive M1A, FAL, & AR Receivers.

Libertas an Mortis!
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 2:10:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Ben,
 I'm in Montgomery Co. right next door to ya. I drive thru Preble twice a day going to and coming from work in IN.

I don't have any money but I'd love to get involved somehow if you make a go of it. I've got several ideas for parts that nobody makes.
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 3:55:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ben,
 I'm in Montgomery Co. right next door to ya. I drive thru Preble twice a day going to and coming from work in IN.

I don't have any money but I'd love to get involved somehow if you make a go of it. I've got several ideas for parts that nobody makes.

I am actually in Cincy, but I grew up in Eaton. My family and many friends are still there.

I talked to my friend again today and he is good to go with whatever I think we could sell. He will get me the research on all the costing for anything that I come up with... so I have to get started on some Excel spreadsheets.

And here I thought I would be taking it easy through the first of the year.

Link Posted: 11/13/2001 1:14:31 PM EDT
[#9]
How about this for an idea, Saw a guy at the range that a free-float tube on his AR, But, had cut a slot in the bottom of the tube so his bi-pod could be moved forward or back, one of the slickest mods I've seen, Bipod was loosened with a thumbscrew, and slid where he wanted it,instantly adjustable,I loved it, it was so simple, could be easily done in a machine shop
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 8:40:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Muzzle brakes, barrels, free float tubes.

Waterdog
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 9:07:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I dont know what the procedures to get a firearm amnufactures license is but have you seen the prices of recievers for m1's and m1a's?? looks like a good place to make money to me. As long as you make a good product and send the word out on the gun boards...pat
   ps for the idea i get the first one...
Link Posted: 11/17/2001 11:35:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Howsa bout making me a .50 cal conversion kit for my AR?

yeah, I know it's already being done. But for 2 grand?? and yes I know how much a .50 is from armalite, barrett etc. But if weren't for rifling the barrel I could prolly build one meself. But of course I'm lazy enough I rather just pay you to do it!
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 2:18:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Ben,

DITTO. I too am in monkey county and have some ideas, dose the shop do any welding I.E. Tig/mig.

By the way ,in an unrelated comment, This is my 100th post. I know I am but a comparative newbe in respect to lordtrader, godblesstexas, imbologo and so on, but I am happy to reach this milestone. Iwill be moving over the Thanks giving holiday so I will be off-line for a few day in case any body wants to get a hold of me (not that anybody ever would).
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 3:54:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ben,

DITTO. I too am in monkey county and have some ideas, dose the shop do any welding I.E. Tig/mig.

By the way ,in an unrelated comment, This is my 100th post. I know I am but a comparative newbe in respect to lordtrader, godblesstexas, imbologo and so on, but I am happy to reach this milestone. Iwill be moving over the Thanks giving holiday so I will be off-line for a few day in case any body wants to get a hold of me (not that anybody ever would).

Yeah they weld.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top